is this soundstage that i'm experiencing?
Sep 21, 2010 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

scannon18

100+ Head-Fier
I did a quick comparison of my Denon ahd 2000s and my Bose QC 15s to see which sounded better.  As you can guess the award goes to the denons, mostly because I could pick out individual instruments better. it seemed as though sounds were coming from different parts of the driver, or different parts of the room.  The QC 15s, on the other hand, sounded like the music was being performed in a small kitchen.

Is this a difference in soundstage?  I have heard that Bose generally has good soundstage, but if my inkling is correct about what soundstage is, then the denons are much better in that respect.  Actually, the denons have been better in every respect except for isolation.

Anyone else have an opinion of the Denon AHD 2000 and soundstage?

EDIT: grammar

Sep 21, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
As you can guess the award goes to the denons, mostly because I could pick out individual instruments better. it seemed as though sounds were coming from different parts of the driver, or different parts of the room.  The QC 15s, on the other hand, sounded like the music was being performed in a small kitchen.

Is this a difference in soundstage?  

Yeah, soundstage is the positioning and sense of space of the sound. They have a nice soundstage, very natural. 

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 10
I thought "soundstage" was how far apart the different instruments are from one another across the stage, and "imaging" was the ability to pinpoint where exactly each instrument is on the stage. Of course, the two concepts really aren't mutually exclusive.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #4 of 10
soundstage is how wide and spacious everything is.  think about the name soundstage.  to a point its how far the instruments are from each other, but on the other hand i read somewhere about this statement.  "soundstage" is how far you are from the music.  think about a band playing on stage.  a small soundstage would mean your right up front listening to them.  a large soundstage would mean your in the upper deck so you can hear almost everything.  this is why large soundstage headphones are great in gaming.  you can hear everything around you, not just the stuff right in front of you that is so compressed.  this is why i have the ad700, they really shine.  i never heard of imaging, but that seems legit.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 10
these Denons continue to betray their closed headphone design.  First they have no isolation, now they have soundstage. 

Sep 22, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 10
Hmmm, last i heard, soundstage is not the exclusive domain of open phones, and closed phones can have soundstage albeit not as expansive as open phones.

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 10
The D2000 soundstage is much smaller than the K701 and HD600s.  (the only 3 pairs of headphones I've listened to for a decent period of time)

However, they do have a decent soundstage, and I am quite happy with it.  =)  I would like to try J$ pads or the MarkL mod, as both are said to increase the sounstage by putting more space between your ear and the driver.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 10
yea, those J money pads look sweet.  Wouldn't mind a new headbands, too

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 10
You can always try stuffing the pads to see if you like the sound of more distance between your ear and the driver. That is what we did before the j$ pads were around. Just take some fiber loft or cotton balls and stuff on the backside of the ear cushion and the driver housing. Its easy to do in its reversible.

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
these Denons continue to betray their closed headphone design.  First they have no isolation, now they have soundstage. 

You can't always judge a book by its cover! With my K601s still out of commission, I believe my W10vtg takes the cake in sound stage and it's closed.

Also, instrument separation isn't part of sound stage / head stage to my knowledge. For example, my Pioneer SE-L40s have great instrument separation, but a rather closed-in to medium sound stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back