ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Sep 10, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #1,876 of 5,044
If you guys have a way to amplify the D02. give that a try. Will surprise just how capable the drivers are on the D02. It sounds like a different earphone from my IFI black label. Bigger stage, more dimensional, crystaline treble and extension. It sounds awesome.
I'm so glad that I snagged the D02's at the introductory price after reading your comments about it. From the first listen, its musicality blew me away, and as you point out, it scales well with good amplification. At the risk of getting a response which will lead me to spend more money, can you let me know how the D02 compares to the H40, and if the differences justify the difference in price?

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,877 of 5,044
I'm so glad that I snagged the D02's at the introductory price after reading your comments about it. From the first listen, its musicality blew me away, and as you point out, it scales well with good amplification. At the risk of getting a response which will lead me to spend more money, can you let me know how the D02 compares to the H40, and if the differences justify the difference in price?

I realize this might be a rabbit hole moment. Well if this cheaper one here tastes this good then well. This other one here.
H40 I gave a flat out 5 star rating for. The only 5 star rated earphone I reviewed all of last year. Will it be like the D02 level of bang for buck? You realize it has put ISN on the map? Is it good. You better beleive it is. People that mess around and get sub $200 hybrids. H40 imo is the bar setter at that price point. Wider deeper stage, even more musical than the D02. Punchier bass with greater extension. Warm smooth full bodied mids. BA imaging and clarity. I still don't own too many hybrids that can touch it at the price point.

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #1,878 of 5,044
Atm I'm searching for a good budget on the go solution, I thought I found it with IT00 but the more I listen to it the more I'm bothered by some of the flaws in build and tuning. Let me first say I was mostly influenced by @audio123 to get IT00, and I agree he was not wrong it's a fantastic set i don't regret getting them I was just unlucky because 2 things bother me now.
Firstly I find the overall tuning quite pleasant actually one of the best I ever tried but as I am treblehead I find IT00 treble recessed and missing few DB... Already I posted this in IT00 dedicated thread. What I did to solve this issue besides few mods (which did very little) I had to add few DB to make it sound the way I like, and that would be:
2k +2db
4k +3db
8k +3db
16k +2db
Rest of the spectrum I find very nice, mid bass is a bit elevated but I don't mind it.

And the second issue I have is they just won't stay in my ears securely. Seal is very flimsy and the sound drasticly changes when I'm adjuting them and with that horrendous driver flex its becoming pretty annoying. Granted I still have to do additional tip roll as I'm waiting for some tips to arrive. No luck with current tip collection. BTW this is the first iem I tested with this lousy fit, even the blon 03 with spacer and right cable fit me perfectly, great seal and everything.

So I'm asking anyone who has heard both IT00 and D02, is there a chance that I would like D02 treble. I just can't listen to stock IT00 anymore. But like I said EQd and with good seal they are fantastic.
Few people already reported no driver flex with D02 which is good, and I suppose they would fit me much better than IT00.

@tgx78 you also mentioned here post 2k elevation which had me worried for a second.
Even though I'm not very sentitive to treble that region 2-4k I find problematic shouty vocals and harsh guitars I just couldn't stand on bqeyz spring 1. Can you elaborate a bit more?
Thanks

You basically describe the same situation I am in. I was captivated by the character of the IT00 sound and was willing to forgive its minor flaws until I got the Fiio FH3. Once I heard the FH3, something seemed lacking in the IT00 treble. I don't know if it was treble extension, sparkle, clarity or what (I'm not analytical about sound), but the IT00 didn't have it. And wherever the IT00 had a little treble peak, it came off as slightly tinny. But the mids and vocals on the IT00, oh my, I was in love with that. The FH3 lacks that character, but is just so solid I made it my desk set.

So I'm moving on from the IT00 as my travel IEM set, but not sure where to jump?
ISN D02, Smabat NCO, Shozy Form 1.1, CCA CA16, Urbanfun YBF, or KZ ZAX? Which one has that fun IT00 sound with just a bit more treble clarity?
Maybe I just sit tight with the FH3 for now and hope that iBasso releases something in the future?

I like that the ISN D02 an Smabat NCO both have vented designs which might make for some airy warm mids?

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #1,881 of 5,044
You basically describe the same situation I am in. I was captivated by the character of the IT00 sound and was willing to forgive its minor flaws until I got the Fiio FH3. Once I heard the FH3, something seemed lacking in the IT00 treble. I don't know if it was treble extension, sparkle, clarity or what (I'm not analytical about sound), but the IT00 didn't have it. And wherever the IT00 had a little treble peak, it came off as slightly tinny. But the mids and vocals on the IT00, oh my, I was in love with that. The FH3 lacks that character, but is just so solid I made it my desk set.

