Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
Oct 28, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #436 of 963

Quote:
I had my share of EQing the LCD's but this is a whole new thing.
Have you even tried EZQ?

It would be interesting if you could send my the EQ setting file or show it here so I can compare even tho our systems and headphones doesen't need to be similar.
My aim have never been to get a perfectly straight curve though, but a more natural tone and more involving. Maybe we are talking the same thing I don't know.

I don't have to try it--I'm an audio professional and I can tell by just looking at the product description that it cannot be used to EQ for precision, as there are no parametric settings to address exact frequencies. EZQ is not a product meant for precision--it's meant for fast, simple, broad changes. If you are after a fast, no-fuss solution, you might as well get SonoReplicator instead, since it actually involves measuring your headphone and then generates a customized EQ curve for it:

http://www.sonoreplicator.com/mp3demo.htm

For audio professionals, accurate/neutral is the same thing as involving and natural. The only way for anything to sound involving and natural is if it's perfectly accurate and neutral. It's exactly like how the only way for a television screen to look natural is if all the colors, contrast, and brightness is set for maximum accuracy/neutrality. If you haven't seen the thread on "misconception of accurate/neutral," you might want to read it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/564465/misconception-of-neutral-accurate/150#post_7770815

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #437 of 963

Quote:
I don't have to try it--I'm an audio professional and I can tell by just looking at the product description that it cannot be used to EQ for precision, as there are no parametric settings to address exact frequencies. EZQ is not a product meant for precision--it's meant for fast, simple, broad changes. If you are after a fast, no-fuss solution, you might as well get SonoReplicator instead, since it actually involves measuring your headphone and then generates a customized EQ curve for it:

http://www.sonoreplicator.com/mp3demo.htm

For audio professionals, accurate/neutral is the same thing as involving and natural. The only way for anything to sound involving and natural is if it's perfectly accurate and neutral. It's exactly like how the only way for a television screen to look natural is if all the colors, contrast, and brightness is set for maximum accuracy/neutrality. If you haven't seen the thread on "misconception of accurate/neutral," you might want to read it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/564465/misconception-of-neutral-accurate/150#post_7770815

I was watching a critically acclaimed movie at a friends house who just had bought one of the best flat screens on the market he claimed.
The resolution and realism on the screen where just purely amazing. You can see it was life like.
Only then did I realize just how crappy and cheap the set design looked like.  A restaurant scene almost looked cartoonish with cardboard cut outs and it got to the point that the overall crappy ness of the set and small insignificant details was all that I could concentrate on. It ruined the entire movie for me. Couple of days later i watched the movie again, but this time on my old plasma. Guess what? This time I could enjoy the movie much more. I'm sure the realism, color tone, contrast etc where off, but something in the inaccuracy made me like to whole look of the movie much more. This I have found to be the case with most movies. You get fully emerged and involved with the story instead of being reminded of the ugly realism. I guess plasma gives the screen a more romantic shimmer.  The same is true whit the much of the music I listen to and the audio gear I like. If all the music I listened to where all perfectly produced and mastered, than perfect neutrality would perhaps be more attractive, but that form of music often times are what I consider "audiophile" music and  I can't stand "audiophile" music. Most of that stuff seems to be made to listen to your gear thru music and not the opposite way around.

There is a reason the SS Apex Butte show better stats the the all tube Pinnacle but at the same time aren't as enjoyable to listen to( I'm guessing for most people most of the time) Some coloration is what makes much music really shine for me and I'm sure thats true for many people.
It seems right that you as an "audio pro" need this in your line of work but I don't like the tone you carry holding yourself up as some superior power speaking for all people in the matter. "The only way for anything to sound involving and natural is if it's perfectly accurate and neutral" To me that just sound condescending even thou I hypothetically could agree with your preference.
Sure EZQ is a quick fix simple gadget, but that would make it even more appealing to most people. I've never claimed this would be the perfect tool, but the compatibility with the LCD's seems really good. How many is there who spend a year EQing a headphone? Not even on head-fi can that be common :)

