ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Feb 27, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #692 of 5,044
I mean the Ibasso AM05 could be the complement to the ISN H40. The AM05 have lovely Midrange ! But lack the impactful Bass of the H40 , i suppose. Still waiting for the ISN H40 !

Feb 27, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #693 of 5,044
I mean the Ibasso AM05 could be the complement to the ISN H40. The AM05 have lovely Midrange ! But lack the impactful Bass of the H40 , i suppose. Still waiting for the ISN H40 !
For sure. What DAP are you using?

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #695 of 5,044
So as promised. Cable rolling with the H40.

As a new time buyer of the H40 do you need to buy cables and tips on top of the $195 price tag of the H40? The quick answer to that is no. But I know some of you guys want more than the goodness already provided with an out of box experience. I like the fact that they allow you to get the ISN S8 cable that comes with the H40 in any termination you want. Meaning you can use them balanced right away if you so choose. Which is recommended for best overall fidelity. But for guys that can't leave well enough alone this post is for you.

As you guys know the H40 gives a spacious rendition of your favorite and sounds damn good while doing it but a bit more in the way of cable rolling and tip rolling will maximize the sonic potential of the H40. With the crazy stuff that is happening around the world right now I have no idea when things will go back to business as usual but for now. Just know higher end cables and optimized tips do mean that the H40 scales to such things. Of course having a nice source to play the H40 out of is another aspect. All testing done here will be from my DX160 since many of you guys own an use the DX160.

First is the tips selection. Optimizing the spacious large sound and how it projects to your ear I have used the community favorites. Spiral Dots, Symbio Peels, a variety of foams and such. I recently decided to try these.

1583097734518.png
These are Azla SendaEarfit light tips. These give a horn like effect in your ears due to the wide large opening but more proper than even Spiral Dotss. The stem part I am a huge fan of as it is a stiffer material than the cap. Making these much more verstile on your earphone collection. In a nut shell these fit better on more phones than the Spiral dots due to the stem. Absolute superb open sonics using these. They basically amplify the sonic quality you enjoy about the H40 to be even bigger more spacious sounding than standard tip. Highly recommended as they come 2 pairs for $13 for whatever size you need.

Now onto the cables. I posted about 1583098062901.pngKinboofi. 4 thick alloy SPC cable from AK audio. These thing are a direct upgrade on the ISN S8. These cost $70ish and about $10 cheaper on sale. I know it is a bit more in the way of cost vs most cheaper Chi Fi cables but this one I can vouch for. Expands the sound in all directions from the stock H40 sound. These have been very consistant with all earphones I use them on and on the H40 it is no different.

For guys that want the best balanced sonically while getting every bit of detail you can from the H40. There is the ISNs own SC4.
1583098318174.png These go for $109. And worth every penny. These will give you a good idea of how higher end cables interact with the sonic qualities of the H40. Sounds sublime with this cable. Detail freaks will enjoy this one as it will increase the resolution of what you hear. Does not decrase or lessen the bass end in any way. Keeps that rumble we all love on the H40 while throwing out the best detail possible on the H40. While the previous Kinboofi cable will enhance that musicallity of the H40. These simply enhance the detail stage imagery and give a better balanced presentation of all my cables.

Lastly recenly I changed up my cables to a hidden gem of a cable that is from Penon Audio. 1583098569629.pngPenon Fiery. These are sold on Penon audio site. Called the Fiery which is a good name for it. While the SC4 uses 1.3rd of the cores being crystal copper. These are 4 cores of the stuff. Pure crystal copper high end wire in these. Reason why they charge $129. For me right now it is a toss up between the more analytical take on the H40 using the SC4 vs the Fiery. Fiery brings the H40 to sound a bit more chiseled. Guys that want the inner mids detail with better depth and precision. Imaging is top notch using this cable. Full rumbly sub bass to punchy bass with a cleaner treble end. As soon as I attached this cable on the H40 I knew it was gonna stay on there for a while.

Out of the 3 cables the Kinboofi I feel is the best value out of the bunch but it is the 2 higher end cables that really adds a bit extra to the H40 that makes them sound much more higher end than they have a right to be.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #697 of 5,044
I have recently tried these IEM with Sony 505 DAP and I must say that my experience have changed significanrtly. They sound MUCH better from Sony DAP.
Yea definitely. A DAP will help to elevate the sonic performance of IEMs.

Mar 2, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #698 of 5,044
I have recently tried these IEM with Sony 505 DAP and I must say that my experience have changed significanrtly. They sound MUCH better from Sony DAP.

What source did you use before?

Mar 2, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #700 of 5,044
Mar 2, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #701 of 5,044
Different materials. the 8 core version is just an SPC. The reason why the 4 core veriety is more spendy is because it is supposed to have a thicker alloy cooper with a silver coating. The 4 cores are actually just as thick as the 8 core. They are made of physically thicker cores. I have both cables and the 4 Core kinboofi is a higher grade of cable for certain but this don't take away from the 8 core SPC cable you got. Those are excellent for the price as you will see once you get them.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #702 of 5,044
So as promised. Cable rolling with the H40.

