ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Mar 3, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #707 of 5,044
Guys,

my ISN H40 have severe driver flex, both side, penon wants me to return it but don't know if it's normal because none of you talk about it.

Yes, driver flex is present and also vacuum effect. Sometimes it flexes even when I move my jaw, different tips will alleviate the problem to some degree but yeah, this is how they were designed. I am surprised more people aren't bothered by this, to me it's a major flaw, especially when there are so many IEMs out there with way better bass that have absolutely zero flex even if you insert them at 100 MPH so the engineering exists. Lazy design if you ask me.

Mar 3, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #708 of 5,044
I just insert the iems slowly in my ear. Not a big deal. A little driver flex isn't gonna kill your H40 but if your in doubt you can alway contact Penon. I have some minor flex on my left ear piece but not enough to mention that it is a problem. If flex bothers you try some foam tips which ends up sounding good anyway.

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #710 of 5,044
In other news.. New IEM out of ISN.. ISN D10. Will post a bit more about them on the discovery thread. You heard about it here first.

Interested!

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #713 of 5,044
$175 for single DD is a bit steep IMHO, considering the 4 drivers H40 is $195. But if they managed to have great tuning and great soundstage like H40 it may works.

About driverr flexes on H40 yes Im experiencing that too but it didnt bother me too much. But yes I got driver flex, often.

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #714 of 5,044
2 ways to lessen driver flex. Try wide mouthed foam tips which you can just insert in your ears and go. If your using silicone tips take your time with insertion. As long as you slow down the insertion and have a good fit in your ears all should be good. It is only when you insert quickly is when I hear flex. Also try opening your mouth to open your ears a touch. Should help. Some driver flex will not deteriorate the sound quality of the H40. I have heard numerous dynamic in ears with driver flex.

Never had to send one packing ever.

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #715 of 5,044
Ya it will be a single dynamic in ear designed by the same team that made the ISN H40. RP of $175 I believe. They seem to have more than a sequal to the H40 in mind. Should be interesting. I will let you guys know when these will be available and final specs and such soon.

Hmm..
Would you say that it's supposed to be an Equal or an Upgrade?
-However-
Thinking of price- Maybe they don't want to charge H40 money for it because it's only a single driver Vs. four?
It's still pretty damn close. When you're that high in price another $20. is nothing. Knock that price down to $100-125, now you've got a lot more people seriously thinking about that move. As long as it's all on point without a sound degrading compromise that is.

As mentioned that seems to be a lot of $ for a single driver. My thinking could be seriously flawed here but I'd think it should top at about $100 for a single. Not nearly as many parts there. Then again the parts could claim to be hand crafted by Hobbits from a submerged, cryo frozen, prehistoric meteor that was filled with diamonds that surrounded the first known alien in existence that's now working at the Pentagon. Lovingly tuned by Elvis, then hand packed by Jimmy Hoffa.
Hardy har har

But hey, a lot of you guys have me beat by some serious years in the IEM game. That's why I come here.
It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But then again not many people are willing to bid 100,000 for blown tires from the first Tour da France.

Yes I'm in a joking mood

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #716 of 5,044
$175 for single DD is a bit steep IMHO, considering the 4 drivers H40 is $195. But if they managed to have great tuning and great soundstage like H40 it may works.

About driverr flexes on H40 yes Im experiencing that too but it didnt bother me too much. But yes I got driver flex, often.

GOT...
Did you get rid of them?
If so why did you get rid of them and/ or what did you move to?

Mar 4, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #717 of 5,044
Retail Price is a certain value mark made by the manufacturers. Material and mostly RnD goes into play designing an earphone and the cost associated with it. Going by how ISN charges for their cables and in ears. I bet that $175 is an aggressive price mark. I was told it will compete with $300 plus in ears. And I have zero doubts about this too based on their track record.

The ISN fellas know their sound. Their first effort was the H40 and has a dedicated thread we have here. I can't think of how many manufacturers out of China that make IEMs but don't get a sniff of nothing on these threads as they don't amount to much. These guys make one iem and it has a dedicated fan base?

It is all about implementation. What is the chance that their new D10 is the dynamic version of the H40 we all are talking about here. Maybe even better? A well implemented dynamic iem covers the entire sound spectrum and can have outstanding sound quality. Some of the most legendary flagships headphones and earphones all use good old dynamic technology.

I have earphones that have 14 drivers in them that don't cover the entire sound sonically as good as a single dynamic that sounds more complete. Driver count don't mean a thang.

Mar 5, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #719 of 5,044
There are plenty of dynamic driver IEMs that can range in retail for $1k to $2k
Some great, some okay.

Listen to them (even the new ISN D10) before deciding if they're overpriced.

I think I have 4 single DD IEMs at this time. Yes, I love me some DD :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back