It has been a while......
Sep 30, 2011 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wirbeltier

100+ Head-Fier
....that I have been lurking around here. But that was for the best of all reasons: I was very satisfied with my super-fi 5s :)

But now they are starting to fall apart and I fear that I have to look for some new in-ears.

What would you say: which are closest to the sf 5s? I like the slightly forward sound and the dry and thumpy bass. Great for rock, and they groove!

What comes close or betters?

Thanks
Klaus

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Budget up to 400 maybe, and I like my music to rock 
etysmile.gif

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Sony EX1000 + ZO (highely recommended), Westone 4, UM3x, JVC FX700, Sennheiser IE8 and MTP Copper.

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
....that I have been lurking around here. But that was for the best of all reasons: I was very satisfied with my super-fi 5s
smily_headphones1.gif

But now they are starting to fall apart and I fear that I have to look for some new in-ears.
What would you say: which are closest to the sf 5s? I like the slightly forward sound and the dry and thumpy bass. Great for rock, and they groove!
What comes close or betters?
Thanks
Klaus

I too enjoyed the SF5 PRO's. In fact, they were my second in-ears (after my E2C's quite a few years ago), and I was very fond of their signature. With a budget of $400, you have practically the entire universal market at your disposal, which means your options are anything but limited. Having owned and A/B'ed both the TF10 and SF5 simultaneously, I found the SF5's signature more balanced, and as you described, slightly more forward all around. I can, of course, only recommend based upon what I've owned. Hence, with the SF5 PRO's signature in mind, I'd personally recommend the following (in no particular order): IE7/IE8, TF10, UM3X, MTPC, Miles Davis Tribute, Miles Davis Trumpet, Atrio M5 (MG7), EX600/EX1000 (if you don't mind sub-par isolation), GR07, DDM2 (Radius TWF21), and Klipsch X10.

Quite an extended list, I know. But take it from me my friend, aside from personal preference, any of the aforementioned are equally as competent in their own right. I'd read the various reviews here on Head-Fi, and narrow down to whichever one(s) appeal to you most. All the best! 
smile.gif

Oct 1, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 7
...thank you all!

Yes, my available budget means some flexibility, but as it is so difficult to compare IEMs before you buy, your opinions are highly appreciated. I have managed to listen to some other IEMs apart from mine and I noticed that some of them I dont like at all - albeit being very good phones, absolutely speaking. For example, the Shures did not cut it for me, neither did it the TF10s...

So, I have some choice, but it would be good if it will be the right one in the end :)

Will go through some reviews of the ones you mentioned and then decide.

Thanks again
Klaus 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back