is there a reason why i should try an amp?
Sep 16, 2011 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vincedea

Head-Fier
so i plan on getting the m3 or the re0. i will be using the iems with iphone or my ipod touch.  i was contemplating if i should see if there is any use of having an amp. the amp i was thinking of getting was the e11. and since this would be the first time i would be using an amp im not sure what the use is for lol.  what do you guys think? is there any reason why i should try out an amp?

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 13
Get a line-out dock (i.e. Fiio L3) along with the amplifier.  You insert the dock into the ipod and then connect the other end of the cable to the amp, and so you use the line-out instead of the headphone out.  You get better sound that way in addition to the amp itself bringing out a bit more of RE0's potential.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Get a line-out dock (i.e. Fiio L3) along with the amplifier.  You insert the dock into the ipod and then connect the other end of the cable to the amp, and so you use the line-out instead of the headphone out.  You get better sound that way in addition to the amp itself bringing out a bit more of RE0's potential.

ok so i hook that fiio l3 to the e11 and my headphones to the e11? will adding an amp really make a difference in listening of music? if it does i will no doubt get one to try lol.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 13
If you don't have your player's volume turned up past 50%, there's not much use for an amp. Even then it would only matter if you're getting audible clipping and distortion, or you have quiet songs that need more headroom than you're getting.

I still don't know why an uncolored amp would make a real difference if there's enough power available without one.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 13
The only reason I can see getting an amp for those IEMs, more specifically the RE0, is for the bass boost.  Otherwise, I doubt amping either of them will make much of a difference at all...you'd have to listen really, really hard to find any difference whatsoever between them amped and unamped.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 13
Part of the point is to use the player's "line-out".  Also,

Quote:
I still don't know why an uncolored amp would make a real difference if there's enough power available without one.

Oh boy, here we go again.  Gotta love this forum.
deadhorse.gif

men_laughing.gif

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Oh boy, here we go again.  Gotta love this forum.
deadhorse.gif

men_laughing.gif

I put that statement there to avoid vague stuff like "It's not about volume!" or "brings out potential", not necessarily to demand information. Keeps misleading subjective impressions out, since they'll be different for everyone 
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 13
Amping will only have a dramatic impact on SQ on larger headphones (especially circumaurals) because a good deal of imaging is present in larger cans, which allows you to notice very subtle differences (and changes, if you amp / DAC as opposed to vanilla) in sound quality.

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 13
which iem would benefit more from using an amp? i used to have a pair of m3 but my gf smashed them. and i read alot from here that the re0 are also really good but dont have a lot of bass in them. so which one should i get that would benefit more from an amp? will be ordering these 2 things in a week or so after i get my audioengine a5 :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back