Is this a real Grado SR325is?
Jan 8, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #121 of 158

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
well, my local dealer offered me $250 for a new pair of grado sr325is' (brushed aluminum) or $160 for a pair of 225i's, what ya guys think?

James

I had the 225i for a short time and decided that I preferred the 325is overall.  The 325is stayed and the 225i went on ebay.  I don't think the 325is is too bright at all.  I like the sparkle and clarity I get from these cans, so what might seem bright for some is perfect for me.  I was thinking about getting the Magnum upgrade for my 325is, but I really enjoy the sound as is, and I don't want to mess with it.  Besides, there's nothing good old fashioned EQ can't tweak. 

just got my 325is' chromies from amazon today, the chrome REALLY grows on you...and i agree, the clarity and sparkle is really attractive as well, no issues with shrillness here

Awesome.  Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions after you've run them in for a while.  For me these cans sound best coming from warm analog sources.  Happy listening, bro.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #122 of 158
Well, I returned my chrome MS-2's and picked up a pair of brushed aluminum MS-2's from a fellow Head-Fi'er.  I'm really happy I did so because these have been upgraded with the Magnum V2 drivers and full aluminum chambers. 

I've only owned Ety ER-4p's for the past three years and no nice headphones, so these are essentially my first real pair of nice headphones.

They came with two pairs of pads, I bought a pair of yellow 414 pads so I've been able to play around with the differences between the pad/mods. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #123 of 158

Quote:
Well, I returned my chrome MS-2's and picked up a pair of brushed aluminum MS-2's from a fellow Head-Fi'er.  I'm really happy I did so because these have been upgraded with the Magnum V2 drivers and full aluminum chambers. 

Parlophone- how did the sound signature of the MS2i's change before/after Magnum'ing them?

I'm thinking about doing a pair of SR125i's.  I like my MS2i's too much to mess with them.  :)

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #124 of 158

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
well, my local dealer offered me $250 for a new pair of grado sr325is' (brushed aluminum) or $160 for a pair of 225i's, what ya guys think?

James

I had the 225i for a short time and decided that I preferred the 325is overall.  The 325is stayed and the 225i went on ebay.  I don't think the 325is is too bright at all.  I like the sparkle and clarity I get from these cans, so what might seem bright for some is perfect for me.  I was thinking about getting the Magnum upgrade for my 325is, but I really enjoy the sound as is, and I don't want to mess with it.  Besides, there's nothing good old fashioned EQ can't tweak. 

just got my 325is' chromies from amazon today, the chrome REALLY grows on you...and i agree, the clarity and sparkle is really attractive as well, no issues with shrillness here

I'm actually glad I kept my chromies! They get the most use now compared to the rest of my very humble collection. ALTHOUGH I was really tempted to pick up that $190 goldies yesterday and return mine... Didn't feel like going through that trouble/already happy with what I have 
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #126 of 158

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

James

I'm actually glad I kept my chromies! They get the most use now compared to the rest of my very humble collection. ALTHOUGH I was really tempted to pick up that $190 goldies yesterday and return mine... Didn't feel like going through that trouble/already happy with what I have 
tongue.gif

same here....

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #127 of 158

Quote:

Quote:

Parlophone- how did the sound signature of the MS2i's change before/after Magnum'ing them?

I'm thinking about doing a pair of SR125i's.  I like my MS2i's too much to mess with them.  :)

I read the entire 10,000+ page thread (a bit of an exaggeration) regarding the Magnum upgrade.  In the end I decided that I didn't want to mess with the sound signature of the 325is.  It brings me plenty joy as is.  I figure if I want my 325is to sound like another HP in the Grado line-up, well then I should just buy those instead. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #128 of 158

Quote:
 I figure if I want my 325is to sound like another HP in the Grado line-up, well then I should just buy those instead. 

Actually that's the whole idea about the Magnum upgrade. There isn't another Grado that has the same construction or even the same drivers.

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #129 of 158

Quote:
Quote:
 I figure if I want my 325is to sound like another HP in the Grado line-up, well then I should just buy those instead. 

Actually that's the whole idea about the Magnum upgrade. There isn't another Grado that has the same construction or even the same drivers.

True, but other than construction and v2 drivers, wasn't the idea also to produce a reference quality sound signature akin to the HP-1000?  Or was that all speculation?  I realize those are rare and very expensive in the used market. 
blink.gif
   I read the thread a while back and it sort of drifted off into a discussion about manufacturing and shipping reliability, so I don't recall if there was ever a definitive A/B comparison between the stock cans and the Magnums.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still fascinated with the Magnum upgrade and have considered purchasing a second 325 or MS2 and give it a go. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #130 of 158

Quote:

True, but other than construction and v2 drivers, was it is to produce a reference quality sound signature akin to the HP-1000?  Or was that all speculation?  I realize those are rare and very expensive in the used market. 
blink.gif
   I read the thread a while back and it sort of drifted off into a discussion about manufacturing and shipping reliability, so I don't recall if there was ever a definitive A/B comparison between the stock cans and the Magnums.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still fascinated with the Magnum upgrade and have considered purchasing a second 325 or MS2 and give it a go. 

We need someone who has two pair of 325s and Magnum mod one of them to do that A/B comparison. Maybe you can be the first one.
wink.gif

It seems also that Rhydon himself is the only person who has compared them to the HP1000. I do have a few pairs of HP1000 lying around the house so maybe I can be the guinea pig too.
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #131 of 158

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know.  Being only 1/2 way through the thread, there are a lot of comparisons to the stock SR325i's sound.  But I don't like the stock 325!!

But there are also quite a few comments about Magnums being the "most neutral" Grado too.  That, I like.  But yes, there seems to be a lack of before/after, or, Magnum vs stock A/B comparisons of the same exact model.

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #132 of 158

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know.  Being only 1/2 way through the thread, there are a lot of comparisons to the stock SR325i's sound.  But I don't like the stock 325!!

But there are also quite a few comments about Magnums being the "most neutral" Grado too.  That, I like.  But yes, there seems to be a lack of before/after, or, Magnum vs stock A/B comparisons of the same exact model.

"most neutral" meaning no more forward midrange and sparkly highs?  I love the sound of the stock 325 and can't fathom the thought of them suddenly becoming boring.  lol

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #133 of 158

Quote:
Quote:

True, but other than construction and v2 drivers, was it is to produce a reference quality sound signature akin to the HP-1000?  Or was that all speculation?  I realize those are rare and very expensive in the used market. 
blink.gif

We need someone who has two pair of 325s and Magnum mod one of them to do that A/B comparison. Maybe you can be the first one.
wink.gif

It seems also that Rhydon himself is the only person who has compared them to the HP1000. I do have a few pairs of HP1000 lying around the house so maybe I can be the guinea pig too.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I can't really afford to put money into experimenting at the moment.  I'm thinking a month or two down the road if the money is right.  With that said, if I do end up with a Magnum upgrade I'd love an opportunity to compare them against the legendary HP-1000. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back