ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jul 2, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #1,381 of 5,044
I see the Ikko OH10 selling for around $110-$160 on the used market pretty often so before I pull the trigger, anyone have any thoughts on the OH10 vs the H40? At this point Im about to say screw it and spend extra to order the Penon Orb so I don't have to worry about what's better lmao.

I'd say get both the ISN H40 and the Penon Orb, and

a) If you like the Penon Orb, selling the used H40 wouldn't be too much loss
b) If you like the H40, sell the Penon Orb, I'm sure since it's getting more popular it won't be hard to sell locally cause people won't want to wait

Either way your loss should be minimal

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #1,382 of 5,044
I'd say get both the ISN H40 and the Penon Orb, and

a) If you like the Penon Orb, selling the used H40 wouldn't be too much loss
b) If you like the H40, sell the Penon Orb, I'm sure since it's getting more popular it won't be hard to sell locally cause people won't want to wait

Either way your loss should be minimal

More of a me issue but I'm very lazy about selling stuff lmao. I have so many mechanical keyboard things, old phones, old iems, my LG hi-fi plus dac, etc sitting around that I should have sold by now but have been too lazy to do- I'm afraid if I do that I'll just forget to sell them out of laziness.

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #1,383 of 5,044
I see the Ikko OH10 selling for around $110-$160 on the used market pretty often so before I pull the trigger, anyone have any thoughts on the OH10 vs the H40? At this point Im about to say screw it and spend extra to order the Penon Orb so I don't have to worry about what's better lmao.
Oh10 is V shaped and has less soundstage, punchy and fun. Isn H40 has more soundstage and is smoother, ideal for longer sessions. I got both, they're quite different.

Jul 3, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #1,384 of 5,044
My impressions after 2 weeks with h40 is the following: out-of-the-box very punchy, hard slamming, a lot of bass quantity, but not controlled and bloating the mids.
After 130-150 h of using the bass is very good and controlled, mids are natural, soundstage opened up, treble is smooth and non fatiguing, all good things... But if I don't raise the volume a little more then my comfort leasening, I don't feel the fun, sparkle that I know that some of my songs in the playlist have... Anyway, for the money, the H40 is wonderful, and it is a keeper. 😉

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,385 of 5,044
My impressions after 2 weeks with h40 is the following: out-of-the-box very punchy, hard slamming, a lot of bass quantity, but not controlled and bloating the mids.
After 130-150 h of using the bass is very good and controlled, mids are natural, soundstage opened up, treble is smooth and non fatiguing, all good things... But if I don't raise the volume a little more then my comfort leasening, I don't feel the fun, sparkle that I know that some of my songs in the playlist have... Anyway, for the money, the H40 is wonderful, and it is a keeper. 😉
Yea the general consensus now is that both the H40 & Orb are keepers and they complement each other well.

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #1,389 of 5,044
I like to stream Tidal in UAPP on DX220 with Amp8EX. I think it's the default ISN SPC 4.4 mm cable when ordered from Penon. I use the included large silicon tip with the green stem.
Yea same as you. I have been using H40 with the green stem tips and 4.4mm balanced out of either DX220 + AMP8EX or DX220 Max.

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #1,390 of 5,044
H40 is the most magical iem I've ever heard.

Edit: I'll probably get pushback on this since I also own Solaris OG & 2020, Andromeda, SE846, and other stupidly expensive offerings. Maybe it's a phase I'm going through. LOL

I was also impressed when I heard the Solaris OG. Well, that's just expected in that kind of price range. But it's different when I heard the H40. You're getting a lot of value for how it performs vs it's price. I got to get my hands on one again even if I already have the Orb.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #1,391 of 5,044
Orb is a continuation of the sound signature on the H40. There are enough differences between them to both be unique but goes on that full dynamic rangy full bodied sound signature. There has been a few guys from this thread that has bought the Orb already I am looking forward to see what they all think.

Just because there is a new kid on the block don't mean the H40 is all of a sudden obsolete. In fact there are some aspects of the H40 that I prefer over the Orbs but no denying both of these represent the type of listen that let you enjoy your music and isnt that why we are in the hobby.?

