Is there a list somewhere of existing DIY headphone amp plans?
Jun 13, 2023 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

some dude

Head-Fier
I’m interested in possibly building my own tube amp. It doesn’t need to be very powerful since my headphones are very easy to drive but it needs to have a big tube sound.

Maybe something with a 300b but not necessarily.

Preferably something that isn’t hideous.

Preferably would like too keep the cost near $1000 if possible.

It would need to be a reasonable upgrade from a Felix Elise mk2 since I could buy a used one of those kinda near my budget.

If you have any suggestions or a place with a list of different builds please let me know.

Jun 14, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 16
Have you built a schiit coaster (vali mini i think)?

Probably not of the quality level that you are looking for, but might provide basic ideas and a starting point. Plus they come in a 4-pack! Build one stock, tweak one, leave another unbuilt for reference.. they seem decently well-discussed online so if I was looking for a starting point it is probably what I would go for.

Also, it is cheap enough that it might be worth it simply for fun!

Jun 14, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 16
what headphones BTW? you mention easy to drive but that was all, assuming they DD?
No they HiFiman he1000se. 35 ohm 96db sensitivity.

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 16
I'd likely recommend you double the budget for a 300B amp.

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 16
I'd likely recommend you double the budget for a 300B amp.
Perhaps your right. I am unfamiliar with the costs of building your own amp from scratch. I had assumed it would be reasonably cheaper than purchasing prebuilt amps but perhaps the cost savings is not as significant as I would have expected especially compared to buying used prebuilt amps.

I believe have the technical skills and ability to build an amp and am willing to do so if it proves to be significantly advantageous economically over buying a used amp. However at the end of the day I am primarily only concerned about achieving the best possible sound within my financial constraints. I’m fairly deep into it already with a pair of he1000se, Chord mojo 2, and a woo wa7 with tube psu but I kinda want to replace the wa7 with something that has a stronger tube sound. Not that the wa7 doesn’t sound great it does but so does the mojo and I’m just looking to create a wider separation between my 2 available sound profiles if that makes enough sense.

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 16
Perhaps your right. I am unfamiliar with the costs of building your own amp from scratch. I had assumed it would be reasonably cheaper than purchasing prebuilt amps but perhaps the cost savings is not as significant as I would have expected especially compared to buying used prebuilt amps.

I believe have the technical skills and ability to build an amp and am willing to do so if it proves to be significantly advantageous economically over buying a used amp. However at the end of the day I am primarily only concerned about achieving the best possible sound within my financial constraints. I’m fairly deep into it already with a pair of he1000se, Chord mojo 2, and a woo wa7 with tube psu but I kinda want to replace the wa7 with something that has a stronger tube sound. Not that the wa7 doesn’t sound great it does but so does the mojo and I’m just looking to create a wider separation between my 2 available sound profiles if that makes enough sense.
The bigger DHT amps aren't so cheap. My vote goes for the DG300B.

Jun 14, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 16
Jun 14, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 16

If your budget becomes $2k, then there is an extensively documented DIY project in this forum thread.

Jun 14, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 16
Jun 14, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 16
It's not impossible to build a 300b amp for under 1K. You will have to put in more work, but it is doable.

Antek and edcor are your friend. Doing some rough math here I am coming up with 400 bucks for your power transformer, choke, output transformers, and filament transformers.

You can find a pair of Chinese 300bs for about 150 and you would need a pair of rod coleman regulators to keep the 300bs quiet for headphone use. Figure 50 bucks per tube for the regulators and their associated components.

That leaves you 350 bucks for chassis, preamp tubes, sockets, caps, etc. If you have tools to make a simple wood base and you use a send cut send to make you a metal top plate, you could easily be at or below your 1K price point.

Jun 14, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #14 of 16
It's not impossible to build a 300b amp for under 1K. You will have to put in more work, but it is doable.

Antek and edcor are your friend. Doing some rough math here I am coming up with 400 bucks for your power transformer, choke, output transformers, and filament transformers.

You can find a pair of Chinese 300bs for about 150 and you would need a pair of rod coleman regulators to keep the 300bs quiet for headphone use. Figure 50 bucks per tube for the regulators and their associated components.

That leaves you 350 bucks for chassis, preamp tubes, sockets, caps, etc. If you have tools to make a simple wood base and you use a send cut send to make you a metal top plate, you could easily be at or below your 1K price point.
Thank you that is pretty useful information. I will definitely look into it.

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #15 of 16
It is a common trope that DIY is cheaper than buying and if that is your main reason; I suggest you buy a used amp; as in many cases it simply isnt true, especially if you dont have a good workshop already. its a terrible reason to get into DIY IMO, but at least you arent aiming for a super low distortion design without test gear. I will also suggest that perhaps most of what you attribute to 'tube sound' is actually transformer sound. Have you heard 'strong tube sound' to be able to recognise it? your 'preferably isnt hideous' requirement depends on your skills and workshop; otherwise this requirement alone can increase your budget significantly for things that have no benefit to sound. definitely go for a well documented project, otherwise you may find your budget going very far north, chasing mods etc. I realise i'm a bit late, but I will just pile on and stick with the Aegis recommendation above, as chassis requirements are reasonably simple, without complex power supply, or expensive custom transformers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back