Is this a real cmoybb?
Mar 28, 2013 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

thesuperguy

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking for a cmoybb on craigslist and found one for a very nice price of $40. However, I question if it is actually legitimate because there do seem to be a few differences between the sellers pictures and the pictures on the JDS labs website. This is most likely a DIY and would probably work just like the official cmoybb but I would like confirmation just in case.

3K63L63H25N95G65K2d3e0de4c2049aa4197b.jpg

FYI, the seller does mention that there is a small switch inside that boosts bass response as well as an additional circuit that allows the battery to be charged with a wall adapter, or for the whole unit to be powered with it, with no battery in place.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 17
looks legit to me.  The charge + battery monitoring circuit is a nice addition.  Looks like a nice amp.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
Great! There doesn't seem to be that little indicator light though. Oh and since they pretty much match, was this board bought from JDS?

you mean the LED?  It looks like they used a smaller 3mm green LED in a black LED holder.  The pic I posted looks like a 5mm LED and no holder.  At any rate its a legit moyBB.

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
I was looking for a cmoybb on craigslist and found one for a very nice price of $40. However, I question if it is actually legitimate because there do seem to be a few differences between the sellers pictures and the pictures on the JDS labs website. This is most likely a DIY and would probably work just like the official cmoybb but I would like confirmation just in case.

3K63L63H25N95G65K2d3e0de4c2049aa4197b.jpg

FYI, the seller does mention that there is a small switch inside that boosts bass response as well as an additional circuit that allows the battery to be charged with a wall adapter, or for the whole unit to be powered with it, with no battery in place.

That's a very old cMoyBB w/discontinued charging adapter.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 17
I wish I knew more about my Cmoy amp (who made it etc)

It looks like a Penguin Royal but doesnt have the signature board
http://www.penguinamp.com/The-Royal-Amp:::2001.html

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #11 of 17
Pretty sure thats a penguinamp, just an earlier/older rendition of the design.

Chu Moy is credited with the original design.  heres the tangentsoft site.

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
I wish I knew more about my Cmoy amp (who made it etc)

It looks like a Penguin Royal but doesnt have the signature board
http://www.penguinamp.com/The-Royal-Amp:::2001.html

That is the model before Royal. It is based on LM6172 instead of AD8397. It was referred as the original 'Penguin Amp' on eBay at the time, made by Robert @ Headstage.

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #15 of 17
Have a quick "normal or not normal" question on my JDS cmoybb.

When I turn it off (still connected to Schitt Modi DAC), there is slight buzzing sound in my headphones. The sound persists - it's not transient.

No sound at all when the switch is on but at low volume.

Running off mains power (non-rechargeable version).

Any help appreciated - thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back