ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
Jul 20, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #2,761 of 5,106
A bit about my own sound preference. I am a fan of greatness in a sound be it neutral to musical and everything in between. You guys have to understand I am a fan of music. I listen to old country to acid jazz to Armin Van Burren to Slayer. Just like my eclectic taste in music I have an eclectic taste in earphone tunings. You don't have 100s of earphones and have just one likes in a tuning. For me anyways I find greatness in earphones that go for a particular type of sound and do it well and if it is good with my eclectic taste in music than it is good. So that is my angle of reviewing and likes in the sound. Just you all know.

Jul 20, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #2,762 of 5,106
A bit about my own sound preference. I am a fan of greatness in a sound be it neutral to musical and everything in between. You guys have to understand I am a fan of music. I listen to old country to acid jazz to Armin Van Burren to Slayer. Just like my eclectic taste in music I have an eclectic taste in earphone tunings. You don't have 100s of earphones and have just one likes in a tuning. For me anyways I find greatness in earphones that go for a particular type of sound and do it well and if it is good with my eclectic taste in music than it is good. So that is my angle of reviewing and likes in the sound. Just you all know.
You're doing an awesome job, man! Thank you!

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #2,763 of 5,106
Eclectic taste in music- it is all about good music (your definition of good music) not a particular genre of music but multiple genre, that is exactly my "taste".

It does not mean you like anything and everything, it just means your taste is a broad range. I take my hat off 🎩 to you!

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #2,764 of 5,106
I would love to get Volts but just wonder again how much of the difference would that make vs what I already have. Not sure if it's optimal with fast paced extreme metal :) But Volt is on the list definitely.
Please share an album or @ least a track. will try it out.
They passed through the rigorous tests via my entire Chemical Brothers album collection.
I will sell my set if they're not up to the job.
Handling complex music structure, fast pace, adsr and prat - all of these and at the same enjoying them is a MUST for me...

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #2,765 of 5,106
Please share an album or @ least a track. will try it out.
They passed through the rigorous tests via my entire Chemical Brothers album collection.
I will sell my set if they're not up to the job.
Handling complex music structure, fast pace, adsr and prat - all of these and at the same enjoying them is a MUST for me...
Shure you can try:

Those are quite fast and complex

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #2,766 of 5,106
Jul 21, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #2,767 of 5,106
Ok so after 48 hours of burn in time I've spent the last 3 days enjoying the EST50. I won't do a full write up right now as I need to AB them with my other tribrids but I want to say that these are a direct upgrade path from the ISN H40. I would say will 90% confidence that if you enjoy the H40 you will enjoy these. And if you don't then you most likely won't want these either.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #2,768 of 5,106
Whats your thoughts on them. I am hearing good things about those.
The Variations are excellent. The tuning is just to my liking. The EJ07M is also an excellent IEM with similar tuning but I believe the upper mids are more prominent. I have the original EJ07 and I don't feel the newer M variant is going to replace the originals but it does have a lift in the bass and upper treble regions that I appreciate. Just not sure if their technicalities are the same. Of the two I think I prefer the Variations. Still waiting on my EST50. The latest status is: Oooooh they just got delivered by USPS. Epic fail for an express delivery option. Real quick first 10 minute impressions is that they are gonna be good. I get what people are saying about the heavy bass but I dig it. Presumably some break in will pay dividends. I do find the nozzle to be at such an angle that tips are going to be really important for comfort. will check back in a day or two with further impressions.

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #2,770 of 5,106
Long term seasonal lurker here.
Thanks to all of you I bought an H40 last year and was blown away by it. Especially that sweet sweet bass and soundstage.

However, one of the monitors ceased producing a certain range of frequencies. I guess a BA failed. I sent it back to @Penon under warranty but I'm having a horrid customer support experience so far. It's been more than a month since they received the IEM with nothing about when (or IF, ever) I will get back a repaired or new unit. I can entertain you with the full story at a later post, maybe more appropriately posted here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/penon-audio-thread-post-your-impressions-here.934523/

If you rule out Penon, which IEM would you recommend from a brand with better/reasonable customer support?
Bass, soundstage, and channel separation are what I seem to care.
First thing that comes to mind is FH5/FH5s, or are there better/similar alternatives I should check out?

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #2,771 of 5,106
Thanks to all of you I bought an H40 last year and was blown away by it. Especially that sweet sweet bass and soundstage.

However, one of the monitors ceased producing a certain range of frequencies. I guess a BA failed. I sent it back to @Penon under warranty but I'm having a horrid customer support experience so far. It's been more than a month since they received the IEM with nothing about when (or IF, ever) I will get back a repaired or new unit. I can entertain you with the full story at a later post, maybe more appropriately posted here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/penon-audio-thread-post-your-impressions-here.934523/

If you rule out Penon, which IEM would you recommend from a brand with better/reasonable customer support?
First thing that comes to mind is FH5/FH5s, or are there better/similar alternatives I should check out?
If you're buying chi fi you're going to get horrible customer service. Linsoul is worst than Penon.

Jul 22, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2,772 of 5,106

Someone I know returned a pair of IEMs to Penon and the transaction went very well.
Please be patient, most of us have no idea what's the hold up from their side, but they DO take action. There should reasonable delays, i.e. your replacement unit is not in stock ∴ awaiting unit to arrive from factory to the shop for dispatch.
I don't know anyone else in the HK, TW, mainland area MORE reliable than Penon at this level of price point transactions. NONE whatsoever...

Said transaction took more than a month, usd. 270++ was the set...

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #2,773 of 5,106
DSC08390.JPG

Non expensive great cable match up for the ISN EST50. IKKO CTU-01 it is called. Surprising how resolving this cable is. Matches awesomely with the EST50.
https://www.amazon.com/CTU01-Materi...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #2,774 of 5,106
Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #2,775 of 5,106

Still like them and you don't stock eartips anymore ? The cable looks nice!
They haven't been shipped yet but I'm sure it will be quick. I will give my review as a "basshead"-basslover soon. For now, just enjoying the Tingker TK300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back