Isolation, comfort, soundstage and warmth. Which to choose in my price-range? TF10? Westone 2? SE530? CK10? IE7?
May 14, 2010 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

morning

New Head-Fier
haha, sorry the title was cut-off. I am currently debating between similarly priced headphones on Amazon, namely: TF10, CK10, SE530, IE7, UM2, W2. I also debated the PFE112 and Klipsch Custom 3's. I listen to mostly rock music but sibilance and harsh highs really hurt my ears. My budget has increased to between 200-300 dollars. What do you guys think is the best bet? Going to be used on long airplane rides in a few weeks. I forgot "durability" in my title and that seems to be a question mark with the shure's, custom 3's and the tf10s...

May 14, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Klipsch Custom 3? If you can bear the terrible cables. Save some money on a discontinued product that's just as good as the Shures and probably better then the TF10s (overrated IMO, but then I'm not a fan of the recessed mids).

May 14, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 10
I had two pairs of Shure E2C's whose cables have resulted in exposed wiring over time. I think it must be the Canadian winter. Would you think that I could be lucky with the Custom 3's?

May 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 10
well TF10 isn't great for isolation, comfort and there are durability issues with them. The CK10 isn't exactly a warm phone and probably will be harsh to your ears but is well built and comfortable.

May 14, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 10
I have Westone 2s and they are really good for rock. I can honestly say that they meet all of your requirements; they are very durable, have good isolation, great comfort, a fairly large soundstage, and a slightly warm sound signature. I use a Sansa Fuze v2 with LAME V0 encoded MP3s, and I only get sibilance on older recordings such as Killer Queen by Queen. Also, I've yet to find any highs harsh, but YMMV.

May 21, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 10
Loving the Westone's but I do find the sound pretty muffled with the comply's. Am I doing it wrong? I roll up the foam and hold it a few seconds in my ear, is there a way to brighten them up a little (could it be that the size is too small?) or is that the case with all comply's?

May 21, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 10
Don't know if you still want the info. But I went with Um2s when I tried CK10, UM2, W2. Um2s have more bass and CK10 sounds cleaner with the W2 I think I had a bad fit and heard little to no bass at all. I tried them in this order CK10>W2>UM2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back