I have grown tired of earphones that try too much to be something they arent. Just got a new cheapo just to see how well a 6BA + 1dynamic hybrid can sound from a different house. Called the TRN VX.

Lets just say the Orb with one BA and dynamic shames that earphone. In fact I have not heard a worse IEM from the past 10 years. You know what your getting in the H40 and the Orb. Some of these IEMs that are sold on the market have no identity. No real soul to the sonics. Absolutely zero musicality.

Both the H40 and Orbs might not be technical juggernauts but at least your not gonna wince when you hear the treble. Lol.

I got my Orb in yesterday. Did a 5 hr burn-in and started listening.

Honestly, I wasn't wowed as I expected.
I do agree with them being easier to listen to if you're treble sensitive in any way but that's about it.

I personally love the bass on the H40 more and treble extension. mids go to the Orb but the H40 isn't slouching either.
The stage and instrument separation on the H40 is superior

When listening to Hi-Res 24Bit/192kHz albums like The Eagles "Hotel California", Lionel Richie "Can't Slow Me Down" and other DSD material.
The H40 gives a much better sense of space (stage) and the air around instruments etc.

Well mastered DSD's sound like you're in the same room with the artist and band on the H40.
Since our hobby is all about enjoying the music.H40 does it for me.

All the orb did for me was make me appreciate the H40 more.

Thanks, Penon for the fast shipping but mine will be going back. Shipping was fast enough to the USA as always.7 days.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,392 of 5,044
I got my Orb in yesterday. Did a 5 hr burn-in and started listening.

Honestly, I wasn't wowed as I expected.
I do agree with them being easier to listen to if you're treble sensitive in any way but that's about it.

I personally love the bass on the H40 more and treble extension. mids go to the Orb but the H40 isn't slouching either.
The stage and instrument separation on the H40 is superior

When listening to Hi-Res 24Bit/192kHz albums like The Eagles "Hotel California", Lionel Richie "Can't Slow Me Down" and other DSD material.
The H40 gives a much better sense of space (stage) and the air around instruments etc.

Well mastered DSD's sound like you're in the same room with the artist and band on the H40.
Since our hobby is all about enjoying the music.H40 does it for me.

All the orb did for me was make me appreciate the H40 more.

Thanks, Penon for the fast shipping but mine will be going back. Shipping was fast enough to the USA as always.7 days.

May I ask if you don't mind testing both for me:

Which has more sibilance, Orb or H40?
And which resolve hi hats & ride cymbals better in Sultans of Swing?

I'm trying to find a step up from the KXXS, have you tried those before?

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #1,393 of 5,044

And which resolve hi hats & ride cymbals better in Sultans of Swing?

I have all 3. I have loved the KXXS a lot, but I'll say both Orb and H40 are clearly superior. I personally agree the H40 comes out on top.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #1,394 of 5,044
I have all 3. I have loved the KXXS a lot, but I'll say both Orb and H40 are clearly superior. I personally agree the H40 comes out on top.
Thanks for the insight! I tried both the starfield and the KXXS and while the starfield is very fatigue free, it is too recessed for me. I prefer the KXXS' clarity over the starfield, and the bass is less muddy too, but the KXXS is the limit for me in sibilance and 'sparkle'. Any more and it becomes fatiguing. Like the Tin P1 which has great vocals but was too fatiguing.

Which between the H40 and Orb more closely resembles the KXXS in terms of treble brightness? In terms of bass I don't mind similar strength or slight more. Anything more then I may risk it being too boosted over mids/vocals.

TIA!

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #1,395 of 5,044

And which resolve hi-hats & ride cymbals better in Sultans of Swing?

I had the kanas pro back in 2019 but sold them. Not sure if the KXXS has the same sound signature.
I wouldn't consider Orb or H40 sibilant IEMs.But H40 has a dedicated dual BA to treble.

Thus the H40 handles Hi-hats better.i hear all the instruments much better as well in Sultans Of Swing.
The Guitar riffs sound great especially at 4:58 towards the end of the song.
you hear the full Extention of the guitar strings

Hi-hats require some treble extension into the 10k 16K area which the H40 does well.

If the kanas pro sounds anything like the KXXS, the H40 will be a significant upgrade from the KXXS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back