Isn't it illegal...?
Mar 31, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #106 of 113
One time the seller declared a higher value than what I paid for it. I guess he put the retail price on it and I had to pay extra customs fees. After that I ask the sellers to put a lower value. It is only cheating if you get caught.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #107 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On what basis do you make this statement? Studies and research, or subjective (and thus potentially flawed) observation?

I don't have to have a basis to state my opinion, the phrase I mentioned is more true than not in my life observations. Swearing can turn off ones attention to a given matter and instead feel uncomfortable to a message or individual, especially if having young children present, just my thoughts. If I was into using the popular laughing out loud acronym, I would have replied to your statement with just that.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is only cheating if you get caught.

Only in Eucre..
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #108 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have to have a basis to state my opinion, the phrase I mentioned is more true than not in my life observations. Swearing can turn off ones attention to a given matter and instead feel uncomfortable to a message or individual, especially if having young children present, just my thoughts. If I was into using the popular laughing out loud acronym, I would have replied to your statement with just that.
wink.gif

You do need a basis when you state your opinion as if it's fact.

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #109 of 113
Quote:

You do need a basis when you state your opinion as if it's fact.

I never stated as if for fact nor was my intent to come across as such. No worries!
Regadless to whether swearing is ones liberating or intelligent means to communicate as intended, it is against the rules here end of story. Swearing on this forum shows disrespect and lack of couth and/or understanding of the rules set forth, or that the person does not care.

For a good read on the topic OUTSIDE of the HeadFi community..check the below out.
Geoffrey Hughes, Swearing: A Social History of Foul Language, Oaths, and Profanity in English

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #110 of 113
Quote:

Have you read 1984? The current generation reminds me of the 'Quacking' from 1984 quite a bit.

Yes I have
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #111 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless to whether swearing is ones liberating or intelligent means to communicate as intended, it is against the rules here end of story. Swearing on this forum shows disrespect and lack of couth and/or understanding of the rules set forth, or that the person does not care.

See, now that is a great response and a reasonable one at that
smily_headphones1.gif
I think for me I mostly just forget about the HeadFi rules re: swearing, it's not a concious lack of respect or anything. I'll be more careful though, now that you've reminded me of said rules. Thanks for the 'heads up'

Quote:

For a good read on the topic OUTSIDE of the HeadFi community..check the below out.
Geoffrey Hughes, Swearing: A Social History of Foul Language, Oaths, and Profanity in English

Thank you, I will.

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #112 of 113
Yes, its illegal, but to be honest, I don't care. I ask every seller from outside of Canada to mark down their package as a gift. What should be illegal is the amount of fees, levies, duties and taxes you are expected to pay when receiving a package, after the brutal cost of shipping. I will continue to do this, and have absolutely no problem doing so. In fact it makes me feel good. Once I had to pay $40 to have a pair of $160 IEM's shipped to me, then I had to pay over $60 in duty, border tax and whatever else. Never again. I'm glad I am depriving them of my money. I wouldn't even miss the money, I just refuse to give it to them when they are trying to screw me out of that much money. I'm sure some of you will say, "If you are unwilling to pay the cost, then don't buy the product." My answer to that is, "No thanks, I'll take the illegal shipping method instead. Tee hee."

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #113 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's so cool when people bring up the fact that they contributed to the site. It's super impressive (at least to me).

lol yeah that was pretty sad. Props to contributors and all, I intend to be one in the very near future, but that was a pretty lame thing to throw in someones face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back