Is there really such a thing as a non - colored headphone ( are the HD800's/K702's immune )
Aug 31, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #61 of 129
  your body and head make a difference because you tend to have them all your life. ^_^  your brain learned everything like that. it doesn't know what real sound is, it never heard it. what it heard all your life is real sound changed by your own HRTF. when you use the headphone you bypass part of it.

I think this "real sound"   is actually what is entering into our ears whether you think it real or not. If a sound wave exists in physical reality, then even if it's shaped by our own body, it is still real sound .  Just slightly different by the time it reaches our eardrum. My point being that it's still real world sound, so should be considered so.
The body is a mechanical device, just like an amplifier. An amp carry's an audio signal and interprets it mechanically...so do wee. I firmly trust that god designed man to interpret his reality mechanically, True to source, and that the sound we hear would be very much the same manner if we had noses for ears. Ohh and this is my own explanation
( just incase your wondering).

Aug 31, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #62 of 129

The body is a mechanical device, just like an amplifier. An amp carry's an audio signal and interprets it mechanically...so do wee. I firmly trust that god designed man to interpret his reality mechanically, True to source, and that the sound we hear is indeed the same as if we could hear without ears. Ohh and this is my own explanation ( just incase your wondering).

Except well-designed amps leave the signal flat as it leaves; our ears most certainly do not. Also: "trust that god"? It's Sound Science, man. We do things Clockwork Orange style:

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #63 of 129

Here are my custom built DIY ear defender - headphones. They eliminate 99% of external interference and are unique to the geometry of my head/ears. The driver is also a paper/cone diaphragm so the sound waves entering my ears are completely natural. Furthermore i can modify the sound waves naturally without modifiying them digitally. I can decide on my own dampening material and so on...
This is the best fix available to the "external environment/body shape/ear shape" problem some of us rightly frustrate at. Before i get someone telling me otherwise, bear in mind that you are talking to someone with the knowledge required to build a headphone from scratch. Heck if i wanted to, i could be the next Mr Speakers lol

Have you ever taken the ear pads and mounts off your AKG 702s? The k701s have foam rings thin as paper almost.

It is said that the k701s have two editions, early editions with two pieces of foam and later early editions with only one layer of foam.

Just for fun I screwed off the mounts and pads and removed that thin grey ring of foam they have centered right behind that layer of silk like cloth close to your ear.

The AKGs have very little bass with the grey ring removed. It changes the sound dramaticly.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #64 of 129

Except well-designed amps leave the signal flat as it leaves; our ears most certainly do not. Also: "trust that god"? It's Sound Science, man. We do things Clockwork Orange style:

My point essentialy is - shouldn't we let nature do its thing and leave it as is?....or maybe not?

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #66 of 129
Have you ever taken the ear pads and mounts off your AKG 702s? The k701s have foam rings thin as paper almost.

It is said that the k701s have two editions, early editions with two pieces of foam and later early editions with only one layer of foam.

Just for fun I screwed off the mounts and pads and removed that thin grey ring of foam they have centered right behind that layer of silk like cloth close to your ear.

The AKGs have very little bass with the grey ring removed. It changes the sound dramaticly.

The AKG's are ( IMO) one of the finest headphones ever made. I owned the original model ( the one made in Austria). I pulled it apart last year to investigate the secret to their trademark sound signature as i decided after 5 years of use, to replace them with a newer pair. If memory serves me correct, it was very thin foam indeed. Sadly, the same quality build cannot be said for them now being made in China. Although they did fix the uncomfortable headband. It's flat now. Sometimes those rings around the earpads/drivers are actually there to enhance certain frequencies. You see it with the more pricey Denon headphones, removing my them from my Denon ah-d5000's completely alter's the trademark sound signature.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #67 of 129

I'd say the outcome of equalization is a large improvement over no equalization. Now we both have an equally citable source.

I agree...

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #68 of 129
  The AKG's are ( IMO) one of the finest headphones ever made. I owned the original model ( the one made in Austria). I pulled it apart last year to investigate the secret to their trademark sound signature as i decided after 5 years of use, to replace them with a newer pair. If memory serves me correct, it was very thin foam indeed. Sadly, the same quality build cannot be said for them now being made in China. Although they did fix the uncomfortable headband. It's flat now. Sometimes those rings around the earpads/drivers are actually there to enhance certain frequencies. You see it with the more pricey Denon headphones, removing my them from my Denon ah-d5000's completely alter's the trademark sound signature.

I meant to mention that i think the current crop of Akg K702's have a tiny bit more bass to them. But then can't be absolutely certain as i cant to a side by side comparison.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #69 of 129

I have done mods on only one headphone. Still momentarily taking the foam out just shows how so many very small factors result in huge signature changes. Yes, I own two stock editions of the k701s made in Austria. I may do the bass mod on one pair.

The biggest learning curve for me was their scalability with amps. I actually purchased my W5 LE just to see what it would do to the AKGs.

It's surprising how unpopular the AKG lower line in here at Head-FI. You can totally tell AKG was trying to make a mini k701 when they introduced the AKG k512mk 2. They took their house sound and made it low cost. You can buy a pair right now on Amazon for under $40 usd.

