Is this the incoming Shure Open-backed Headphone
Nov 26, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #31 of 163

Quote:
I was saying that I don't want an open back SRH940
wink.gif

x2.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The 940 is far more detailed than the 840s. Its detail is the same as / exceeds the top tiers.

The 940s have trumped up treble that make them appear more revealing, but IMO they do not exceed other $400 headphones in that regard. What about details say...sub 100Hz? I can barely hear anything, let alone details in this range.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #32 of 163

Quote:
x2.
biggrin.gif

The 940s have trumped up treble that make them appear more revealing, but IMO they do not exceed other $400 headphones in that regard. What about details say...sub 100Hz? I can barely hear anything, let alone details in this range.

They are detailed, even after you compensate the treble boost with an eq. I  can hear well the sub 100 hz bass too, with a good source & right eq. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #33 of 163

Quote:

Sub 100HZ on the 940 is amazingly detailed and still has presence, but lets not start another 940 debate.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #34 of 163

Quote:
They are detailed, even after you compensate the treble boost with an eq. I  can hear well the sub 100 hz bass too, with a good source & right eq. 

Never said they weren't detailed. Just not giant killers by any stretch.

The gear I used to hear them was almost 8-9X the cost of the SRH940s (Peachtree iNova and a Meier Concerto) and my comments about sub bass stand compared to many sub $400 headphones.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #35 of 163

Quote:
Never said they weren't detailed. Just not giant killers by any stretch.

The gear I used to hear them was almost 8-9X the cost of the SRH940s (Peachtree iNova and a Meier Concerto) and my comments about sub bass stand compared to many sub $400 headphones.

Probably you'd find more impressive bass with other headphones; but it's misleading to say that the srh940 have no bass. With a little eq, I  can have sometimes massive bass.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #36 of 163

Quote:
Probably you'd find more impressive bass with other headphones; but it's misleading to say that the srh940 have no bass. With a little eq, I  can have sometimes massive bass.

EQ can introduce artifacts and distortions and is not ideal...then what do you do if you don't listen to PC music? I am not buying an equalizer for a pair of Shure headphones.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #38 of 163

Quote:

Yeah but I wouldn't call it massive. Let me just explain my observations of SRH940 with my "massive bass" test.

First step: I set my equalizer with essentially a massive bass boost where bass is given a maximum boost and all mids and treble are almost completely removed. I listen to a particularly good deep bass beat in one of my FLAC songs, and I slowly turn my amplification up, starting from completely silent. My NFB12 can easily drive HD650s beyond deafening levels, so it's good enough I think. 

SRH940. Starting silently, bass is not all that loud, but it is of course emphasized. Turning up to 8 oclock you hear the bass coming in, very clear and powerful enough. At 9 oclock the bass reaches its peak of impactfulness though, because as I turn it up past that point, the mids and treble come forward and the bass stays at the same intensity - and I can hear some distortion in the lower end that definitely doesn't sound like a clean signal. I don't turn it any further than 10 oclock because I don't want to damage it or my hearing.

HD650. Starting silently, bass is present, strong and very clear. Turning up to 9 oclock (keep in mind HD650 takes more power than SRH940), the bass comes in very strong as expected, and clearly much more impact than the SRH940 - with the 940 you can hear the bass, but with the 650 you can feel it. Turning up to 9 oclock, 10 oclock, the bass comes in stronger and stronger with no signs of distortion whatsoever. At 11 oclock it's a really powerful slamming thumping sound and feeling, very impressive. At 1 oclock it's quite literally vibrating on my head to the point where the earpads are tickling my head from the vibration, yet there is still absolutely no signs of distortion throughout the spectrum and clearly it could go louder (but I would probably damage my ears or reach the limits of my amp first).

So basically while the SRH940 has decent bass up to a certain volume, it is in no way what I'd consider "massive bass" like an HD650 can produce. Essentially, the SRH940 bass starts to clip at a certain volume. As long as you keep bass on the SRH940 below that volume it seems very controlled and acceptably impactful but it does start to clip rather quickly. The HD650 on the other hand seems to have virtually no limit in bass -- as long as you provide the signal, it will produce it -- and IMO has more accurate bass and without a doubt vastly more powerful "slam" and impact.

(Like I've said in the past, SRH940 dominates upper mids and treble. HD650 dominates the entire lower end. Each headphone cannot touch the other in their respective strong points, although to be honest the HD650's highs are closer in quality to the SRH940's highs, than the SRH940s bass is to the HD650s bass. Again none are clearly superior to the other, it just depends what you want.)

Back on topic:

So I guess this relates to the upcoming SRH-??? in that, I hope they can produce bass in league with the HD650 with these while retaining the detailed mids and highs as good or better than the SRH940. If they do, they'll have a flagship-killer, possibly. It is doubtful though, but I think it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #39 of 163

Quote:

Yeah but I wouldn't call it massive. Let me just explain my observations of SRH940 with my "massive bass" test.

First step: I set my equalizer with essentially a massive bass boost where bass is given a maximum boost and all mids and treble are almost completely removed. I listen to a particularly good deep bass beat in one of my FLAC songs, and I slowly turn my amplification up, starting from completely silent. My NFB12 can easily drive HD650s beyond deafening levels, so it's good enough I think. 

I don't massively boost the bass in eq, I  mainly decrease the 9k treble peak, this allows to raise more the volume without hurting the ears,
and hear better the bass. My eq is inspired from the headroom graph,  so it's a little bit more complex.
I  can hear some "massive" bass , on title like "sexy chick" from guetta , technologic from daft punk,  slip from deadmau5 etc...
But for awesome thumping , there are better headphones for sure (the proof with my senn IE7).

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #40 of 163
Bass is overrated. The amount of bass on the srh940 according to graphs is the perfect amount to allow the mids and highs to shine. Neutral bass is best bass.

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #42 of 163

Quote:
Bass is overrated. The amount of bass on the srh940 according to graphs is the perfect amount to allow the mids and highs to shine. Neutral bass is best bass.

And you've extensively tested the SRH940 personally - or you're just going off what you've read, or the graphs ...... 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #43 of 163
It seems that finally they've tried something to fix the headband design, need to listen to see if there's really something new with the driver...

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #44 of 163
Mmm, graphs.

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #45 of 163

Quote:
And you've extensively tested the SRH940 personally - or you're just going off what you've read, or the graphs ...... 
rolleyes.gif

Hate to be rude by i stated "according to graphs" I am pretty sure thats self explanatory. I'm only stating that emphasized bass is overrated. My shure srh840 has way to much bass for a neutral can. Would prefer more treble to compensate. Still i would be more interested in a shure open back headphone vs a closed back headphone. Closed back always sound cramped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back