Isn't it illegal...?
Mar 28, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #62 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, the whole new wave of acronyms online or in texting which are commonly denoting profanity (as seen in your avatar - i.e. "What") seems to be more the norm nowadays. I also don't care too much for "nu-skool" spellings of words like probably ("prolly") either, so I may as well throw that in there too. I find these acronyms and short-hand spellings as somewhat offensive myself in a way, and see them too as a continued "dumbing" down of the communication process.

I couldn't agree more. I'm with you 100%.

Quote:

I see you are a non-contributor and that you have a quote in your sig which contains profanity? Nice.

I'm not so sure I would consider that word profanity. By definition it certainly isn't, and when used in the manner he has I personally don't take offense to it; however, I respect your decision to do so. If it were really were though, then why didn't the filter here catch it?

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #63 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't agree more. I'm with you 100%.

I'm not so sure I would consider that word profanity. By definition it certainly isn't, and when used in the manner he has I personally don't take offense to it; however, I respect your decision to do so. If it were really were though, then why didn't the filter here catch it?

You will rarely find a post where I use profanity. I've put in a "d**n" or two, but not in an offending way, and not towards any member, ever. I put it in my sig. because I thought it was funny, and how ironically true it is. I don't plan to remove that from my sig. or to change my avatar, unless a mod suggests I do so. I try to be nice on this forum, I like to help people and give advice, but I never knew I had bargained for a lecture from the e-police. WTH?
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #64 of 113
Quote:

I see you are a non-contributor and that you have a quote in your sig which contains profanity? Nice.

I think it's so cool when people bring up the fact that they contributed to the site. It's super impressive (at least to me).

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #65 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's so cool when people bring up the fact that they contributed to the site. It's super impressive (at least to me).

Haha, yes, almost like they think they're above everyone else...hmmm.

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #68 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhaedrusX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll stop lying to the government when the government stops lying to me.

I'm not going to say this statement excuses marking items as Gift, lowering stated value, etc.

However, your comment itself is fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #69 of 113
Quote:

I find these acronyms and short-hand spellings as somewhat offensive myself in a way, and see them too as a continued "dumbing" down of the communication process.

Have you read 1984? The current generation reminds me of the 'Quacking' from 1984 quite a bit. Eventually, everyone will be idiots and we will spill untruth and idiocy from our mouths and call it genius.

Ah, the glory of the human race eh
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #70 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the sound of the various posts, I'm assuming it's "OK" to actually "break the law" if it's justified... for convenience/economic sake. Not everything is black and white.

Lesson learned?

1. If you think the government is cheating/lying/blackmailing/deceiving you, or simply gone morally bankrupt, it is perfectly justified to set your standards to the same level as theirs, and do unto them what they have done unto you.

2. If it is extremely inconvenient, there is always the "downloading alternative", illegal or not, since it is perfectly justified for you to enjoy the same privileges other people have.

3. Doing community service, volunteer work, and visiting the elder home to play cards makes up for all of the petty internet crime you do.

4. The music industry is enticing you to illegally download by providing flawed delivery methods, so all the more reason to do so. By illegally downloading content, you are starting a new generation of paperless information -- think of the environmental benefits!

Thanks everybody, sure is a very different culture from what our schools have us believe. Laws are bendable and subtle, everything has an implied meaning and are not meant to be taken literally.

I have two words for you: CHILL OUT.

You have person morals, ethics, and integrity. That's fantastic! Many people these days have none of the aforementioned. However, forcing judgment or disgust upon someone for their beliefs, and/or lack of (what you perceive to be) morals, ethics, and/or integrity is not cool to say the least. Live an let live. You may think illegal downloads are evil. I say the REAL evil is out there and it's got quite a different face -- rapists, murderers, mass apathy, arrogance, power, etc.

I appreciate your point(s) but I do find them a bit misguided.

Best regards,
-Sdu/DK

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #71 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you read 1984? The current generation reminds me of the 'Quacking' from 1984 quite a bit. Eventually, everyone will be idiots and we will spill untruth and idiocy from our mouths and call it genius.

Ah, the glory of the human race eh
wink.gif

Ironically, I've read this book, and I put it at the top of my list of the books I've read. I really could care less what people think about the phrase "What", if it was that offensive, I would have already changed it, I can understand "b****" though.

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #72 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it would hurt to ask you kindly to remove those, slightly dergradatory words like "What" or "bitch". It makes yourself look real immature, and it isn't necessary.

This is a typical logical fallacy.

A) Person A is immature and/or unintelligent
B) Person A swears freely
C) Therefore, swearing smacks of immaturity and/or low intelligence.

That MAY be true in some situations, but can hardly be said to be a universal truth. I know plenty of intelligent, witty, mature individuals that enjoy swearing, cursing, profanity and other pleasures of Language.

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #73 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ironically, I've read this book, and I put it at the top of my list of the books I've read. I really could care less what people think about the phrase "What", if it was that offensive, I would have already changed it, I can understand "b****" though.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to point that statement at you, just my frustration with the decline of our verbal proficiency as a people. I was speaking more in generalizations that at any individual(s) directly.

EDIT: I agree, see my post above about Swearing
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #74 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I wasn't trying to point that statement at you, just my frustration with the decline of our verbal proficiency as a people. I was speaking more in generalizations that at any individual(s) directly.

EDIT: I agree, see my post above about Swearing
biggrin.gif

Heh, I understand. I know I'm young, and shouldn't be using language like that at all, but I usually only let it out when I'm mad/angry. I do admit I'm immature and resort to do things immaturely, but I stick my guns. One thing I can't stand though is hypocrisy.

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #75 of 113
You don't have to be mature to be intelligent or witty. Nor do you have to be immature to swear. But if pez can take some of the verbal abuse, he should be able to control his What outbursts. I just find it unnecessary, and to remove his avatar with the childish What BBQ in good spirit shouldn't have been too offensive.

Sduibek, I see you making a lot of speculations; myself believing that illegal downloaders are evil, and I am forcing my disgust upon the lack of morality in some of these posts.

None of them are true at all: I was just exercising exaggerated rhetoric to counter some of these "excuses" which I personally find, petty. Some distinguished members have spoken about their stance on the declaration of value issue, and I do have some sympathy.

Afterall, this is my internet face, it would be hard to extract anything from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back