Is this portable amp a winner?
Oct 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mvmv

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Just thinking of getting a slightly bigger but still portable amp for home use with my ATH-M50 with a LOD from my iPod Classic, as i currently only have a fiio E5. This guy on ebay says his design is based on a CMoy amp which seem to be very popular.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250657080522&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Would you say this is a good deal or would there be something out there of better value. Ideally something that i can pair with the LOD to get better sound quality than simply the HP out would be nice for home listening to lossless music.

Thanks for any help, Michael.

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 12
Honestly, if it were me I'd be looking for something a bit more established. And I'd be searching the FS forums here or other audiophiles sites you may know of. Something like the Meier Audio Headsix or the iBasso T3 will clock in at around the $100 mark (not too much more than your eBay amp) and those aren't the only options. And the Meier and the iBasso are both pretty respected portable budget options around here.

I just think that you would get better value going with a product that's been well reviewed here, by a respected member, rather than taking a blind shot off eBay.

As far as a member to trust to direct your opinion; my first choice is usually Skylab and he's actually done an extensive review of portable amps. About 50 or so in one thread. I would check that out first and go from there.

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I say buy a Lisa III nothing like it...

I'd say that's a semi-portable...
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 12
You should browse the for sale forums on head-fi. You can get a lot of decent audio equipment for a fair price. If I were you, I wouldn't take a chance with the amp on ebay; I'd go for something more established that has more feedback from others. Especially since its hard to listen to equipment before you buy it, its really useful to read reviews/feedbacks from others.

I see a lot of people selling the portable mini^3 amp for around $100. I think the amp sounds really impressive for the price. I compared it with my nuforce icon mobile, and thought that the mini^3 was much better. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #8 of 12
Thank you all for the advice, i'm not against spending a little more if it would improve the sound quality. Also i was not really confident about buying off ebay other than he did have quite a few people giving positive feedback, but i would be more than happy to buy from someone on here.

I bought my ATH-M50 partly due to the strength of the reviews on here and tons of people saying they were happy with them and i was happy i made the purchase.

The main thing i was thinking before about not spending too much money is that, since i will not likely be using this with my laptop or anything just my iPod, would i be getting the most out of a more expensive amp or would it be a bit wasted on my setup.

My LOD is an iBasso so my eyes were drawn toward the T3 mentioned before but i will have a read around on the others you guys have suggested.

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 12
In my experience, the M50's benefit very little from amping (though you'd perhaps extend the battery life of your ipod since it would no longer be driving the headphones directly). You would perhaps change the sound signature, but wouldn't really improve it. If you want some crossfeed or bass boost, then get the cheapest option that offers that. If not, save your money until you move up to headphones that benefit more from amping.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
In my experience, the M50's benefit very little from amping (though you'd perhaps extend the battery life of your ipod since it would no longer be driving the headphones directly). You would perhaps change the sound signature, but wouldn't really improve it. If you want some crossfeed or bass boost, then get the cheapest option that offers that. If not, save your money until you move up to headphones that benefit more from amping.

Thanks for the advice, this would also mean that i would have to use them straight from the headphone out rather than using the LOD, would this not affect the sound greatly either, especially if i have lossless files on the ipod

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 12
Yeah...I would spend a few more bucks and get something that is known to be decent quality. Some of the iBassos in the lower price range for example. Good luck...

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 12
The LOD does not improve sound quality. It merely bypasses the internal amplifier of the ipod, so that music may go straight from the ipod's dac into an external amplifier (which is presumably of better quality than the ipod's). The fact that you have lossless files has no bearing on whether you should use a LOD.

As I mentioned earlier though, the M50s do not improve appreciably with amping, so you might as well just use the ipod's built-in amp and not carry an extra piece of hardware around. The LOD will still be handy for hooking up to a home system or for when you eventually move along the upgrade path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back