Is this a real Grado SR325is?
Dec 28, 2010 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 158

tr3vis324

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm a new member here (joined a couple days ago) and I need your help in determining the legitimacy of these 'phones. I purchased them a couple weeks ago from Shoreline Music at Amazon.com, and there's something different about the exterior. As you can see below, the aluminum that houses the drivers is much shinier and more reflective than the ones that are in the picture I found online. 

(Online)

(What I have)

At first I thought these were either 325 or 325i, not 325is, but when I looked them up on Google they looked the same so the housing doesn't seem to have changed over the course of model improvement. In terms of sound--although I'm very new to the world of audiophilia (that just sounds weird, correct me if I should use another word)--these cans sounded superior to my Sony MDR-XB700, and they came in a sealed box, so they're probably real, although I can't be sure. Maybe I'm overreacting to something really small that I don't know about, but please help me out! I'm a noob :p Thanks.

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 158

Quote:
Hi,

I'm a new member here (joined a couple days ago) and I need your help in determining the legitimacy of these 'phones. I purchased them a couple weeks ago from Shoreline Music at Amazon.com, and there's something different about the exterior. As you can see below, the aluminum that houses the drivers is much shinier and more reflective than the ones that are in the picture I found online. 

(Online)

(What I have)

At first I thought these were either 325 or 325i, not 325is, but when I looked them up on Google they looked the same so the housing doesn't seem to have changed over the course of model improvement. In terms of sound--although I'm very new to the world of audiophilia (that just sounds weird, correct me if I should use another word)--these cans sounded superior to my Sony MDR-XB700, and they came in a sealed box, so they're probably real, although I can't be sure. Maybe I'm overreacting to something really small that I don't know about, but please help me out! I'm a noob :p Thanks.

woah...those are some shiny housings, do they actually look like that in real life, or is it just the pics? looks like it came out of a car bumper factory, is it possible that the 3rd party seller rechromed them, gave them more "bling blong"? everything else checks out, the thick cabling, the lettering, but the housing is way too shiny

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 158
The news ones are chrome instead of brushed aluminum. They're real.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 158

Quote:

really.........................why would grado do such a thing.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 158

Quote:
Quote:

my thoughts exactly...imagine doing the same to a rerun of the 325is (goldies) they'll look like something 50 cent would put on the center of his hubcaps

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 158

Quote:
x2

Quote:

email reply from grado to kkennally 

Just got an e-mail back from Grado....

[size=small]Hi K[size=small]evin
 you have the most recent 325is that we make.

Thanks for choosing grado.[/size]
[/size]

not a fan of the new looks...

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 158
My understanding is that it's cheaper to chrome them rather than have the brushed aluminum, and it produces more consistent results. I don't like them either. I am glad my Grado dealer had one set of old ones left, the goldies.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 158

Quote:
My understanding is that it's cheaper to chrome them rather than have the brushed aluminum, and it produces more consistent results.

and less enviromentally friendly, the chroming process isn't exactly something very clean, not to mention worse results even if it is more consistent, wonder if they'll give the ps1000 the same treatment...hmmm

who am i kidding, i don;t care about the enviroment in this case, the new look really upsets me, that's all

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 158

Quote:
woah...those are some shiny housings, do they actually look like that in real life, or is it just the pics? looks like it came out of a car bumper factory, is it possible that the 3rd party seller rechromed them, gave them more "bling blong"? everything else checks out, the thick cabling, the lettering, but the housing is way too shiny

(Wow that was really fast response, thanks guys) They really do look like that in real life--although the flash from my macbook probably added to that "bling blong"

Quote:
Quote:

I was really hoping for the brushed aluminum housing because of its rugged look. Shame on Grado, but glad to hear they're real :)

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 158

Quote:
and less enviromentally friendly, the chroming process isn't exactly something very clean, not to mention worse results even if it is more consistent, wonder if they'll give the ps1000 the same treatment...hmmm

My first thought when I saw the new finish on the 325is was that the PS1000 is probably going to get the same treatment.  I know folks have complained about inconsistent finish on the PS1000.  The PS1000 gets some hand buffing but it's still not as consistent and perfect as some folks expect for $1700 headphones.  So a chromed and polished PS1000 with bling might be in process.

I've not seen the new 325is in person yet.  I do like the brushed finish on my 325is even if it is slightly inconsistent and shows some tooling marks.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #14 of 158

Quote:

Quote:

(Wow that was really fast response, thanks guys) They really do look like that in real life--although the flash from my macbook probably added to that "bling blong"

Quote:
Quote:

I was really hoping for the brushed aluminum housing because of its rugged look. Shame on Grado, but glad to hear they're real :)

well, maybe you could still return them and ask for a brushed housing version if they're still in stock

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 158

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

probably more rugged as well along with better looking IMO...chrome wears awfully compared to brushed metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back