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #438 of 963

Quote:
I was watching a critically acclaimed movie at a friends house who just had bought one of the best flat screens on the market he claimed.
The resolution and realism on the screen where just purely amazing. You can see it was life like.
Only then did I realize just how crappy and cheap the set design looked like.  A restaurant scene almost looked cartoonish with cardboard cut outs and it got to the point that the overall crappy ness of the set and small insignificant details was all that I could concentrate on. It ruined the entire movie for me. Couple of days later i watched the movie again, but this time on my old plasma. Guess what? This time I could enjoy the movie much more. I'm sure the realism, color tone, contrast etc where off, but something in the inaccuracy made me like to whole look of the movie much more. This I have found to be the case with most movies. You get fully emerged and involved with the story instead of being reminded of the ugly realism. I guess plasma gives the screen a more romantic shimmer.  The same is true whit the much of the music I listen to and the audio gear I like. If all the music I listened to where all perfectly produced and mastered, than perfect neutrality would perhaps be more attractive, but that form of music often times are what I consider "audiophile" music and  I can't stand "audiophile" music. Most of that stuff seems to be made to listen to your gear thru music and not the opposite way around.

There is a reason the SS Apex Butte show better stats the the all tube Pinnacle but at the same time aren't as enjoyable to listen to( I'm guessing for most people most of the time) Some coloration is what makes much music really shine for me and I'm sure thats true for many people.
It seems right that you as an "audio pro" need this in your line of work but I don't like the tone you carry holding yourself up as some superior power speaking for all people in the matter. "The only way for anything to sound involving and natural is if it's perfectly accurate and neutral" To me that just sound condescending even thou I hypothetically could agree with your preference.
Sure EZQ is a quick fix simple gadget, but that would make it even more appealing to most people. I've never claimed this would be the perfect tool, but the compatibility with the LCD's seems really good. How many is there who spend a year EQing a headphone? Not even on head-fi can that be common :)

By your logic, it's better for people to be near-sighted or in dimly lit places while dating, because then, we can't see the other person clearly, which would obscure all the things we would find unattractive if we had normal vision or in a well-lit place.

Well, it certainly works for romantically lit restaurants, or darkly-lit bars and pubs. But the morning after hooking up has certainly scared a lot of people.  :D

For myself personally, speaking only for myself, I prefer accurate and neutral, and let the only coloration be the one that the musical artist intended, not because my signal chain is subjectively colored. 

I apologize if you didn't like my tone. I guess audio professionals get used to being the ones that are "right" because we are the people who are setting all the audio standards, technologies, measuring, testing, production, and so on, and people pay audio professionals to make accurate decisions and rely on them to make those decisions. So in a way, you can say that the world has always counted on audio professional to make things sound "right" or "good"--from mastering engineers, mixers, recording engineers, speaker and headphone engineers/designers, DAC/ADC designers, sound card/audio interface designers...etc. 

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #439 of 963

Quote:
By your logic, it's better for people to be near-sighted or in dimly lit places while dating, because then, we can't see the other person clearly, which would obscure all the things we would find unattractive if we had normal vision or in a well-lit place.

Well, it certainly works for romantically lit restaurants, or darkly-lit bars and pubs. But the morning after hooking up has certainly scared a lot of people.  :D

For myself personally, speaking only for myself, I prefer accurate and neutral, and let the only coloration be the one that the musical artist intended, not because my signal chain is subjectively colored. 

I apologize if you didn't like my tone. I guess audio professionals get used to being the ones that are "right" because we are the people who are setting all the audio standards, technologies, measuring, testing, production, and so on, and people pay audio professionals to make accurate decisions and rely on them to make those decisions. So in a way, you can say that the world has always counted on audio professional to make things sound "right" or "good"--from mastering engineers, mixers, recording engineers, speaker and headphone engineers/designers, DAC/ADC designers, sound card/audio interface designers...etc. 

If you are in a place with 90% mediocre or ugly looking girls and 10% hard core bitches and this was the only option it probably would be great to be both nearsighted and a bit drunk yes. 

This is how the reality for me and most peoples music libraries look like. But then again it's really not fair comparing the look of women and the quality of recordings or general audio preferences. When it comes to audio that tube magic morning hangover anxiety never seem to happen for some reason.  

