ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Feb 21, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #646 of 5,044
@Dsnuts has them and did a fantastic objective comparison in his review.

I took that down since I wrote it on the Dk2001 review. I felt the comparison part took away the spot light a bit on the Dk2001 which I have in my ears as I type. I can say the DK2001 is a bit more technical in approach to sonics compared to the H40. H40 however has the one aspect that is very admirable for in ears and that is that big sound/ stage/ space.

This is what I wrote for the comparison between the DK2001 vs the H40.

4)Finally we have the DK2001 vs the new to the scene ISN H40 the other 5 star earphone I gave late last year.

ISN H40 has the wider stage, overall a fuller body of sound. More forward lower mids with a mild 3khz upper mids emphasis, overall it has the more even mid range vs the DK2001. H40 is better suited for male vocals due to this aspect. DK2001 mids has a steeper upper mid emphasis more closer in the 2Khz range which gives the mids some extra bite clarity and presence vs the H40. Female vocals sounds superb on the DK2001 as a result. DK2001 is way more comfortable and has the better quality of bass. For being $105 cheaper the H40 bass is no weak sauce. I can clearly tell the difference in the quality of dynamics used between the two. Isolation is similar with a slight edge to the H40. H40 mids have a warmer smoother tone especially in the mids vs the cooler and cleaner DK2001. DK2001 Imaging has better precision. Treble has better articulation. Slightly more emphasis and shimmer. Mid bass on the H40 has more energy, giving it one of the punchiest bass notes possible without stepping over any part of the mids. DK2001 doesn't fall too far behind but has the more dynamic sounding bass overall. Is better textured in the sub regions which most definitely digs deeper. H40 sounds grander in scope due to the wider fuller body of sound. Loses out on imaging and precision with better technical qualities to the DK2001 however.

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #647 of 5,044
Hey everyone,

I have had this for quite a while now but hesitated to write a review since my impressions quite contradicted with everyone other impressions and I was not really impressed with them

BUT....

I don't know if this was already mentioned but there is an easy fix to these earphones, just put some duct tape on vent holes of H40 and voula you get quite balanced sound.

Bass is no longer overpowering other frequeinces, no extra harshness or brightness, anyone who has H40 should simply try it since it's very easy "fix" for H40 and easily resersable.

Once vent hole is closed these IEM finally start to shine and sound balanced.

photo_2020-02-21_18-05-18.jpg

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #648 of 5,044
Hey everyone,

I have had this for quite a while now but hesitated to write a review since my impressions quite contradicted with everyone other impressions and I was not really impressed with them

BUT....

I don't know if this was already mentioned but there is an easy fix to these earphones, just put some duct tape on vent holes of H40 and voula you get quite balanced sound.

Bass is no longer overpowering other frequeinces, no extra harshness or brightness, anyone who has H40 should simply try it since it's very easy "fix" for H40 and easily resersable.

Once vent hole is closed these IEM finally start to shine and sound balanced.

I don't think the stock sound is harsh or bright to start off with. Sure, it will sound more balanced with your mod but less fun sounding. To each his/her own.

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #649 of 5,044
On the second thought, I am not even sure what exactly it does. Bass is too much both with and without it but it does something with mid to high freq and some people might like it more with tape.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #650 of 5,044
Hey all!

Does anyone have recommendations for open-back headphones that are similar to the H40 in terms of tuning and soundstage? Maybe with more precise imaging? Is there anything comparable in the under $500 range?

I've been lurking this thread for a while and decided to give them a try and they are the best set I've ever heard. It has an incredibly fun presentation. I just tend to have fit issues occasionally with the right ear in particular.

Appreciate any help y'all could offer me.

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #651 of 5,044
These are second IEM for which I can't come up with a proper review since I am really strugling to find good stuff in them, maybe for crazy bass-boosted basshead lovers, dunno.
They are definitely soft in mid / highs but this bass, is it even fixable?
Btw, first IEM were NX7 which were simply a faulty product, something like sony mh750 sounds more balanced than NX7.

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #653 of 5,044
These are second IEM for which I can't come up with a proper review since I am really strugling to find good stuff in them, maybe for crazy bass-boosted basshead lovers, dunno.
Btw, first IEM were NX7 which were simply a faulty product, something like sony mh750 sounds more balanced than NX7.

I see it this way: there's nothing wrong with a humble review. You got fair license. What would help is you provide details because in the end, you're helping the community in making informed decisions. Good luck with what you want to do next.

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #654 of 5,044

I'm not a basshead, while i found the bass quantity is above my preferences, with current 120hours+ and spinfit CP360 (or CP145) they seems more balance now. Maybe you can try to burn in and do eartips rolling.

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #655 of 5,044
Hey all!

Does anyone have recommendations for open-back headphones that are similar to the H40 in terms of tuning and soundstage? Maybe with more precise imaging? Is there anything comparable in the under $500 range?

I've been lurking this thread for a while and decided to give them a try and they are the best set I've ever heard. It has an incredibly fun presentation. I just tend to have fit issues occasionally with the right ear in particular.

Appreciate any help y'all could offer me.

1582300431218.png
Philips X2 is less than $140 on amazon. Similar fun tuning as the H40. These punch way above what they cost. Look into these.

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #657 of 5,044
It isn't exactly like the H40 but it offers that type of balance with bass. Should offer you that stage your looking for with a roomy sound. Good luck I have a few others in mind but this one is a good start.

I do believe Philips has made the X3 which should be more refined than the X2 shown but them X2s are cheap enough to order and try out. If you don't like em you can send them back. Advantage of Amazon

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #658 of 5,044
After a few more hours of listening...
Source: Cayin N6ii + A01

H40 is sounding more natural. Sub bass still not entirely refined like my other hybrid and DD IEMs. Perhaps the H40 need more time.

If you have a $200 budget, this IEM is a no brainer.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #659 of 5,044
Since I acquired the PAW Gold Touch I hadn't tried the H40 on it and... I know it doesn't quite make sense as a pairing but.... it rocks even more, more controlled bass wise but more importantly a more balanced presentation with more open mids and yet more refined treble... This might be one of the most punchy IEM regardless of price point and insane value for money!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #660 of 5,044
20200222_210711_HDR~2.jpg

OOH LAA LAAA... I'm addicted!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back