Isn't it illegal...?
Mar 28, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #76 of 113
And you do happen to live in the country that caused the death of Demonoid. The avatar might be childish humor, but there's a whole story about it, that you don't know about probably. You have a shadow of Stewie sporting an iPod, I could find that offensive because he represents someone who uses vulgar language, and a person who wants to see the demise of his mother. Your avatar could be considered just as offensive as mine, so I rest my case.

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #77 of 113
rolleyes.gif
I'm not saying your avatar is offensive to my eyes, but clearly you did try to make a point about abbreviated profanity.

Well hey, looks like your sig has transformed to something more pleasant.

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #78 of 113
I did it just for you
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #79 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you do happen to live in the country that caused the death of Demonoid. The avatar might be childish humor, but there's a whole story about it, that you don't know about probably. You have a shadow of Stewie sporting an iPod, I could find that offensive because he represents someone who uses vulgar language, and a person who wants to see the demise of his mother. Your avatar could be considered just as offensive as mine, so I rest my case.

Bingo! Most people that point fingers never stop to do so at themselves.

Mar 28, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #80 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other problem is that understating customs values screws with Insurance claims. Personally, I say mark it at full price and if you're feeling generous declare it a gift. A lot of countries tax those less if at all.

Over here we aren't taxed at all below a declaration of 500SGD, about 350USD
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #81 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's so cool when people bring up the fact that they contributed to the site. It's super impressive (at least to me).

Quote:

Haha, yes, almost like they think they're above everyone else...hmmm.

I agree it's stupid to bring it up just as a criticism of someone else, however, if it wasn't for the contributors and advertisers, this site wouldn't exists. You'd have to get your entertainment elsewhere.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #82 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just was an example!!
I do not agree with stealing music be it downloading off the Net or from a local store. It is not right. Calling it "free" is questionable whence obtained by file sharing, copying your friends' CD into your iTunes, or from Limewire..etc.
Just my thoughts.

We seem to differ on whether or not the end justifies the means. Music industry people say that downloading music is bad because it has resulted in a decline in music sales - essentially people in general are not buying what they listen to. I agree 100% with this, but if a person downloads music and this does not cause him/her to purchase less, the argument from the music industry does not apply. Many people (myself included) claim they purchase more music than they would in a world without file sharing, because they are able to expose themselves to more music that they like enough to buy. The end justifies the means. Yes, I have probably sinned and broken the law, but I have not hurt anybody, and that is good enough for me. What you seem to be saying is that the action of downloading music is more important than the result.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #83 of 113
I personally don't use slang/swear much online, because at 15 in a place like his i wanna seem older, so i try my best, most of the time, to type properly, not use slang, abbreviations (with the exception of the occasional "IIRC") etc.

I'm not gonna get into the downloading thing, although i did use Demonoid, and wish it was back, it was the best place to get "stuff".

Last of all, contributions, just beacuase you don't contribute, that doesn't make you a bad person, most of us here contribute by helping others, although some people only ever ask for help. At 15 i find the contributions too high, and would rather save money to get my rig complete (eg. Portable amp, and home headphones) and am willing to contribute small ammounts, until i have my rig complete, then i will contribute.

I feel i contribute enough personally, and i am not ashamed that i don't contribute money.

Now, lets get back on topic, and stop arguing and slamming eachother for whatever the opposition last wrote.

Regards,

Matt (15, only just!)

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #84 of 113
Quote:

From the sound of the various posts, I'm assuming it's "OK" to actually "break the law" if it's justified...

Damn, reminds me of those damn freedom fighters in Europe during WWII. Who in their right mind would question authorities?

Quote:

1. If you think the government is cheating/lying/blackmailing/deceiving you, or simply gone morally bankrupt, it is perfectly justified to set your standards to the same level as theirs, and do unto them what they have done unto you.

The government might be an image of it population?

Quote:

2. If it is extremely inconvenient, there is always the "downloading alternative", illegal or not, since it is perfectly justified for you to enjoy the same privileges other people have.

This is the way economics work. Are you aware of Schumpeter? What has happened is that there was an radical innovation -- the Internet. This will naturally lead to creative destruction; Old ways of doing things will be replaced with new ways of doing things. The `weak' business models will simply go out of business.

Another way to look at it is through supply-demand. The fact is you can get all the music you want for nearly nothing. The only thing you pay is a slight chance of getting caught by RIAA/IFPI/whatever. It is not looked down upon from ordinary citizens.
I would draw the supply-demand curve for you, but I am not sure how it would be drawn in this situation.

The thing is, file sharing has been a reality since '99 when Napster was around. The Internet is a reality and it is a huge success! However, the record labels have not followed the innovations. They have failed to do anything to revive themselves, even though they got the warning in '99.

I am not saying pirating is a good thing. It certainly could be if the copyright holders would join the new millennium. I do not download music myself, I am just trying to explain why people do it.

Quote:

Thanks everybody, sure is a very different culture from what our schools have us believe. Laws are bendable and subtle, everything has an implied meaning and are not meant to be taken literally.

You are absolutely clueless, are you not? Watch the film Copy Left, Copy Right. It is released under Creative Commons so the worse thing that could happen would be for you to get an another perspective.

On the contributing thing: Do you know why anybody want pay for ads on this site? Because of the users. Why do the users come here? Because of the content. The content is provided by the users. Thus, every user helps to make a bit of earning to this site. That said, I do not hope Jude has to put his spare cash into this anymore.
The same argument hold for YouTube or Facebook. It is the content that holds a value.

-Rasmus

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #85 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree it's stupid to bring it up just as a criticism of someone else, however, if it wasn't for the contributors and advertisers, this site wouldn't exists. You'd have to get your entertainment elsewhere.
biggrin.gif

I totally agree and respect the contributors, but if someone acts self-centered like so, than that could give a potential feeling to others that all contributors could be like this, but I know for a fact they aren't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not gonna get into the downloading thing, although i did use Demonoid, and wish it was back, it was the best place to get "stuff".

It truly was, they actually cared a lot about the quality of the "stuff" too.

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #86 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif
I'm not saying your avatar is offensive to my eyes, but clearly you did try to make a point about abbreviated profanity.

Get on the internet more. It's a fairly famous "term". He's not trying to do anything offensive.

Also, too many people seem to think that those terms have one specific meaning. For example, downloading music for free is perfectly ethical.

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #87 of 113
Quote:

I did it just for you
wink.gif

i find your avatar quite funny, but then nothing offends me really,

i dont really know why swear words are so offensive? the whole concept is odd to me, probably why i dont swear that much because they dont mean much.

i tend to laugh at what most people wouldnt, but then i have a very open mind about alot of things

i really dont like conservative 'this is right and this is wrong' kind of people, its very closed minded,

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #88 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tend to laugh at what most people wouldnt, but then i have a very open mind about alot of things

You British tend to do that
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #89 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find your avatar quite funny, but then nothing offends me really,

i dont really know why swear words are so offensive? the whole concept is odd to me, probably why i dont swear that much because they dont mean much.

i really dont like conservative 'this is right and this is wrong' kind of people, its very closed minded,

The odd thing is, I had randomly said this once, not have even seen it anywhere else before, I was just kind of like "OMG...What?" and then I screamed "barbeque!". Never knew about it before then, and then I saw this pic and though, "OMG, BBQ"
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You British tend to do that
biggrin.gif

LMAO

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #90 of 113
Quote:

lm[size=small]f[/size]ao

Hey!! I know what that "F" stands for, and as a Brit, I am highly offended by the way you are representing us
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back