ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Mar 13, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #767 of 5,044
Very interested in purchasing these ISN H40's, but I have one concern. How efficient are they? I'd like to use them with my Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, using the Samsung USB-C to 3.5mm adapter...so no amplification. Would they perform fine or do they really need an amp?

For the record I mostly listen to rock and I am coming from old Vsonic GR02's and wanted something new. Considering the following:

ISN H40
1more quad
ikko oh1
ikko oh10
CCA C10 & 12
Blon BL03

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #768 of 5,044
Very efficient. No amping needed. Not so sensitive to be hiss prone. You shouldnt have any issues playing it through any source but to be honest. The SQ from my phone vs my Fiio M15 is substantial. H40 scales to better sources/ tips/ cables.

It has substancial head room for expanded sonics with every little tweak you do with them.

Mar 13, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #769 of 5,044
H40 are pretty easy to drive, on par with most of my IEMs.

Mar 13, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #770 of 5,044
Very efficient. No amping needed. Not so sensitive to be hiss prone. You shouldnt have any issues playing it through any source but to be honest. The SQ from my phone vs my Fiio M15 is substantial. H40 scales to better sources/ tips/ cables.

It has substancial head room for expanded sonics with every little tweak you do with them.
Thanks for the feedback. I thought it came with good cables and tips, no? I guess I'll see what my impression of them is as they come stock and then go from there. Just purchased them from Penon Audio with the express shipping (no idea how much faster that makes it but figured it was worth the $10)
Now I am looking into which music service I will use. I used to use Tidal but cancelled it. Seeing what other options are out there. Now I am taking a train to work which is why I am looking into all this now.

Mar 13, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #771 of 5,044
Stock cable is excellent. It is way better than 95% of cables included with most in ears. But since I am a cable guy. I have been using much higher end cables on the H40 with some stunning results. I would get them. Burn them in a bit and just enjoy em.

Mar 13, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #772 of 5,044
Stock cable is excellent. It is way better than 95% of cables included with most in ears. But since I am a cable guy. I have been using much higher end cables on the H40 with some stunning results. I would get them. Burn them in a bit and just enjoy em.

I hear you, man. Any recommendations on break-in procedure?

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #773 of 5,044
Music is good just let it play. At moderate levels this is important so you don't damage your earphones. High volumes can do that. Colored noise works but again at moderate volumes. If you have some drum n bass that is what I use but you can just let music play through the H40 and leave it playing for several days and nights. Should be good after.

True story. I have only destroyed one earphone with burn in but I think it was more due to the shoddy BAs they were using my old LZ A5. One of the BAs that did treble burned out during burn in. I read several people having a similar issue with them so I might have gotten a bad earphone. But otherwise. Good old Drum n bass. Does the trick every time.

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #775 of 5,044
Very interested in purchasing these ISN H40's, but I have one concern. How efficient are they? I'd like to use them with my Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, using the Samsung USB-C to 3.5mm adapter...so no amplification. Would they perform fine or do they really need an amp?

For the record I mostly listen to rock and I am coming from old Vsonic GR02's and wanted something new. Considering the following:

ISN H40
1more quad
ikko oh1
ikko oh10
CCA C10 & 12
Blon BL03

If you have budget for H40, they will be a step or two from your other list definitely. the 1 more quad, OH1, C10, C12, BL03 are nothing compared to H40, they are definitely on different league. While OH10 is quite good, but @cn11 prefer H40 more than his beloved OH10. I only heard OH1 before, not the OH10 so i cant talk much about them.

the H40 are easy to drive, but like @Dsnuts said, if you have better source, they can scale better. I can hear differences between my LG v40 and my ibasso DX160 although they are already very good on my V40 alone. I have note 8 too and can drive H40 without any problem.

they will be great for rock too, its a great all around set in my opinion.

About burn in, different people believes different method, and some are believer and some are non believer in burn in. For me myself, aside from BA sets, i always burn my IEMs, becuase nothing to lose and I heard improvement over burn in (i always listen iem OOTB to test, and put them on burn in device until they reach 100 hours+ and listen sessions after it.) you can get one more app on android for easy burn in method, the app set auto burn in with auto volume, auto pause to let your IEM rest and auto continue. a hassle free experience so far, if you have spare android phone, just use it to burn in.

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #776 of 5,044
Yeah, H40 still makes me sit back and listen to the music in amazement each time I use it. Definitely my top daily use IEM currently. I think it'll take something major for me to prefer to it. Although I have also been highly enjoying using the Blon BL-03 wirelessly with the Foxtex TM2. I like that combination during the work day.

Mar 14, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #778 of 5,044
Is this nuts ..... I go out of my way NOT to listen to it all the time, but rather rotate my head time -- so as to make sure I don't ever lose the magic.
The H40 might be the lowest priced IEM I own but I try to listen to it as much as I can because it’s a great IEM.

Mar 15, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #780 of 5,044
So, I received the Kinboofi 8 core 2.5 balanced cable. Compared it with the S8 cable 3.5 unbalanced using my Fiio BTR5. Wow, what a huge step in SQ.
Considering the eartips, the Azla SednaEarfit Light are probably one of the best you can use with the ISN H40. The second best being the JVC Spiral Dots.
As many users already mentioned, the H40 escalates very well when you improve the cable, audio source and eartips. (My audio source is Tidal Masters).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back