IT01s IEM. A new view to your music.
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #46 of 669
Yep, with much more listening and burn in time, the IT01s is very different. Very solid and cohesive. Can be mesmerizing. Lows are exceptional, mids are right there and the nice detail from the highs completes the musical image. Nice crowd depth on live music also and some sounds I hadn't noticed before but kept back where they should be. No peaks that are tiring to the ears and the form factor of the IT01s feels good in my ears. I am lucky, the stock tips that come on the IT01s fit just right for my ears. Listening to Pink Floyd, final cut, right now. Great fun.

Dec 16, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #48 of 669
Can be mesmerizing
My English is not that rich :) I'm glad to read that your impression is similar to mine.

I use the same MandarinES Symbio W as with IT04.

Dec 16, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #49 of 669
Still early stages, and I guess there arent many around that has demoed these yet, though - would love a comparison against the Kanas Pro
+1
Also wish some impressions and measurements vs. Kanas Pro. Maybe @crinacle can get his hands on Kanas Pro ?

Yep, with much more listening and burn in time, the IT01s is very different. Very solid and cohesive. Can be mesmerizing. Lows are exceptional, mids are right there and the nice detail from the highs completes the musical image. Nice crowd depth on live music also and some sounds I hadn't noticed before but kept back where they should be. No peaks that are tiring to the ears and the form factor of the IT01s feels good in my ears. I am lucky, the stock tips that come on the IT01s fit just right for my ears. Listening to Pink Floyd, final cut, right now. Great fun.
So, in Your opinion, ppl planning to get IT01 should save up and definitely go with IT01S ?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #50 of 669
Short write-up on the IT01S vs IT01. The bass quantity on the IT01S is less than the IT01 and boasts a quicker decay. Midrange on the IT01S is much clearer and vocals are more prominent. Treble presentation on the IT01S is livelier. Soundstage on the IT01S has a slightly larger expansion.
upload_2018-12-17_12-15-28.png

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #51 of 669
Short write-up on the IT01S vs IT01. The bass quantity on the IT01S is less than the IT01 and boasts a quicker decay. Midrange on the IT01S is much clearer and vocals are more prominent. Treble presentation on the IT01S is livelier. Soundstage on the IT01S has a slightly larger expansion.
Same question to You - in Your opinion, ppl planning to get IT01 should save up and definitely go with IT01S ? Is the price leap justified enough?

Dec 17, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #52 of 669
Same question to You - in Your opinion, ppl planning to get IT01 should save up and definitely go with IT01S ? Is the price leap justified enough?
Well after seeing the response and some reviews on other blogs

They are not from same bloodline or same tuning.

IT01 is more relaxed and more Harman kardon In ear response compared to the S. S seems like diffuse field.

Harman kardon response is good for enjoying and relaxing whereas diffuse field is more for diffuse nature of sound and critical(this is from experience, I know the exact history of the response graphs, the Sean olive etc.)

It01s can give you more intimate vocals and precise imaging whereas it01 is more smooth and natural(just the bass bleed present but not annoying)

So I dont think a step up.... It is like what normal people will understand as High res(airy treble and exact imaging).

But CNT and DLC can make great differences in overall resolution, pace and timing(spectral decay). So overall superior but different tuning.

Anew U1 is step up compared to iBasso it01 but not wort of the price as they just cleared the bass bleed and some lower mids and upper treble. I can live with iBasso instead of spending extra

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #53 of 669
I feel it really depends on your music preference. Basshead will definitely take the IT01 over the IT01S. However, if one is not craving for more bass presence, the IT01S is better with clearer mids and livelier treble. Yes IMO and justified as it is similar to from Jupiter to Andromeda. Cheers! :) YMMV.

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #54 of 669
I listen quite a bit to music at a low volume, usually classical, for isolation and focus at work when I am typing reports. Would I be correct in assuming the original IT01 would be a better fit for what I am looking for?

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #55 of 669
I feel it really depends on your music preference. Basshead will definitely take the IT01 over the IT01S. However, if one is not craving for more bass presence, the IT01S is better with clearer mids and livelier treble. Yes IMO and justified as it is similar to from Jupiter to Andromeda. Cheers! :) YMMV.

It looks like these could be made for me :ksc75smile:, less Bass, clearer Mids, same or livelier Treble. Above all I'm looking for better passive noise cancellation for traveling on airplanes. I am still considering the Etymotic ER3XR for this. Have ordered some spinfits to see if they have a better seal on both my IT01 and EPH-100. The latter ones have great passive noise cancellation with stock tips, but the silicon tips have gone broken after a some 3-4 years of use and spare ones are not offered by Yamaha.

