Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
Apr 17, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #511 of 963

Quote:
     Quote:

Yep, Windsor nailed it. I would've given the exact same answers.

My software signal chain is basically like this:

J River Media Center, running plugins (in the order of the signal chain): Easy-Q, Isone, Volume Leveling (track based, fixed, +5 dB).

If I'm listening to speakers, then I add the ARC system in front of Easy-Q, deactivate Isone, and keep the Volume Leveling.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #513 of 963

Ok guys the instructions on the VST thread are outdated so here it is for simple one's

You need
foobar
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=84947 (wiki- http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components/VST_adapter)
http://www.toneboosters.com/download/ (get x86, doesn't matter if you have x64 system)

Now go to foobar, and go to hydrogen audio. Download the stable release. Instal it in foobar. Restart foobar. Now download the tone boosters and move to a folder anywhere. Now open up foobar hit CTRL+P to open up prefrences(remember, the hydrogenaudio plugin VST.dbl or something should be installed by now). now in "components" section click the drop down arrow. See the VST Plugins place? Now add the VSTS from the toneboosters folder. I added all the one's that said "isone" and then reverb and "omnisone" and also "timemachine" 

for original plugins:
http://audioz.info/audiosoft/10016-jeroen-breebaart-isone-pro-vst-v101.html

Try these too...and wow..these sound like I have studio monitor's...but I don't!!!!

Ok just tested original plugin's.....the tonebooster one's are vastly superior to them :)I am currently using 

"TB Isone Surround" "TB Time Machine" "TB Omnisone" adding and taking each one off adds or reduces an effect slightly (you want isone surround to stay and mixmatch the next two)

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #514 of 963
I tried this plugin and the effect is convincing but at the end of the day the reduction in sound quality was too much.  Lower frequencies trail off and become muddy.  Bass guitars and tubas lose texture.  Percussion trails off and loses punch and reverb.  Any of the HTRF functions make high frequncies clip and add sibilance.  Cymbals sound tinny processed and fake as hell with it enabled.

I really wanted to like it because soundstage and image are super important to me.  But I just can't lose myself in the music when the processing brings out such flaws.

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #515 of 963
Can you run your iTunes library through it?

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #517 of 963
     Quote:
Can you run your iTunes library through it?

Yes. One way is by using Audio Hijack Pro to route iTunes to TB Isone. You can download a demo of AHP and try it for free.

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #518 of 963
To Lunatique and Windsor:

Thank you so much for your prompt and valuable replies.
People with your experience, knowledge and willingness to help make this community very beautiful!
happy_face1.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #519 of 963

Quote:
     Quote:

Yes. One way is by using Audio Hijack Pro to route iTunes to TB Isone. You can download a demo of AHP and try it for free.

Thank you................

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #520 of 963
At first time I really enjoyed the tb isone but now I'm not sure I like it. Currently I'm trying redline monitor, it doesn't bring the sound outside of your head like isone and it doesn't seem to have so much reverberant room effect, but it might keep the sound more like the original. tb isone may even on minimum settings alter the sound too much? Still testing. 

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #521 of 963

Quote:
At first time I really enjoyed the tb isone but now I'm not sure I like it. Currently I'm trying redline monitor, it doesn't bring the sound outside of your head like isone and it doesn't seem to have so much reverberant room effect, but it might keep the sound more like the original. tb isone may even on minimum settings alter the sound too much? Still testing. 

For all of you who are concerned about the reverberation of Isone (or how Redline Monitor is different), you kind of have to just see it this way:

-If you want to keep the sound as close to how headphone's frequency response is supposed to sound like, being only centimeters away from your eardrums, but want crossfeed so you don't suffer from the drastic stereo panning inherent to headphones, then Redline Monitor is what you want (or any other simple crossfeed out there).

-If you want your headphones to actually sound like speakers placed in front of you, at a distance, inside a room, then Isone is what you want. BUT, you have to keep in mind that if your headphones became speakers placed in a room in front of you at a distance, then it will no longer sound exactly like how headphones sound when they are only centimeters away from your eardrums on either side of your head. To expect otherwise would be completely missing the whole point of using Isone. With Isone, your headphone is SUPPOSED to sound different--that's why you'd use Isone in the first place--to make them sound like speakers in a room, not headphones on your head. 

So if you don't know what your goals are or have incorrect expectations, you're going to dislike Isone, because you are not using it for the right reasons. If you don't like Isone, just use Redline Monitor or other simple crossfeeds. But don't continue to expect Isone to sound like headphones on your head. It is supposed to like speakers put at a distance in front of you, inside a room--which WILL change the frequency response of your headphone as the sound interaction with the complex math of HRTF, which takes into consideration how your head and ear shape/sizes alter the frequency response of sounds, as well as how the sound interacts with the acoustics of the virtual room. 

