ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jul 7, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #1,411 of 5,044
Now that there are several members that have both the H40 and Orb, it really seems like this is the general consensus. For vocals, the Orb is unmatched in this price range, and has very well tuned sub bass as well, but for more impactful mid bass, for a more ”exciting“ tuning, and for more extended treble, the H40 is better. Is this pretty accurate? I guess that would justify owning both then.
You are spot-on. Ultimately, it depends on the music genres.

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,412 of 5,044
Now that there are several members that have both the H40 and Orb, it really seems like this is the general consensus. For vocals, the Orb is unmatched in this price range, and has very well tuned sub bass as well, but for more impactful mid bass, for a more ”exciting“ tuning, and for more extended treble, the H40 is better. Is this pretty accurate? I guess that would justify owning both then.

Nailed it!

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #1,413 of 5,044
Sure! Apart from build quality (once a week I need to reseat the MMCX connector in the left IEM as it becomes intermittent)

So, quick update on this, I am totally not convinced about the build quality at all! Yesterday the dynamic driver in my left IEM stopped working, it occasionally comes back to life if I tilt my head at an angle but then fails again. Potentially a loose connection, as cable swapping doesn't remedy the situation. Reached out to Penon for an RMA, not heard anything back yet but hopefully they can replace.

Anyone else had issues with build quality or a catastrophic failure like mine?

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #1,414 of 5,044
Anyone else had issues with build quality or a catastrophic failure like mine?
I have the same problem with my D10. Right mmcx connector works intermittently if I move. I contacted them and they told me to send back the earpieces to Hong Kong!. I don't know what I will do as shipping might be quite expensive and I don't think I should pay for it. But I won't be buying anything from China/Hong Kong north of 50 USD unless they have a serious after sales system.

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #1,415 of 5,044
I have the same problem with my D10.
Mine too but left side and they told me it is because of the cable. They said they sent the replacement cable but until now almost 2 months I have not received anything:sweat:
I told them I give up waiting for the replacement.
I have moved on with my LZ A6.

Jul 8, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #1,416 of 5,044
Mine too but left side and they told me it is because of the cable. They said they sent the replacement cable but until now almost 2 months I have not received anything:sweat:
I told them I give up waiting for the replacement.
I have moved on with my LZ A6.
I checked with 4 mmcx cables. It is definitely the mmcx socket. Also when I first got the H40 had a similar problem, after taking it in on and off a few times it seemed to mostly go away.

Definitely they have some serious QC problem seeing as many of us have had this.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #1,417 of 5,044
I have the same problem with my D10. Right mmcx connector works intermittently if I move. I contacted them and they told me to send back the earpieces to Hong Kong!. I don't know what I will do as shipping might be quite expensive and I don't think I should pay for it. But I won't be buying anything from China/Hong Kong north of 50 USD unless they have a serious after sales system.

I've had numerous pruchases from Penon already and twice I had problems with the units I received. They helped me return the items without any problems. If I remember correctly, they refunded to me the shipping cost of the returned items. Just send them an email or a message on Chi Kong Hui's Facebook account. You can also try contacting their rep on their AliExpress store.

Still, it will probably depend on the nature of your problem or issue with the product.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #1,418 of 5,044
I've also have had multiple purchases from Penon. All items including H40 arrived intact and without any defects. Some items were slow in getting to me due to understandable shipping delays. Hopefully, the shipping issues to the US are improved now. I've found their support to be responsive and dealings with them has been pleasant.

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #1,421 of 5,044
So, quick update on this, I am totally not convinced about the build quality at all! Yesterday the dynamic driver in my left IEM stopped working, it occasionally comes back to life if I tilt my head at an angle but then fails again. Potentially a loose connection, as cable swapping doesn't remedy the situation. Reached out to Penon for an RMA, not heard anything back yet but hopefully they can replace.Anyone else had issues with build quality or a catastrophic failure like mine?
Add me to the unfortunate club :sob:. My H40 right unit stopped working today, after only 4 months of light use. Tried several cables and sources and no luck. I am very sad as I really dig the H40 sound. Contacted Penon but I am not in a position to send back the unit to Penon from South America. One thing for sure, I will never buy from ISN again, unless ISN / Penon surprises me.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #1,422 of 5,044
Ahaha, I gave in and bought both. Nice guy, he let me go down to $335 and will include a 2.5mm cable for the ISN h40. Cost me literally almost all of what I had left of my last paycheck but no regrets!

Cmiiw, but i saw the other page that you were offered the old H40? Aka v1 H40 which have half transparent shell? Be careful they are sounded differently than v2 H40

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #1,423 of 5,044
Add me to the unfortunate club :sob:. My H40 right unit stopped working today, after only 4 months of light use. Tried several cables and sources and no luck. I am very sad as I really dig the H40 sound. Contacted Penon but I am not in a position to send back the unit to Penon from South America. One thing for sure, I will never buy from ISN again, unless ISN / Penon surprises me.

You have to send it back and they'll send you a new one. Penon is pretty good with customer service. Get an RMA and return the IEM.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #1,424 of 5,044
Better to have both. Haha! I would like to get the H40 too since I've already tried it before. It will go well with my Orb. On your case though, let's hope you get the updated version of H40 instead of the first one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back