Even those elcheapo level AKGs scale up with better and better amps, showing the genius of AKG designs in headphones. IMO

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #70 of 129
  My point essentialy is - shouldn't we let nature do its thing and leave it as is?....or maybe not?

Nature doesn't typically put our ears in enclosures with transducers in them. All natural bets are off when we start mucking with things; it then is on us to make things work right.

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #71 of 129
I have done mods on only one headphone. Still momentarily taking the foam out just shows how so many very small factors result in huge signature changes. Yes, I own two stock editions of the k701s made in Austria. I may do the bass mod on one pair.

The biggest learning curve for me was their scalability with amps. I actually purchased my W5 LE just to see what it would do to the AKGs.

It's surprising how unpopular the AKG lower line in here at Head-FI. You can totally tell AKG was trying to make a mini k701 when they introduced the AKG k512mk 2. They took their house sound and made it low cost. You can buy a pair right now on Amazon for under $40 usd.

Even those elcheapo level AKGs scale up with better and better amps, showing the genius of AKG designs in headphones. IMO

Many people regard the AKG house sound to be a kind of goldilocks zone in headphones...

Aug 31, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #72 of 129

Nature doesn't typically put our ears in enclosures with transducers in them. All natural bets are off when we start mucking with things; it then is on us to make things work right.

Agreed

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #74 of 129
ok so you just hate digital for no rational reason, this is pure xenophobia against digital and nothing less.

what you say is false and you have zero evidence for your "ideas". just looking at the picture and seeing how asymmetrical the inside is, it's pretty safe to bet that you don't get a balanced response from left and right. but I guess that's the "natural" you're talking about...
you can deal with sound on the electrical level digitally, or in the analogue domain, you can deal with the sound acoustically(I wouldn't think you go make your driver yourself so I'll leave that part out), all methods are ok really, when done right. I've been changing the damping filters in my IEMs since a few years back to get etymotics a little less bright. it's easy, and we can mostly trust the change to be the same because those filters are well made and not by me^_^.  IDK how you go at it, so I can't tell how that sounds, but I certainly hope you have a microphone of sort to check a few things.
you apparently don't know how digital signal works and is modified(else you wouldn't talk like you do about it), and you obviously don't understand what we explained about the body bouncing back the sound and the interest of knowing one's own HRTF. and you keep pretending like researched data on the subject that is the basis for audio nowadays, is just an opinion, so yours has the same value. nope! it does not! it's not a talk about philosophy, but about real life and air waves traveling. it's not really a new domain of science that started last month, you having a different opinion than what's been repeatably measured is what we call "being wrong" in our lingo.

show me data about digital EQ's precision and the magnitude of what it does wrong that some analog modification would have. show me data about vinyl being better at reproducing sound than CD.
I can't wait to actually start learning something from you instead of reading urban legends.

Aug 31, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #75 of 129
  ok so you just hate digital for no rational reason, this is pure xenophobia against digital and nothing less.

what you say is false and you have zero evidence for your "ideas". just looking at the picture and seeing how asymmetrical the inside is, it's pretty safe to bet that you don't get a balanced response from left and right. but I guess that's the "natural" you're talking about...
you can deal with sound on the electrical level digitally, or in the analogue domain, you can deal with the sound acoustically(I wouldn't think you go make your driver yourself so I'll leave that part out), all methods are ok really, when done right. I've been changing the damping filters in my IEMs since a few years back to get etymotics a little less bright. it's easy, and we can mostly trust the change to be the same because those filters are well made and not by me^_^.  IDK how you go at it, so I can't tell how that sounds, but I certainly hope you have a microphone of sort to check a few things.
you apparently don't know how digital signal works and is modified(else you wouldn't talk like you do about it), and you obviously don't understand what we explained about the body bouncing back the sound and the interest of knowing one's own HRTF. and you keep pretending like researched data on the subject that is the basis for audio nowadays, is just an opinion, so yours has the same value. nope! it does not! it's not a talk about philosophy, but about real life and air waves traveling. it's not really a new domain of science that started last month, you having a different opinion than what's been repeatably measured is what we call "being wrong" in our lingo.

show me data about digital EQ's precision and the magnitude of what it does wrong that some analog modification would have. show me data about vinyl being better at reproducing sound than CD.
I can't wait to actually start learning something from you instead of reading urban legends.

You clearly dont understand the difference between the origins of digital technology and analog technology. It's as though you think they are one and the same.
This is not a dig, i respect absolutely everything you say, but do you understand Sound Pressure Level??? my gues is no:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure

Sound pressure level is what comes into play when i use my ear defenders to listen to the undisturbed sound waves from the drivers, so close to my ears that the external ear shape has minimal influence on the outcome of the sound. With the aid of altered SPL due to the ear defenders, the waves just fire straight through to the tiny hairs near my inner eardrum, unaffected. Again please, please dont take this personally...but i think there is much you either refuse to accept, or really dont understand.
Also, i sense a little bit of disrespect on your part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back