ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
Feb 26, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #4,936 of 5,125

Just finished evaluating the $39 ISN Neo1s - it's crazy what under $50 buys these days. You're invited to read the full review here. :smile:

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #4,937 of 5,125
If ISN could replace one of the DDs in the Neo 3 with a 10mm high-end driver and keep the mid-DD and planar driver, I think they would really have something special. The planar implementation is one of the best I've heard, especially combined with the smaller DD. The Neo 3 is such a great IEM but it's just missing a bit of impact and rumble. Superb imaging and layering with terrific clarity. The only thing missing is a bit more punch in the bass/sub-bass. I know it's like threading a needle with the tuning and bass impact, but it might be worth a shot to see if that low end DD could be increased a bit. Love the Neo 3 for all-around performance, though. It's a stone's throw away from a TOTL IEM with a slight bump in the bass and a better cable.
Just finishing up another listening session tonight and I feel EXACTLY the same way. Some tracks just sound incredible, while others seem like they're missing some substance in the low end. But in terms of clarity, balance, soundstage, tonality, and imaging, the Neo 3 is actually quite incredible. I won't even say "for the price". I added an EA Ares x Cadmus cable and I'm using a fairly decent desktop DAC and amp, but the Neo 3 can easily keep up from a technical performance standpoint. At times (very infrequently), with some extremely complicated Electronica tracks, I can detect some soundstage compression and a slight drop in imaging quality, but it's very minor and only noticeable if you really focus on specific details of well-known tracks.

I'm still just dumbfounded how ISN was able to design this gem and I'm even more dumbfounded as to how it hasn't "gone viral" in the IEM world. Even my EST50 has been collecting dust lately, as my time has been dedicated to the Neo 3. It's revealing, but well-rounded with quite frankly incredible imaging and still remains "fun" without the bass bloat or extreme treble focus that is typical of traditional "fun" tunings. A real outlier in my experience. I'm just shocked it hasn't gotten more attention.

Mar 1, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #4,940 of 5,125
I listen to my IEMs with my ears, not my eyes.

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #4,941 of 5,125
NEO 3
my take....................

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #4,943 of 5,125
Very good review, thanks! These sounds perfect for someone like me who hates thin mids and overly bright IEMs. Haven't gotten them yet, customs takes forever...
Quote Tom Petty: The waiting is the hardest part. :)
for the money you re paying bro its a total steal, trust me....,,,,

20240221_175430.jpg

anyone who digs and appreciates dark but completely natural tonality/timbre ain't gonna find something better than this one especially at this price tag............

Attachments

• 20240221_175732.jpg
    20240221_175732.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #4,944 of 5,125
I definitely don't get a "dark" sense from the Neo 3. They're extremely well balanced and actually could be considered "light" on the low end in many tracks. Of course, I'm not using the stock cable. Maybe someday I will try it....

BTW, I actually think the orange shells look gorgeous. Super clear and well-finished. I would love to see these become huge sellers for ISN and maybe have them release different color schemes. Transparent red and transparent green would be two colors in particular that would look amazing with the same finish quality.

As I said before, if they made a "Mark II" version with a 10mm DD for the low end, a better cable (maybe partner with EA?), and these alternate colors, I think it would be a huge winner.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #4,945 of 5,125
As I said before, if they made a "Mark II" version with a 10mm DD for the low end
Totally agree with you. I do miss the sub bass visceral rumble on some tracks.

Mar 3, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #4,946 of 5,125
just listened to Bowie's - Aladdin Sane on NEO 3s and been completely blown away buy their tremendous ability to make every single instrument there including Bowie's voice to sound so natural and authentic.....so original ...so analogue...very impressed i might include this one as a perfect example for this kind of reproduction in my small review on these monsters of natural sound.........

Mar 3, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #4,947 of 5,125
20240303_174903.jpg

20240303_175124.jpg

tracks like this kind of stuff....becomes an instant & heavenly bliss on NEO 3 ........
tracks full of reverb/echo/delay ,British psychedelia monsters Correlations are reproduced with such a grace on this
orange piece of jewelry.....
cause NEO 3 can easily recreate a gigantic wall of sound ambience resulting in such a vast headroom !!!!,is able to convince & seduce even the most distrustful listener out there.....just take a listen to this classical quitar chords ......the space and depth created there.......
speechless.... is the right word................

Correlations - Out of phase

Correlations - A Grand Place

a1943422237_10.jpg

Attachments

• 20240303_174805.jpg
    20240303_174805.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 3, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #4,948 of 5,125
Well, I really reaaally love the neo3. That was my foray into ISN iems and the warmer tunings and I don’t regret it!
There is one stain though: I’m missing the impact and rumble of the subbass, I come from the CCA Rhapsody which now sounds thin to me in the mids compared to the neo3 but definitely had more bite and thickness in the bass.
I tried to emulate the Xbass boost from ifi with my Qudelix and… jaw dropping! I barely lost any details (with the existing slight bleed into the mids being increased after eq, but nothing irritable on most genres of music) and even though it does change the overall balance it’s just crazy how much those 6mm can rumble and pack a serious punch while everything still sound very musical.

Here’s what I used for those who want to give a try (it’s 12dB and a little extreme feel free to adjust the shelves gain):

IMG_5564.jpeg

Awesome on: Elephant - Carol Duboc, Mountains - Hans Zimmer, Coalescence - Ihlo, Oh Lover - Royksopp

Good on: Plastic Love - Mariya Takeuchi, Elemental - Tears for fears, Sweat Leaf - Black Sabbath

Just Okay on: Discord Shores - Ola Englund, Ona - Plini

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #4,949 of 5,125
I got the Neo 3 today and first impression is very very good. Probably my new favourite set, replacing Fan 2. My latest purchases are Rhapsody, Fudu, Phoenixcall and MP145, but I think they will collect dust for a while. I've been trying to analyze the sound, but I keep getting lost in the music and forget the analyzing part, which is the best score an IEM can get IMHO.

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #4,950 of 5,125
HiBy R3 II + NEO 5 + cable ISN CS02. I never imagined how much I could enjoy great sound in something so ridiculously small and therefore portable. I have managed to listen to my music library without using EQ or anything added that could colorize. The balance achieved between treble, midrange and bass is impressive with this set. It is rare that I go over 40% volume. Brilliant...

More all this thanks to this great forum.
Quite a pleasure. 👍🏻

IMG_20240306_140220.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back