Is this the incoming Shure Open-backed Headphone
Dec 6, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #151 of 163

Quote:
Diminishing returns actually proves my point if anything. $700 is close to LCD-2 level pricing, so due to law of diminishing returns, the extra $250 for an LCD-2 should have negligible sound quality difference at most. Therefore if they sell at $700, it's going to have to be awfully close to LCD-2 class of sound quality for it to be worth it.

LCD-2's actually very reasonably priced for the sound they offer (judging from reviews). They don't use the same technology, and Shure's traditional sound sig differs from the LCD's, so it won't be an apples to apples comparison. $700 is really steep though, coming from a company that's never made anything that cost more than $300. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #152 of 163
I'm not speculating prices until I see it available in the US.

We'll just have to wait and see.  Hopefully the price it competitively.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #154 of 163
My current "open" headphones are the HD600s...
If these produce a similar sound with a bit more clarity (i.e. less dark) I could see me buying them and reselling the Senns...

BUT...

I'll wait on the official US prices... if it's really like $700, I'd be better off just buying the HE500s (methinks)

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #155 of 163
I think we should all head over to jude's thread now. I'm pretty excited:

> I've had a Shure SRH1840 prototype here this past spring, and received a production version of it last week. It is a very impressive headphone

Looks like Shure yet again manages to impress!

I am now officially heading over to the other thread now :)

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #156 of 163

Quote:
Construction details are here in the pictures (might wanna use Google translate for the text):
  http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201112/06/29920.html
The poster estimates 10,000 yen for the SRH1840, and 40,000 for the SRH1440.  If he had his number switched around, that's $515 for the SRH1840 and $129 for the SRH1440.  However, if he meant to say that the SRH1840 is 100,000 yen, that's $1,290: I'm hoping it's the former!

Here's an interview with Peter Barkan:
  http://www.phileweb.com/review/article/201112/06/414.html
If my Google Japanese is correct, he liked them better than the SRH940s for jazz, folk and bluegrass. When listening to Dylan, my guess on the translation: "I was surprised at the vivid voice. It was as if Dylan was there and I was not. I was conscious like never before of certain sounds, such as what sounded like hitting a tack with a hammer: the upright piano in the back containing a thin, clear sound. I've heard this song for decades, and this is the first I had heard that sound. With such a wide soundstage, you will often hear the outline of the instrument. "

So, assuming their list price is $515, and street price is $400 or so, I will definitely be interested.  Other sites say 2012 for actual availability :frowning2:

Both headphones look gorgeous with the 1440 looking even more so.  The one thing that concerns me about both headphones is they both seem to have some sort of upper mid to lower treble emphasis according to the graphs here and in the other announcement thread.  I suppose that's been the character of Shure's headphone line but I was hoping for a little deemphasized treble in the new models, but this might not be an issue at all.  We'll see and hear how they sound when they're officially released.

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #157 of 163

Quote:
I think we should all head over to jude's thread now. I'm pretty excited:

> I've had a Shure SRH1840 prototype here this past spring, and received a production version of it last week. It is a very impressive headphone

Looks like Shure yet again manages to impress!

I am now officially heading over to the other thread now :)

Hey, we started this thread before Jude's and therefore should stay.
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #158 of 163
Well Jude has the headphones before all of us, so I think he wins :p

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #160 of 163
Can't wait to hear Jude's impressions.

I'm glad that the 1840 appears that it will come into the market with a pretense of affordable (for me at least...not that I can afford $500-600 now but the price might come down enough that I may some day!). I was bummed to see the HD700 coming in at $999.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #161 of 163
Yea, looks like it might be sellin' time.

I haven't been much for open cans just because I use speaker towers if I don't mind others hearing my music (live with two others)...

But maybe I can find space for these beauties as a desk can.  We'll see

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #162 of 163
Oh, if anyone wants some more information about the driver assembly, headband and frame, or the frequency response curve, I found this YouTube link of someone recording a presentation of the 1840's (there is an English translator speaking):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aid7yYOXsDQ

EDIT: Video wasn't working.

Dec 8, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #163 of 163

Oh, if anyone wants some more information about the driver assembly, headband and frame, or the frequency response curve, I found this YouTube link of someone recording a presentation of the 1840's (there is an English translator speaking):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aid7yYOXsDQ

Good video. No "revolutionnary" technology seem to be used, they are just taking care of every details of the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back