It is THAT time again: help me choose between electrostats (that are in production)
Nov 27, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm an electrostat devotee but I will admit that you could also consider upgrading your amp and perhaps source to truly get all the HD800 can offer. Fkclo did an amp comparison some time back that might help you if you chose that course of action.

I agree with this. You should consider upgrading your amp. IMO the only stax that the HD800 does not equal or beat is the sr-007 and possibly the 4070 (I haven't heard the 404LE tho). But I suspect you will find the sr-007 too dark and possibly the bass too heavy. A better amp (maybe balanced) can tame the highs and bring out bass of the HD800s.

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 28
Wow.. interesting thread indeed. I am a noob by comparison! I dream of one day owning the HD-800 let alone electrostats. Have you read about the Orpheus? I know it's not in production but man could you imagine what they would sound like? If anyone knows headphones, it's sennheiser.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #18 of 28
nwkid: The Orpheus and HE-90s have been present at a number of Head-fi meets. You can also get vintage electrostat rigs for quite reasonable prices now, as they have been around for quite a few decades.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO even the Woo GES isn't providing absolutely everything the O2 or the Sigma 404s can deliver (I pair both of these with solid state amps to get a better sysnergy and driving power). Although I acknowledge the strengths of the 404s (haven't heard the 404LE), my preference in Lambdas is the Lambda Normals, although I respect spritzer's comments in the Stax Thread IIRC that imply the 404LE improves on the 404 sound signature.

Having said all that, though, the O2 attracts for its incredible detail and, yes, its powerful bass reproduction (with the right amp, which gives it darker characteristsics but it only seems truly 'dark' when it is underdriven IMHO). However its headstage is far more limited - but the detail is incredible within that headstage.

The Sigma range are the headstage kings of the ESP range, with the Sigma 404s the best for an even and full SQ reproduction with that soundstage. Paired with an excellent source and driving amp I agree with johnbuchanan that they give the O2s a run for which headphone to reach for (they can't match the detail of the O2s but that soundstage can be so involving
wink_face.gif
).

I would suggest that if you found the 404LE over the HE60 and the Jade because it was so full and open sounding with such a nice midrange then that was to do with system synergy. With the right tubes in the Woo GES I can't find a more true midrange than that offered by the HE60 (Good O2 combos can almost get there for me but not quite - but then again I'm not investing in the absolute top WES/KGBH level of amps to get absolutely everything the O2s can deliver). So bear in mind that its the overall package that you need to identify for yourself - the HE60 continues to improve with a good powerful amp as well, but is weak in the bass area compared to most other top range ESPs. I won't sell it, though, because for some music in my setups it is unsurpassable (but I'm a big fan of female vocalists, so it also has to do with musical taste
wink_face.gif
).

As to whether you'd "fall in love" with a sound I'd only reinforce that none of the combos are perfect and that in some ways you'll need to assess against the forgiveness of the system (so you can listen to a wide range of your source material and enjoy it) versus the fullest possible reproduction (whether that be atmospherics strong (such as with the Sigma 404s) or detail strong (such as with the O2s)).

And don't forget the most important point - this is all a journey - enjoy the discoveries as you find what compromises work for you and your preferred music.

Wow! Thanks! I am not Anouk but this was such a helpful insights
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #21 of 28
Hello,
Thanks Webbie and others for all the great advice.
To clarify, it is not really possible to upgrade my hd800 rig anymore, it has already been sold. I also doubt it would have been as easy as going with a really great electrostat rig (remember, I am no diyer). And I doubt if the hd800 could have developed the sound of the stats I heard at the meet.
My rig, as I envision it now, would consist of the lavry da11 as source and then the exstata hybrid as amp (driven from the balanced lavry outputs) and then whatever headphone I choose.
Webbie, the headstage you mentioned is really pulling me towards the 404le.
I am not forgetting the koss though, but dont you have to totally modify that headphone for it to work with an amp like the exstata (remove stuff from the earcups, recable it)?
Thanks again for all the great advice and insights,
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Midrange and soundstage are very important to me.

Hi Anouk,
Have you tried AKG K1000? I think you could settle down with these.
Cheers,
Adam

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #23 of 28
Anouk,

I received your pm and tried to send a reply but your pm box is full. Let me know when there is room and I will attempt to resend it.

Chris

Nov 27, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had an O2mk1 paired with a KGSS and never fell in love with it. ...

Gee we usually agree on everything, but not this. I believe my KGSS is the same model as the one you had, and I think my pairing it with O2 Mk2-with-Spritzer mod (should be like your Mk1) is fantastic.

When I first got it, I couldn't stop listening, even with an old s.e. CDP from the 90's (lord alone knows what the internal DAC was). With a high-end balanced source it is amazing.

We'll duke this out at the NJ Mini TBD

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #26 of 28
How do K1000 & 404s compare in terms of soundstage? I also have been looking for one of these for the 'most speaker like' presentation. As other have pointed out, My O2 sounds great within the headstage, but the sound never get off my head. (wrong description??)

Nov 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #28 of 28
Hello,
I think the k1000 has one of the best headstages of all headphones I have ever tried.
At the time I thought the hd800 was a revelation in regards soudnstage/imaging but the k1000 was even better.
Its just I kloved the total tonality, warmtha nd midrange of the 404le at the time. This is not to say that I never will get the k1000, I even could connect it to my current speaker amp according to some but I am not willing ot take that risk.
Greetings, Anouk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back