Is this the incoming Shure Open-backed Headphone
Nov 27, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #61 of 163

Quote:
IMO the 940's bass is not neutral, it is not natural, and it is not 'perfect'.  It has a mid bass hole - which is plainly visible on the graphs, and is evident if you actually take time to listen to them.  Your statement is both ill-informed and incorrect.

According to the graph, the srh940 have a "mid-bass hole" of 2db, nothing  to make a fuss compared to the more than 12db treble peak at 9k.
I believe that because of some kind of psychoacoustic phenomenon, the treble peak makes the bass appears worse than it is actually.

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #62 of 163

Quote:
Bass is overrated. The amount of bass on the srh940 according to graphs is the perfect amount to allow the mids and highs to shine. Neutral bass is best bass.

Agreed that neutral bass is best...but I wouldn't classify the SRH940's bass as "neutral".
smile.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #64 of 163

Quote:

Of course one has to have listened to something first before saying anything, but placebo still remains a variable. 

Have to say again though, that I'd hope people listened to music and its integrity rather than FR-differences and "sound". Not sure about people here, but I can get used to differences in FR just fine, as long as they're within acceptable limits. Many other factors have an impact to a much greater degree...

Not speaking about Shure here, but my sonic impressions have never and will never be affected by any measurement whatsoever.  Nor by anyone else's opinion.  "Cause that's just like, they're opinion man..."

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #65 of 163

Quote:
According to the graph, the srh940 have a "mid-bass hole" of 2db, nothing  to make a fuss compared to the more than 12db treble peak at 9k.
I believe that because of some kind of psychoacoustic phenomenon, the treble peak makes the bass appears worse than it is actually.

Actually I see it as approx 4db at it's widest point - and for something as important to the spectrum as the mid-bass, that's definitely audible.

However - to clarify (and this is for E-Pop's benefit as well), I noticed and commented on the "wonky" bass well before the graphs were ever released.  It was the reason that I sold my pair.  The graphs didn't influence my decision in the slightest.  All they did was later help explain what I was hearing - ie provide extra information for what I had already heard.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #66 of 163
WHAOH! Looks like a T1 and HD650 mixed! Looks great but can it's sound match it's incredible looks?

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #67 of 163
I think it's kind of funny that 90% of this thread is a debate about the SRH940.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #69 of 163
Yeah, thanks for derailing this thread on the second page, 940 fans/haters. I've seen more focused discussions on 4chan. Go take your petty arguments somewhere else.

I really hope they fixed the headband. They should have - after all, this 'drilling into the center of my skull' thing has been plaguing Shures since they introduced their first headphones.
It's been a while since I used Shure headphones. I might take a gander at this one, if the price isn't too prohibitive. Hopefully it'll be released by the end of the year.

Quote:
Well, you know all what is the million dollar question regarding these new headphones.

Actually, I don't. I'm guessing it has to do with the price?

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #70 of 163

Quote:
I think it's kind of funny that 90% of this thread is a debate about the SRH940.

It's funny, the SRH940 is going through a process that almost every notable headphone release in the last some odd years has on this site.  Uncle Erik has identified the process quite accurately and it is as follows:

First- The new headphone is given high praise initially

Second-The headphone begins to have detractors critical of it performance

Third-Debate/battle(sometimes quite fierce) begins between supporters and detractors

Fourth-Some sort of consensus is reached on the headphone

I'd say we're in the battle/debate phase.
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #72 of 163

Quote:
Yeah, thanks for derailing this thread on the second page, 940 fans/haters. I've seen more focused discussions on 4chan. Go take your petty arguments somewhere else.

I really hope they fixed the headband. They should have - after all, this 'drilling into the center of my skull' thing has been plaguing Shures since they introduced their first headphones.
It's been a while since I used Shure headphones. I might take a gander at this one, if the price isn't too prohibitive. Hopefully it'll be released by the end of the year.

Actually, I don't. I'm guessing it has to do with the price?

I've never had this issue? Do you have any hair by any chance. If you have no hair i can see them being uncomfortable but hair works as a fantastic cushion

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #73 of 163
The SRH940 and other similar "studio" type designs suffer this problem for me. Basically the top of the headband presses down on your head rather harshly and only at the very tip of your head - it doesn't spread the weight around. A proper design like the HD650 basically curves perfectly around the head so that the weight is evenly distributed.

Having thicker hair definitely makes it feel worse for me. I think it depends on skull size. My head was actually always too big for HD280 Pros, and they clamped down on the top of my head so hard that if I wore them for an hour or two I could come out with literally a big groove carved into my hair, simply because the headband pressure was so tight (they barely fit on my head without popping off like an overstretched spring).

Anyway, when I put on the SRH940, it's so widely flexed open that the top of the headband looks literally flat. It is literally like laying a flat surface right on the top of my head. Not comfortable. I mean it's not bad, but it's not great. HD650 on the other hand gently brushes the entire top part of my head and is extremely comfortable for that reason.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #74 of 163

Quote:
It might depend on head size, but having thicker hair definitely makes it feel worse for me. The SRH940 and other similar "studio" type designs suffer this problem for me. Basically the top of the headband presses down on your head rather harshly and only at the very tip of your head - it doesn't spread the weight around. A proper design like the HD650 basically curves perfectly around the head so that the weight is evenly distributed.

Specifically, when I put on the SRH940, it's so widely flexed open that the top of the headband looks literally flat. It is literally like laying a flat surface right on the top of my head. HD650 on the other hand gently brushes the entire top part of my head and is extremely comfortable for that reason.

I honestly can't say i have had weight or comfort issues with the shure srh840 headphones. In fact they are among the most comfortable headphones i have ever used.

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #75 of 163
Let me put it this way. My ideal adjustment of my HD650 is 90% fully extended. To someone else I know, it's 0% fully extended. If I had it 0% extended the ear cups would be resting on my temples :p

Different people have different head sizes. The SRH940/840 / Sennheiser HD 280 Pro bland old "studio" design works great for people with medium or small heads, but is far less than ideal for those with large heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back