ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Mar 5, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #722 of 5,044
Agreed the NF Audio NA1 is an excellent IEM. Love the NA2 as well but this is a case of a signature preference more than anything. NA1 being more analytical/reference type tuning vs the full bodied musical tuning on the H40.

I can make an argument these two actually compliment each other when it comes to sonic signatures as they couldn't possibly more different from each other. Some folks like noodles some like steak. For me I like some steak with a side of noodles. It is all about taste.

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #723 of 5,044
Agreed the NF Audio NA1 is an excellent IEM. Love the NA2 as well but this is a case of a signature preference more than anything. NA1 being more analytical/reference type tuning vs the full bodied musical tuning on the H40.

Full bodied, musical, driving but not overpowering bass, a sense of air, sound stage with separation is what I'm after. But it must catch some details here and there. I think when you're trying to catch a lot of details it ceases to be music and becomes more of a critical thinking data retrieval expedition. To me music should do one of two things for you.
One is open a door of emotion that makes you want to move. The other is relax, kick back, close your eyes and say, "Wow, just listen to that".

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #725 of 5,044
What happened here. H40 thread losing steam. Saw the CU4 cable on Penon. Looks nice...
1583622448389.png

Would seem to be more about detail and resolution and delicacy based on the description. Might be the one to push the H40's technical ability. Not that many would be buying a $149 cable for a $195 earphone. Though probably best to buy the better cable instead of several lesser cables that will end up costing you as much or more. Buy it to have the better one for down the road perhaps going on a future better earphone. Still interesting what it would do for the H40.

ISN is indeed a bit more interesting and a bit different. Maybe even better than other Chi-Fi brands. At least they owned up to the first H40 shortcomings and gave them away which is better than some others. No quality issues it seems either. Not sure I have heard of any build issue for ISN cables or the H40 so that is good as well. With the different voicing of their cable products and the finished H40 sounding as it does makes it seem like they care about signature and the listening experience more than other brands. 3 armatures plus a dynamic was mostly bright and detail pushing for a top end perhaps straddling the line of sibilance and having another v-shaped tuning.

So, then the D10 does seem something interesting to look forward to. The thought process makes you think good thing. They will not have another H40 V1 and 2 out of 3 disappoint. Doubtful. Should be a safe bet to be a good one. If $175 then only $20 off the H40 and newer so 3 less driver and not much cheaper so the only big draw would have to be the SQ. Might think they will come with a higher model cable since they don't spend on 6 armatures anymore some of the cost will be for a good cable. A better cable is a good selling point just like it used to be with the IT01 but this should be an even better cable. Hopefully there are a few colors this time and a more attractive housing. Something a bit less understated than the H40 plain black. Think being the single driver they will probably go more into the aesthetics this time. I vote for the easy to ID blue for left/red for right color scheme. :)

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #726 of 5,044
If $175 then only $20 off the H40 and newer so 3 less driver and not much cheaper so the only big draw would have to be the SQ. Might think they will come with a higher model cable since they don't spend on 6 armatures anymore some of the cost will be for a good cable. A better cable is a good selling point just like it used to be with the IT01 but this should be an even better cable.
To me 100% a valid point.
Hopefully there are a few colors this time and a more attractive housing. Think being the single driver they will probably go more into the aesthetics this time. I vote for the easy to ID blue for left/red for right color scheme. :)
What do clowns and IEM's have in common...

Mar 7, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #727 of 5,044
To me 100% a valid point.

What do clowns and IEM's have in common...
1583625555449.png
1583625589705.png

Rainbows!

Or perhaps you mean they may both use brightness, color, or other tricks to grab your attention?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #728 of 5,044
DSC07000.JPG So what does a $500 version of the H40 sound like? Well H40+ Penon Leo Plus cable. What looks like your garden variety silver type cable is in fact much more. Reason why they cost $300 Gold and palladium alloy mixed with silver. I seen another boutique cable that uses the same materials going for $1800.

H40 scales to higher end cables perhaps better than any other hybrid in ears I own. Case in point this Penon Leo plus makes the wide stage of the H40 much wider. When I put on this cable for the first time I was shocked at just how much wider the sound can be. And the previous cable I was using with the H40 was no joke either in the Penon Fiery. This cable throws onto the H40 sonics some magic in the form of texture. The best I have heard on the H40. Basically H40 sounds much more higher end using this cable to the point where it is now stealing listening time from my other higher end in ears. The H40 continues to amaze. I know most of you guys will not bother with such cables but just know H40 sound as you know it can and does change for the better.

Better bass texture all the way to treble extension plus the widest stage thrown out with the use of this cable. Silver based so that detail is there. It sounds like a completely different H40 actually.
1583627652138.png
ISN CU4. 4 thicker cores of Crystal Copper. This should match up extremely well with the H40. A better Penon Fiery? Could be. Will let you all know how it matches up with the H40.

Mar 8, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #731 of 5,044
Hi guys. I'm looking at some 200usd range iem and H40 seems nice on paper. I read a few redeeming feature like tall wide and deep stage, prat etc. Some even like it more than T800 that I also consider.

I wonder if any of you guys into earbud and can compare to any VE zen1 or ty 320? I know it's a different form, being open and no subbass and all but if anybody own any 320ohm earbud know there's something unique about them sound wise, the way they move powerful air and such.

Anybody have those earbud and H40 can compare their prat? TiA

Mar 9, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #733 of 5,044
Mar 9, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #734 of 5,044
H40 is a better balanced sound compared to the clear v shaped sound of the XBA-H3. H3 is not so refined as you would imagine. It is their base hybrid model. I used to own a set and sold them off when I got the Z5. I would pick %100 the ISN H40 every time. It is not only more balanced but over all a higher end sound all together.

Mar 9, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #735 of 5,044
You don’t happen to have the Sony XBA H-3 to compare the H40 to? I was looking around online and found a pair similar price, a little cheaper than the H40. Would they be worth getting or is the H40 better value being all things equal in price.

XBA-H3 is just like the first version H40. First tries that weren't so hot. You probably don't want either. Start with XBA-A3 as if H series never existed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back