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #440 of 963
So I've got this setup and working nicely on my work PC such that any sound source I play is passed through Isone.  On some recordings I don't find a whole lot of advantage, but on many others, it's hard to listen without it now!  Unfortunately at home, my source is my iMac using primarily iTunes and Spotify.  Has anyone figured out how to chain the output on a Mac like I've been able to do on the PC?

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #441 of 963
For mac OSX I’ve been running DSP-Quattro with success,
But all I really need is a player like Fidelia, but I’ve had no luck, Fidelia cannot recognise or see the VST plugins on my mac.

I’d be interested to know if anyone is having any better luck.

The default setting of isone sounds promising, especially switching back to flat setting, it’s very addictive. So would you say isone pro resembles the realiser without the head panning ability?

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #442 of 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So would you say isone pro resembles the realiser without the head panning ability?

Not really.  The Realiser copies the room, the speakers, and your own personal HRTF while taking the frequency response of your headphones into account.  Its far more comprehensive than Isone which is fairly generic in comparison.  Then again the Realiser costs more than 100 times as much as Isone so its clear where the value lies.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #443 of 963

Quote:
Not really.  The Realiser copies the room, the speakers, and your own personal HRTF while taking the frequency response of your headphones into account.  Its far more comprehensive than Isone which is fairly generic in comparison.  Then again the Realiser costs more than 100 times as much as Isone so its clear where the value lies.

Thanks for clarifying maverickronin,

Whatever Isone Pro does, I know one thing, I’m completely blown away, I consider it one of the best upgrades I have ever made. I’ve got it running in Pure Music on my mac now!

Thanks to Lunatique and others who have contributed to this thread.

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #444 of 963
Big thanks to Jeroen for this tool as via this, as it lead me to a path in which I learnt a lot about psychoacoustics. :)

Anyway, yeah, you need to know a good deal about room acoustics in general to use Isone properly :)
Once configured properly, it's fantastic. Realistic as well e.g. if you dampen a room too much (too much diffusion), your room will sound 'dull' or 'dead' and much the same happens in Isone if you do that.
Early reflections are needed for positional cues and as such, if you kill the early reflections in Isone, positional cues suffers.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #445 of 963

Quote:
Big thanks to Jeroen for this tool as via this, as it lead me to a path in which I learnt a lot about psychoacoustics. :)

Anyway, yeah, you need to know a good deal about room acoustics in general to use Isone properly :)
Once configured properly, it's fantastic. Realistic as well e.g. if you dampen a room too much (too much diffusion), your room will sound 'dull' or 'dead' and much the same happens in Isone if you do that.
Early reflections are needed for positional cues and as such, if you kill the early reflections in Isone, positional cues suffers.

What settings and headphones are you using?

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #446 of 963
Just got the Isone Pro working on my Mac too, pretty amazing stuff!

Credits to johnwmclean!

And a big shout-out to everyone in this thread! :)

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #448 of 963
Ive been trying to use Isone with Fidelia and I couldent make the player find the plugin, even after using the "VSTAU Manager". In the end Ive got everything working with Audio Hijack Pro and I must say it sounds really great, I think my favorite preset is the natural crossfeed.

Well, my question is:

Can anyone tell me how to proceed to install the trail Isone plugin so Fidelia recognizes it?

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #449 of 963

Quote:
Ive been trying to use Isone with Fidelia and I couldent make the player find the plugin, even after using the "VSTAU Manager". In the end Ive got everything working with Audio Hijack Pro and I must say it sounds really great, I think my favorite preset is the natural crossfeed.

Well, my question is:

Can anyone tell me how to proceed to install the trail Isone plugin so Fidelia recognizes it?

What version of Fidelia are you using?  If you are using the latest beta, VSTs will not work period.  32 bit AUs won't work either.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #450 of 963
Im using the newest standard version, NOT beta. 

I have the .vst in library/audio/plugin.....       Ive noticed that sometimes when I start fidelia up a pop up comes up saying it cant validate the plugin ins or something. Ive tried reinstalling everything but wont work. I guess I have to settle with hijack audio for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back