is used pair of TECHNICS EAH-810 for 60 bucks worth it?
Aug 8, 2010 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RexAeterna

Headphoneus Supremus
just curious cause i found a pair on ebay for 50 dollars plus 10 dollar shipping across the U.S. been reading a lot bout orthodynamic headphones lately and how they offer a very flat frequency response compared to dynamic. also would like to try something different and getting tired of my current sennheiser hd-205II.

source i be plugging'em up is to my vintage 1976 craig Am/FM stereo receiver i have hooked up to my gaming rig through the ceramic phono inputs.

thinking of selling my ps3 to friend since i bearly play it at all for around 150 so was looking around to try maybe vintage dynamic headphones or the technic eah-810 headphones. i read tho most orthodynamic headphones lack soundstage..is that true? any advice be helpful.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 7
i have tried them. very neat looking, but near the bottom of the ortho pile sound wise. weak sound, needs a ton of amp, tendency to cut out when driven hard. only good for the collector. 
there is a huge ortho thread here. most orthos are closed and small, hence the small soundstage- generally, but not always! 

you should start with a realistic pro 30 (buy mine lol) , or a fostex t50rp, or one of the yamahas. the modern fostex will give the most modern sound, tho i love my fostex t20v1 better than all orthos i have heard.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 7
thanx! i think i'm going to give the Fostex T50RP a shot and get those. how you think they sound(as a guess of course) running through my vintage craig am/fm stereo receiver/amp? it made world of difference when i plugged my current hd 205's to'em.

i know there 50ohm but i been reading they can be a pain to drive.i'll also give the ortho thread a read to learn some more. thanx again. more advice tho be more then welcomed :)

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 7
vintage recievers sometimes have great headphone outputs. get the cans and try them. my best headphone amp is actually a vintage reciever

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 7
It's hard to say what it will sound like. My HD-595s sound boomy and muddy with my new Harman Kardon HK6250 integrated ('92) but my ATH-AD2000s and speakers sound beautiful with it. In fact, it gets at least 80% of the way to my McIntosh with the Audio-Technica cans which is the best praise I can give for a SS amp. Audio is 100% about synergy.

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 7
thanx for the imput guys. my receiver/amp is from 1976 and it works like new and looks new. got it from a family member.  nothing wrong with interior components,nobs are tip-top shape. even the fm/am radio works so flawlessly. it has ceramic and magnetic phono inputs. don't know much about it other then that since i found nothing on google when i first got it about the thing.i'll give the fostex a shot and order'em soon. i just thought the technics would be good. glad i asked before dropping 60 bucks on used cans.

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 7
thanks guys - I was also eyeing them for a while :) is there any diffrence in EAH-820 ? or they are just as crappy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back