I'v never been a fan of foam tips because they make my ears hurt, so that's not an option for me.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #56 of 669
Well after seeing the response and some reviews on other blogs

It01s can give you more intimate vocals and precise imaging whereas it01 is more smooth and natural(just the bass bleed present but not annoying)

So I dont think a step up.... It is like what normal people will understand as High res(airy treble and exact imaging).

But CNT and DLC can make great differences in overall resolution, pace and timing(spectral decay). So overall superior but different tuning.

Just to clarify, your take is based on people's reviews on IT01s and/or the components that make the gear, and NOT based on you actually trying and comparing both of them?

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #57 of 669
Just to clarify, your take is based on people's reviews on IT01s and/or the components that make the gear, and NOT based on you actually trying and comparing both of them?
well i have old IT01 and if people are comparing it as the review say... i just compiled the messages above thats all

Yup, component do make up for the audio quality but the tuning really matters

you can make decay tight but if weird sound tuning, then it will sound weird
distortion can be lowered but tuners raise 2nd harmonic distortion to get musical

well go read headphone and loudspeaker handbook by john borwick and some other authors, it is clearly mentioned that driver materials and structure define its ability to speak, and designing and tuning is what makes it complete

some people are born with amazing vocals, are gifted singer and if guided perfectly, turns out to be legend but if not, turns out to be failiure
same goes with normal people, if trained extensively, turns out great

but normal people are hard work upon compared to talented

same goes with speaker system

comparing a vintage driver to new era full range is like comparing a Buggati veyron to 1965 ford daytona GT. so driver do the major effect to sound

in open baffle setup, you will get to know about the real spec

tuning is secondary but also a major part

as we can make a really expensive pair of driver sound like crap, and very crappy speaker sound good. it is onto us how we do it. But if we design both crap, better one would be expensive one

well lot of factors goes in driver making(Qts, Qms etc)

i am mentioning in layman terms

by the way, if it is really CNT and DLC with Tesla, then this can change the game as i mentioned mass and young modulus above and these do effect the diaphragm annular distortion which is still a major issue for a dynamic driver

it may be better than DITA in technical term

who knows??

i have IE800s, DITA Truth edition, sony mdr1000, and some ocharaku in flagship dynamic
ibasso it01, Final E5000 and TFZ king pro on mid range
TinAudio T2 on lower budget(True champions)

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #58 of 669
I listen quite a bit to music at a low volume, usually classical, for isolation and focus at work when I am typing reports. Would I be correct in assuming the original IT01 would be a better fit for what I am looking for?

IT01S is probably better. While the bass and energy on the IT01 is good (I own it), it’s pretty bad in the midrange and this especially shows when watching movies or scrolling YouTube. I’d think IT01S is better for classical judging by the reduced sub-bass and improved midrange + treble I see on crinacle’s measurements.

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #59 of 669
well i have old IT01 and if people are comparing it as the review say... i just compiled the messages above thats all

Yup, component do make up for the audio quality but the tuning really matters

you can make decay tight but if weird sound tuning, then it will sound weird
distortion can be lowered but tuners raise 2nd harmonic distortion to get musical

well go read headphone and loudspeaker handbook by john borwick and some other authors, it is clearly mentioned that driver materials and structure define its ability to speak, and designing and tuning is what makes it complete

some people are born with amazing vocals, are gifted singer and if guided perfectly, turns out to be legend but if not, turns out to be failiure
same goes with normal people, if trained extensively, turns out great

but normal people are hard work upon compared to talented

same goes with speaker system

comparing a vintage driver to new era full range is like comparing a Buggati veyron to 1965 ford daytona GT. so driver do the major effect to sound

in open baffle setup, you will get to know about the real spec

tuning is secondary but also a major part

as we can make a really expensive pair of driver sound like crap, and very crappy speaker sound good. it is onto us how we do it. But if we design both crap, better one would be expensive one

well lot of factors goes in driver making(Qts, Qms etc)

i am mentioning in layman terms

by the way, if it is really CNT and DLC with Tesla, then this can change the game as i mentioned mass and young modulus above and these do effect the diaphragm annular distortion which is still a major issue for a dynamic driver

it may be better than DITA in technical term

who knows??

i have IE800s, DITA Truth edition, sony mdr1000, and some ocharaku in flagship dynamic
ibasso it01, Final E5000 and TFZ king pro on mid range
TinAudio T2 on lower budget(True champions)

So, it's like an objective approach but still somewhat a hypothesis about the IT01s' sound since you haven't tried them yet? That's what I'm getting based on your reply.

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #60 of 669
IT01S is probably better. While the bass and energy on the IT01 is good (I own it), it’s pretty bad in the midrange and this especially shows when watching movies or scrolling YouTube. I’d think IT01S is better for classical judging by the reduced sub-bass and improved midrange + treble I see on crinacle’s measurements.

Thanks for your insight. I love violin concertos so the quality of the mids is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back