Now onto the cables. I posted about 1583098062901.pngKinboofi. 4 thick alloy SPC cable from AK audio. These thing are a direct upgrade on the ISN S8. These cost $70ish and about $10 cheaper on sale. I know it is a bit more in the way of cost vs most cheaper Chi Fi cables but this one I can vouch for. Expands the sound in all directions from the stock H40 sound. These have been very consistant with all earphones I use them on and on the H40 it is no different.

Any change in the bass amount? How about the weight and softness of the cable.

Mar 2, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #703 of 5,044
The SC4 has the best ergonmics by far of any cables I own. Very soft no ear guides. Not to mention every earphone I connected them to makes them sound higher end for certain. Then I would put the Fiery next after that. The Kinboofi Alloy SPC 4 core cable is the bulkiest out of the 3 mentioned a bit on the stiff due to the thicker physical cores and they do have a lighter ear guide on them which isnt bad. As per bass It is a toss up between the Fiery, more defined lower end and the Kinboofi a bit more quantity in the lower end due to the sound expansion the cable provides. Both exhibit excellent bass ends. SC4 doesn't enhance the bass but don't take anything away either.

I would like to add. Best stage width will be the SC4 and overall balance, Best depth Fiery w best bass quality. Best expansion sonically/ fullness of note 4 Core Kinboofi.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #704 of 5,044
I would like to add. Best stage width will be the SC4 and overall balance, Best depth Fiery w best bass quality. Best expansion sonically/ fullness of note 4 Core Kinboofi.

So, now all you have to do is find a cable that combines all of those in one! :)

Mar 2, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #705 of 5,044
First is the tips selection. Optimizing the spacious large sound and how it projects to your ear I have used the community favorites. Spiral Dots, Symbio Peels, a variety of foams and such. I recently decided to try these.

These are Azla SendaEarfit light tips. These give a horn like effect in your ears due to the wide large opening but more proper than even Spiral Dotss. The stem part I am a huge fan of as it is a stiffer material than the cap. Making these much more verstile on your earphone collection. In a nut shell these fit better on more phones than the Spiral dots due to the stem. Absolute superb open sonics using these. They basically amplify the sonic quality you enjoy about the H40 to be even bigger more spacious sounding than standard tip. Highly recommended as they come 2 pairs for $13 for whatever size you need.

The Azla SendaEarfit light tips are little miracle workers for me on my Blon 03's. So far they give the best overall performance. I've never really experimented with different tips but the way the blons fit clearly something had to be done. Mine came with the SpinFit copy tips but they were too shallow and didn't work well for me. I tried SpinFit CP500 and regular Spiral Dot's too. Just too damn shallow. Spacer mod, tried that too. It amounted to nothing. All the foams I tried just left the bass thick, the mids a bit muddy, and they killed off the highs that gave the impression of air and space.

I usually wear a MED but decided to try an inbetween size ML Azla SendaEarfit with the standard material. Compared to the foam tips the EarFit's stayed put in my ear and much of the higher notes and air that the stock tips presented were still there. As a bonus I was now getting a bit better, tighter bass.
After a few days of on and off listening my ears started to hurt a bit so I decided to try the same tips in my normal smaller M size.

I thought the smaller size was better for comfort but there was something else going on here.

Just by going to that little bit smaller size the notes seemed to be a just a little crisper, cleaner, somehow more whole and the bass still had it's slam. My hurting ear got me to thinking about the Light version of those tips. Yea, I ordered those next in the same size. However I couldn't forget what I thought had happened to the music when I went to the smaller tips so I also ordered the MS size for crap's and giggles.

When the Light tips in M and MS got here I tried the M version first just to keep the differences small. They seem more comfortable to me so I listened to a couple of songs I really like that have some air and space to them. Joe Walsh- The Confessor, Billy Thorpe- Children Of The Sun. I also played a couple of Rush tunes (Red Barchetta & YYZ) to see what Neil Peart was going to sound like when beating the hides. For me his kit never really sounded tight enough with the blons, always a bit thick. Overall it seemed just the switch to the clear silicone material had somehow taken a little of the drum and bass bloat/ thickness out and also added just a shade of highs. The M size still fit and sealed (at times they turn inside out when I remove them) the low note of the drums and bass guitar were still there when called for.

I installed the MS size and it seemed once again things tightened up a bit. I think I'm getting a cleaner, less muddy sound with even more of an air quality to it during those first two songs I mentioned. But the kicker is during the Rush tracks the drums and bass seem so much cleaner but yet they retain their weight and impact for me. It's just that now the men behind the instruments are starting to show through a bit without making the blons overly technical and retaining their fun sound.

I'm thinking either the smaller size is allowing the tip to be inserted a little deeper -OR- the larger sizes were actually presenting a smaller opening because they were being somewhat crushed/ deformed in my ear canal. While good for a seal, not good for sound. I tried swapping back and forth several times and it's either a repeated convincing placebo effect or I have found my perfect fit with the Blon 03's.

So yea, what the hell, I ordered the small EarFit Light's yesterday. I don't have them yet but I really think the MS size is THE ONE for me.
Don't know, maybe with how specific you can get with the between sizes the EarFit's offer I'll end up with a different size in each ear.
Yes I've clearly spent more than what the blons cost just it tips. To be honest I purchased a Tripowin C8 cable at the same time as the blons so....
But hey, there was no way I was going to end up with the sound that I'm hearing now without some experimenting.
Experimenting is half the fun for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back