So I'm moving on from the IT00 as my travel IEM set, but not sure where to jump?
ISN D02, Smabat NCO, Shozy Form 1.1, CCA CA16, Urbanfun YBF, or KZ ZAX? Which one has that fun IT00 sound with just a bit more treble clarity?
Maybe I just sit tight with the FH3 for now and hope that iBasso releases something in the future?

I like that the ISN D02 an Smabat NCO both have vented designs which might make for some airy warm mids?

D02 is a great sounding earphone. I seen a few folks that have the IT00 and actually prefer the D02. I know I am the only person that has reviewed the D02 but you will see more impressions about them the more you keep tabs on this thread. For the price point they are stellar and sound fantastic for all types of music. Very versatile musical sound. If you haven't read my description of them on my review you should. They scale amazingly well to amplification. Sounds great on everything actually but amping them brings them to a different earphone realm. Don't know about the other earphones your looking into but I bet these D02s will go toe to toe with anything in the price range and will beat out a lot of em if not most for sheer music enjoyment.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #1,882 of 5,044

FH3 technicalities with warmish mid of IT00? gotta try H40, big bold sound with large soundstage and more treble extension, fun, musical, grand and bold weighty. Remember to try the mod one to increase bass tightness and clarity and imaging

Sep 10, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #1,883 of 5,044
I realize this might be a rabbit hole moment. Well if this cheaper one here tastes this good then well. This other one here.
H40 I gave a flat out 5 star rating for. The only 5 star rated earphone I reviewed all of last year. Will it be like the D02 level of bang for buck? You realize it has put ISN on the map? Is it good. You better beleive it is. People that mess around and get sub $200 hybrids. H40 imo is the bar setter at that price point. Wider deeper stage, even more musical than the D02. Punchier bass with greater extension. Warm smooth full bodied mids. BA imaging and clarity. I still don't own too many hybrids that can touch it at the price point.
Can you provide a cmparison between the modded H40 and Orb; and Stock H40 and Orb?

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #1,884 of 5,044
Sorry my friend I have a stock H40. I like the tuning the way it is. I have other higher end earphones if I want to hear speedier bass and all the effects of the modded H40. I like to leave earphones alone for what they are and enjoy what the tuner had in mind. Plus I love how my cables affect the H40 tuning which will throw off the cable effects if I mod them so I like to keep it stock. Not to mention it is a great tester earphone for my cables.

H40 has a wider more grander stage vs the Orbs. Orb on the other hand has better more organic fuller bodied tone and imaging with a higher quality bass end. Both have excellent dimensional qualities to the sonics. H40 has better treble extension but the quality of the Orb treble is more natural and cleaner. Both are very musical tunings but do it in a different manner. The H40 has that stage element. Orbs have a spacious sound too but that organic tone and high quality bass separates the Orb from the H40. H40 is more mid bass oriented while the Orbs bass is more even keeled from mid to sub bass. Orbs definitely has the better extension and speed. Both are versatile tuned but due to the slight treble elevation on the H40 it is a bit better on some genres than others. I like rock and metal and pop a bit better on the H40. Bass genres, EDM, hiphop, jazz and vocals on the Orbs. I think both earphones are priced correct for what they throw out sonically. Both are excellent in their price ranges.

Sep 11, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #1,885 of 5,044
Sorry my friend I have a stock H40. I like the tuning the way it is. I have other higher end earphones if I want to hear speedier bass and all the effects of the modded H40. I like to leave earphones alone for what they are and enjoy what the tuner had in mind. Plus I love how my cables affect the H40 tuning which will throw off the cable effects if I mod them so I like to keep it stock. Not to mention it is a great tester earphone for my cables.

H40 has a wider more grander stage vs the Orbs. Orb on the other hand has better more organic fuller bodied tone and imaging with a higher quality bass end. Both have excellent dimensional qualities to the sonics. H40 has better treble extension but the quality of the Orb treble is more natural and cleaner. Both are very musical tunings but do it in a different manner. The H40 has that stage element. Orbs have a spacious sound too but that organic tone and high quality bass separates the Orb from the H40. H40 is more mid bass oriented while the Orbs bass is more even keeled from mid to sub bass. Orbs definitely has the better extension and speed. Both are versatile tuned but due to the slight treble elevation on the H40 it is a bit better on some genres than others. I like rock and metal and pop a bit better on the H40. Bass genres, EDM, hiphop, jazz and vocals on the Orbs. I think both earphones are priced correct for what they throw out sonically. Both are excellent in their price ranges.
Thank you, that helps a lot!

