ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jul 17, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,447 of 5,044
I just got the H40, and Penon Orb today.

For me H40 stock tips < Starfield with cheap foam tips < H40 with cheap foam tips < Penon Orb with stock tops (I dont dare put foams on these).

I was surprised to see that I liked my starfield almost as much as my H40. The starfield has a much fuller and rounded out sound that I like, but then I realized its cause I was comparing foam to stock tips. In a more apple to apple comparison it was still a hard choice but much more clear now which IEMs were better. H40 were way better controlled, more crisp, airy, and somehow less harsh. Better sound stage but not as fun sounding without a volume bump, but at the same time these are easier listening at higher volumes than the starfield.

Now the penon orb.. I didnt expect to really like them over the H40, or by much even if I did but they ended up blowing me away, theyre pretty much everything I've always wanted in an IEM. They're perfect for my taste.

All in all the H40 felt more like a direct upgrade to the blon bl-03 and the Penon Orb felt more like a direct upgrade to the starfield. If you couldnt tell, I like my starfield more than the bl03, but those of you that prefer the bl-03 will LOVE the H40 IMO.

Jul 17, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #1,448 of 5,044
I need help. Idk what I like more now. Listening to these more made me like them more- I started to like these a lot more as soon as I started using more volume. These aren't as enjoying compared to the other two on lower volumes but when they're turned up.. I'm going to end up keeping these and orb both at this rate.

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,449 of 5,044
I need help. Idk what I like more now. Listening to these more made me like them more- I started to like these a lot more as soon as I started using more volume. These aren't as enjoying compared to the other two on lower volumes but when they're turned up.. I'm going to end up keeping these and orb both at this rate.
Take your time listening to them, and enjoy them all!

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,450 of 5,044
I noticed your suffering and wanted to recommend spending one day with H40 and another day with ORB. Being overwhelmed by multiple earphones is no good for your ears and brain. It's definitely no good to me. It's not the end of the world, you have enough time. Or maybe it is but there's still enough time.

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #1,452 of 5,044
Both are excellent complementary IEMs. It is quite certain that you will keep both. :p

Jul 17, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #1,453 of 5,044
A couple hours later and Ive come to the same very obvious conclusion everyone else has. They're both good at different things. The orb sound a bit congested in comparison but much more natural and full sounding. The H40 sound a bit more metallic and hollowed out but there is a much larger soundstage, the sound is more crisp and airy too. I find the H40 shine in tracks where there's a lot going on because of its good seperation and soundstage, while the orb shine in more focused tracks with less going on because of how smooth and natural they sound.

I may keep both but I find myself liking the orb just slightly more. Only if there was an iem with the orb sound and the H40 soundstage and seperation.

Jul 17, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #1,454 of 5,044
A couple hours later and Ive come to the same very obvious conclusion everyone else has. They're both good at different things. The orb sound a bit congested in comparison but much more natural and full sounding. The H40 sound a bit more metallic and hollowed out but there is a much larger soundstage, the sound is more crisp and airy too. I find the H40 shine in tracks where there's a lot going on because of its good seperation and soundstage, while the orb shine in more focused tracks with less going on because of how smooth and natural they sound.

I may keep both but I find myself liking the orb just slightly more. Only if there was an iem with the orb sound and the H40 soundstage and seperation.
On this point "Only if there was an iem with the orb sound and the H40 soundstage and separation.", I think you are looking at around 1000 USD IEMs. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back