I'm not sure why that is so hard to understand. If you take a pair of speakers and put them right next to your ears, at the same distance as how close headphones are to your ears, it's going to sound different from when the speakers are placed at a distance in front of you, while the sound is shaped by the acoustics of the room. You wouldn't expect the speakers to sound exactly the same in the two different placements, would you? Then why would you expect your headphones to sound exactly the same when Isone puts it in a virtual room and placed at a distance in front of you? 

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #522 of 963
true as sounding like a room it will change the sound, it's just whether it still sounds good. I like the sound of real speaker s in my room, but do I like isone, does it replicate speakers well? Still need to listen more. I just got my lcd-2 r2 bamboos so still mucking around. Also been trying dolby headphone, I'm not sure how it works as far as applying crossfeed and hrtf.

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #524 of 963
It's not just reverberation.  It completely mangles the sound.  Bass sounds muddy, percussion sounds wrong, cymbals have have compressed tinny sounds.  The rest of your post you try and explain why these are acceptable trade offs to get the image right.  And I disagree 100%.

In my chain I currnetly have a Lavry DA11 and a SPL Phonitor.  Both the Phonitor and DA11 are capable of moving the image to center, and the Phonitor has adjustable crossfeed.  Neither of these activities attempt to simulate room [size=10pt]acoustics [/size]and add echo and reverb, so it's not quite the same as Isone. That said, the effect of correcting the image is much much better than Isone.  It doesn't distort the sound in any audible ways.  I can get my headphones to sound like they are in front of me as monitors, rather than headphones.  The effect is much more convincing than the isone because it doesn't mangle the sound so much that it now sounds like I'm listening to youtube on low quality. 

You go on to attempt to tell everyone that if they don't like it, that we are using it for the wrong reasons.  That is evangelist talk.  You shouldn't dismiss people's opinions just because they aren't in line with yours.  My goals are the exact same as yours.  To reduce brain fatigue by having the sound coming out of my headphones sound natural.  My goal with audio reproduction is to attempt to get my system to sound as close to all of the live events I've been to as possible.  Imaging is a big part of that.

For the cost, Isone is a great product and I really hope that they continue to improve their processing so the sound will have a bit more fidelity after the plugins are done.  For now, however, a correct image is simply not worth the reduction in sound quality.

Quote:

For all of you who are concerned about the reverberation of Isone (or how Redline Monitor is different), you kind of have to just see it this way:

-If you want to keep the sound as close to how headphone's frequency response is supposed to sound like, being only centimeters away from your eardrums, but want crossfeed so you don't suffer from the drastic stereo panning inherent to headphones, then Redline Monitor is what you want (or any other simple crossfeed out there).

-If you want your headphones to actually sound like speakers placed in front of you, at a distance, inside a room, then Isone is what you want. BUT, you have to keep in mind that if your headphones became speakers placed in a room in front of you at a distance, then it will no longer sound exactly like how headphones sound when they are only centimeters away from your eardrums on either side of your head. To expect otherwise would be completely missing the whole point of using Isone. With Isone, your headphone is SUPPOSED to sound different--that's why you'd use Isone in the first place--to make them sound like speakers in a room, not headphones on your head. 

So if you don't know what your goals are or have incorrect expectations, you're going to dislike Isone, because you are not using it for the right reasons. If you don't like Isone, just use Redline Monitor or other simple crossfeeds. But don't continue to expect Isone to sound like headphones on your head. It is supposed to like speakers put at a distance in front of you, inside a room--which WILL change the frequency response of your headphone as the sound interaction with the complex math of HRTF, which takes into consideration how your head and ear shape/sizes alter the frequency response of sounds, as well as how the sound interacts with the acoustics of the virtual room. 

I'm not sure why that is so hard to understand. If you take a pair of speakers and put them right next to your ears, at the same distance as how close headphones are to your ears, it's going to sound different from when the speakers are placed at a distance in front of you, while the sound is shaped by the acoustics of the room. You wouldn't expect the speakers to sound exactly the same in the two different placements, would you? Then why would you expect your headphones to sound exactly the same when Isone puts it in a virtual room and placed at a distance in front of you? 

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #525 of 963
I think saying isone lowers the quality to like low quality youtube videos is over the top. When I first tried isone it gave me the wow factor and comparing it again later it still has the quality.

Anyway l've been trying other plugins and players and one I just come across that works with the plugins I like is qmp media player "Quintessential Media Player". I tried winamp but it was too buggy.. Two plugins worth trying out if you want to get spacious out of head experience is "Sheppi free spatial enhancer" I'm trying it with "headplug". The other worth checking out is Wavesurround with setting "stereo to headphones". Cool eq I'm using is "Electi-Q".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back