Sep 11, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #1,886 of 5,044
D02 is a great sounding earphone. I seen a few folks that have the IT00 and actually prefer the D02. I know I am the only person that has reviewed the D02 but you will see more impressions about them the more you keep tabs on this thread. For the price point they are stellar and sound fantastic for all types of music. Very versatile musical sound. If you haven't read my description of them on my review you should. They scale amazingly well to amplification. Sounds great on everything actually but amping them brings them to a different earphone realm. Don't know about the other earphones your looking into but I bet these D02s will go toe to toe with anything in the price range and will beat out a lot of em if not most for sheer music enjoyment.

My Fiio FH3 are my desk monitors and I pair them with a Fiio LC-BT2 bluetooth neckband which I find fantastic.

The ISN D02 would be my 2nd travel set used with a Fiio uBTR clipped to my shirt with a short cable - don't think the uBTR is going to bring out any massive amp gains, but who knows :) ?

Sep 11, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #1,887 of 5,044
FH3 technicalities with warmish mid of IT00? gotta try H40, big bold sound with large soundstage and more treble extension, fun, musical, grand and bold weighty. Remember to try the mod one to increase bass tightness and clarity and imaging

Oh man, up the scale I go :)
I'd be hesitant to drop ~$200 to audition new headphones that I can't return easily on Amazon or something. I suppose what is more likely is I get the D02s, fall in love, and then someday in the future get the H40, fall in love again, and then sell my FH3.

And to think I got back into headphones just 2 months ago in a quest to find a good bluetooth adapter that could use the inline mic on my Xiaomi Mi Triple HD Pros for work calls (hint, all bluetooth adapters that claim to utilize a headphone's existing inline mic have horrible mic pickup quality). Instead of settling for some sort of Jabra headset, I found the LC-BT2 bluetooth neckband with a good built-in mic, and then tried pairing it with the Blon BL-03s, Etymotic ER2XR, Jade Audio EA1, iBasso IT00, and finally the Fiio FH3 and here I am on this thread 😂 ... when will it stop?

Sep 11, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #1,888 of 5,044
Oh man, up the scale I go :)
I'd be hesitant to drop ~$200 to audition new headphones that I can't return easily on Amazon or something. I suppose what is more likely is I get the D02s, fall in love, and then someday in the future get the H40, fall in love again, and then sell my FH3.

And to think I got back into headphones just 2 months ago in a quest to find a good bluetooth adapter that could use the inline mic on my Xiaomi Mi Triple HD Pros for work calls (hint, all bluetooth adapters that claim to utilize a headphone's existing inline mic have horrible mic pickup quality). Instead of settling for some sort of Jabra headset, I found the LC-BT2 bluetooth neckband with a good built-in mic, and then tried pairing it with the Blon BL-03s, Etymotic ER2XR, Jade Audio EA1, iBasso IT00, and finally the Fiio FH3 and here I am on this thread 😂 ... when will it stop?
It doesn't. I started with Fiio FH1...3 years back, I think. Next sidegrades were sennheiser momentum in ear and TFZ Tequila1. I had a rule that I must not go into higher budget category because I use iems with mic cable, and higher budget category iems will not sound good with mic cable, so the investment cannot be justified. Know where I went after that? Sony MH755 (not an upgrade, just mentioning), LZ A6 mini, Simgot EN700 Pro, 1custom Junior, TFZ Secret Garden 3, BGVP Artmagic VG4, Custom Art FIBAE 3... :beyersmile:...and now getting the D02, got a BGVP Artmagic DH3 that I will probably sell, and planning for ISN H40 or Penon Orb, and finally the Shozy Pola :ksc75smile::sweat_smile:

Sep 11, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #1,889 of 5,044
48F7AA4D-D56E-40B2-8D14-C7C032875F51.jpeg

Appreciate the pretty blue colored shells. They are so easy to find : )

Sep 11, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,890 of 5,044
48F7AA4D-D56E-40B2-8D14-C7C032875F51.jpeg

Appreciate the pretty blue colored shells. They are so easy to find : )
Which are those transparent shell ones? at the bottom right. Also, which hifiman is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back