Issues Spanning All Re-Shelling-Service Providers Topic 2) Cable Sets
May 4, 2011 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

LoveLearn

New Head-Fier
The following are from my edited notes taken from reading about 2000 notes by other writers touching on this topic.  I edit my notes to shorten, simplify and clarify.

Ultimate Ear's custom cables are very light and comfortable, look great, and seem to minimize microphonics.
But they turn green through usage.
UE and Westone cables appear to use the same wire.
But UE cables have longer memory wires and use connectors formed to insert into recessed sockets.
Fisher's new $30 cables (not their earlier $20 cables) are VERY similar and perhaps are
identical to Westone cables.
All main-stream cable connectors plug into the same industry standard receptacle sockets,
so they may be interchanged. This includes cable sets from Fisher, Weston, JH, Ultimate Ear Custom, and Twag.

Fisher (In-Earz) sells black, white, clear and beige cable sets about 48 to 50 inches long.
Fisher's $20 early black cables were more flexible than their stiffer $20 early clear cables.
Fisher's left cable plug has 3-dots @ top & 1-dot below.      3 Dots = Left
Fisher's right cable plug has 2-dots @ top & 1-dot below.    2 Dots = Right
Fisher does not currently sell a microphone cable set.

Stock Triple-Fi cable plugs are sized slightly differently. Their plug pins can be modified by crimping to enable them to plug into the industry-standard socket.
If a Fisher remold keeps Triple-Fi 10 cables, they reuse its original non-industry-standard socket.
If a Fisher remold uses UE custom, Westone, or any other industry standard cable plug, they install an industry standard compliant receptacle socket.
Fisher representative Kaysen said, "You can use the TF10 cable if you would like.
We have figured out a way to keep the stock socket.
Our cables will not fit into this stock socket though."
I found my wire crimper and crimped stock TF10 cable connector pins.
If you carefully examine the Fisher cable, they do that too.
AND IT FITS into the standard socket.
After crimping, it fits into standard sockets much tighter and more-snugly. 
The crimped TF plug is not as hard to pull out of industry standard sockets as Fisher cable plugs, but removal definitely requires effort and no longer just falls out.

Fidelity Custom Earphones replacement cable set available from In Ear Systems, Inc.
are 50 inches long & clear for $30.00 + $7.50 shipping.

The most common wire breakage locations are where they are acutely and repeatedly bent.
Memory guide wires projecting from cable plugs reduce that acute repeated bending.
Functionally-similar springy cable guides have been attached to electrical device cable ends for at least 100 years for the same reason.

While not specifically targeted toward re-shell cables, the following experience-based comments merit consideration:
Earphone Solutions has collected hard data since since the first replaceable-cable universal earphone launch.
That data record shows replaceable cable earphones failing much more frequently than fixed cable earphones.
Yet customers expect removable cables make in-ear phone investments safer.
We don't yet have enough data about the relatively new SE535, SE425, SE315, UM2-RC & UM3X-RC to know if their failure profile will follow the same path.
My personal fixed-cable Weston UM2s have not failed yet and have been continuously used for 5 years.
Fixed-cable failures during their 2-year warranty are replaced/repaired without charge if their warranty registration was properly submitted.
Replaceable-cable failures shift early replacement apparent responsibility toward owners and away from manufacturers and vendors.
Replacement cables can create big sales volume. Earphone Solutions sold many thousands of replacement cables.
Customers who bought replacement cable style in-ear phones apparently expected to buy replacement cables rather than filing a manufacturer warranty claim for early cable failures.
Is that BETTER for consumers? I don't think so. My everyday set is a fixed cable UM3X.
I also love my SE535, but the way Shure built those cables makes it seem that they would never need replacement.
I think Shure & Westone are responding to customer demand for replaceable cables.
Most customers believe replaceable cables are better.
I don't share that view, because I know the return rate; I know about replaceable cable sales; and I know about our customer calls and feedback.
Hard data collected over several years indicates that replaceable cables are a "weak link."
I suggest re-thinking replaceable "cable freedom." Some replaceable cable buyers have been replacing expensive cables every few months.
I've had this conversation with both customers and manufacturers.
I only offer replaceable cables because customers want them.
I will stick with my fixed cable set.
Less moving parts & less connecting points predicts more reliability and therefore better service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back