Is there a portable version of the HD650?
Sep 25, 2010 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Prefectionist

New Head-Fier
Is there a pair of headphones that has the same sound as the HD650 but smaller and more portable?

Edit: I'm not looking for in-ears and I'm looking for high-end 'phones (around 200-250 US)

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 18
I think the closest you will find to that is the IE8 unfortunately. It's an IEM not a headphone. But it would be portable
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 18
koss portapro anyone?
bass heavy, rolled off highs.

i've never heard the hd650...
but give the $40 portapros a try.  it's a pretty low risk investment.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 18
What about the PX100's? I remember my pair sounded like the HD650's when I still had them.

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 18
I imagine the HD-650 to sound more like the Porta Pro and the KSC75 more like the HD-600!

If you don't like the KSC75 clips you can get a headband for $2 or so from Parts Express.

I prefer the KSC75 over the Porta Pro because they're much brighter and have the Titanium drivers.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 18
Hey thanks everyone, I appreciate the input, but I don't want in-ears and I'm not looking for low-end headphones. My mistake, I should've included this in my first post. I want high-end (to me that's about 200-250 US) headphones.

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Hey thanks everyone, I appreciate the input, but I don't want in-ears and I'm not looking for low-end headphones. My mistake, I should've included this in my first post. I want high-end (to me that's about 200-250 US) headphones.

You really should try the cheaper products before coming to a conclusion. It's all subjective i.e. why knock something down just based on price? As long as it suits the bill re: what you want, then it shouldn't matter what it costs as long you are happy with the sound. Then again, if price is a requirement, then by all means I suppose
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 18
Well, I already know what sound signature I like. And I don't want to get bitten by the upgrade bug. I'm not wrong to assume or expect that a more expensive product is going to be better, right? I doubt Porta Pros or PX100s will sound more similar in all aspects to the HD650 than a more expensive pair of 'phones.

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Well, I already know what sound signature I like. And I don't want to get bitten by the upgrade bug. I'm not wrong to assume or expect that a more expensive product is going to be better, right? I doubt Porta Pros or PX100s will sound more similar in all aspects to the HD650 than a more expensive pair of 'phones.

In theory, you might be correct (and we'd all like to believe so), but it doesn't mean that a lower cost product will not give you the sound signature you like. I don't wanna detract from the purpose of your thread, but I just don't feel that it is sound logic to pursue the course you are looking at. There are many people on the boards here who prefer a cheaper earphone in comparison to the IE8s I have; and I myself don't like another IEM that is significantly more expensive than the ones I currently use albeit the fact that they are technically better. If the lower cost product gives you the sound signature you life, you end up with savings and that could go into paying for something else, e.g. bills. I have no experience with the Porta Pros and PX100s. I just don't agree with the logic that because something is more expensive, they will be better. No offence by the way
smile_phones.gif

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
In theory, you might be correct (and we'd all like to believe so), but it doesn't mean that a lower cost product will not give you the sound signature you like. I don't wanna detract from the purpose of your thread, but I just don't feel that it is sound logic to pursue the course you are looking at. There are many people on the boards here who prefer a cheaper earphone in comparison to the IE8s I have; and I myself don't like another IEM that is significantly more expensive than the ones I currently use albeit the fact that they are technically better. If the lower cost product gives you the sound signature you life, you end up with savings and that could go into paying for something else, e.g. bills. I have no experience with the Porta Pros and PX100s. I just don't agree with the logic that because something is more expensive, they will be better. No offence by the way
smile_phones.gif

Oh, no offense taken. I think I came off the wrong way
regular_smile .gif
. No, I don't think that a higher price necessarily means it's better, I agree with you. When I wrote that post I was thinking about the technical capabilities of the headphones. Sure the Porta Pros or PX100s may have the same signature, but they're definitely technically inferior.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 18
Hey don't mean to derail the topic, but am I correct in hearing that the HD650s sound sig is good bass, smooth mids, and smooth highs? I'm searching for portables myself and I think the HD650s have the type of sound I'm looking for.

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 18
I would consider the Yuin G1a. while not exactly like the HD650 they do have some similar traits. Namely the smooooothness of the treble. I'd happily give up a little bass for nice smooth treble.

Quote:
 Sure the Porta Pros or PX100s may have the same signature, but they're definitely technically inferior.

If they have the same sound signature how are they inferior? If they sound the same (well they dont) they sound the same.

I disagree that the porta pros sound similar to the HD650. They have their own sound, but not the same as the 650's. I dont have any experience with the PX100 so i dunno about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back