Is there a DAC with a good headphone amp?
Dec 18, 2008 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

8140david

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a DAC with a good, integrated headphone amp.
Any ideas?

I want to be able to listen to the music from my laptop:
- using my Cambridge 640A amplifier and Triangles loudspeakers (a lot of my music is not on CDs...)
- or using Beyer DT-880 250 Ohms headphones (which I should receive soon...)

I don't have a headphone amp at the moment. That's why I am wondering whether there is a DAC that has a good, integrated headphone amp?

What about the DAC Citypulse DA2.03eII ?
Any impression concerning its headphone amp?

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 28
I have heard that the benchmark DAC1 has a really great headamp component, but it is very pricey. What is your budget?

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 28
Thanks.
200 euros would be best.
500 euros would be the most (and require good reasons).
So the Benchmark is much too expensive for me (the USB version is at 1000 euros in France).

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 28
I haven't really found a dac with a good headphone output in any price range. I think the closest is the Pico dac/amp but even there the amp is the limiting reagent.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 28
When I was running computer-as-source, I had a PreSonus Central Station that I really liked. It has a nice, upsampling DAC and a fairly powerful solid state amp built in. Actually, it has two separate headphone amps, with separate volume controls. The other major benefit is a nice relay-based volume control. Relay controls are better than the resistive potentiometers usually found in audio gear, so to get all three in one package is a deal.

I believe that PreSonus distributes internationally, so you shouldn't have any trouble buying one locally with an appropriate power supply. I paid $400 USD for one about three years ago. Checking the US eBay, you can get a refurb for $459 USD. Not bad considering what it does.

I haven't seen any of the threads bumped lately, but a number of people here bought them a few years back and there are plenty of impressions. If I recall, it did well in an amp shootout.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was running computer-as-source, I had a PreSonus Central Station that I really liked. It has a nice, upsampling DAC and a fairly powerful solid state amp built in. Actually, it has two separate headphone amps, with separate volume controls. The other major benefit is a nice relay-based volume control. Relay controls are better than the resistive potentiometers usually found in audio gear, so to get all three in one package is a deal.

I believe that PreSonus distributes internationally, so you shouldn't have any trouble buying one locally with an appropriate power supply. I paid $400 USD for one about three years ago. Checking the US eBay, you can get a refurb for $459 USD. Not bad considering what it does.

I haven't seen any of the threads bumped lately, but a number of people here bought them a few years back and there are plenty of impressions. If I recall, it did well in an amp shootout.

How do you use USB with the CS?
I assume that is what the OP is asking for.

I agree though, the CS is a great value...I use mine everyday.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 28
If you can wait a month or two, we've hit up a small, obscure but interesting Chinese maker to create an inexpensive but good DAC/HP/Pre-amp as an alternative to an even cheaper and more popular Zero DAC, but hopefully without the problems the Zero has.

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 28
Other possibility, less practical (more cables): for less than 500 euros altogether, buy a DAC + a headphone amp. Any advice in that line?

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 28
Just get the amp separate. Better that way.

wtf6uggs9.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't really found a dac with a good headphone output in any price range. I think the closest is the Pico dac/amp but even there the amp is the limiting reagent.

No? I thought the Mieir products are rated highly as headphone amps and some of them have DACs.

Meier-Audio

[size=medium]CORDA 3MOVE[/size]
[size=x-small]€195,- / $260,- outside EU
€225,- inside EU
[/size]

[size=x-small]The CORDA 3MOVE is a small portable headphone amplifier that has the additional benefit of a crossfeed filter which makes headphone listening more natural and relaxing.
The amplifier also has a built-in DAC and can be directly connected to an USB-port of a computer. The sound quality of this DAC clearly surpasses that of standard quality soundcards.

Also, headroom sells some headphone amps with bult in DACs that are supposed to be decent.

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...al-bithead.php

[/size]
HeadRoom Total BitHead

Take a Total BitHead, plug it into the USB port on your computer, then plug the best headphones you’ve got into the Total BitHead, and BAM, knock-your-socks-off sound. Later, pack it up in a HeadRoom bag with your favorite portable player, and you’ve got one of the most aurally delightful portable audio systems on the planet. Think about it: a great back end for your computer and a sweet analog headphone amp to use with your portable player for only $159. Your ears will thank you.

HeadRoom Total BitHead In Stock $159.00

[size=x-small]
[/size]

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 28
The Meier's would be perfect, except that they don't have analog outputs, so that I can use them as a DAC between my laptop and my Cambridge 640A amplifier (to send the music on Triangles loudspeakers).

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 28
Their higher end ones do. Look for Corda Aria in the FS section. A guy was selling one just recently and I don't think he has a buyer yet.

You can still run to an amp on that one I listed by getting an adapter that takes headphone out from the headphone amp to RCA in on your amp.

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Their higher end ones do. Look for Corda Aria in the FS section. A guy was selling one just recently and I don't think he has a buyer yet.

You can still run to an amp on that one I listed by getting an adapter that takes headphone out from the headphone amp to RCA in on your amp.

And that will work fine? Ie the signal transmitted to my Cambridge amp will be good and can be sent from the amp to the loudspeakers with a good sound?

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 28
In general, NO!

There are a few exceptions - some nice amps may come with crappy DACs built in, guess that counts as "DAC with good headpphone amp".
wink.gif

I checked out the Zero DAC, Zhaolu DAC, Benchmark DAC1 (I call it's status "overratus supremus"), the headphone sections are all pretty bad (with the Zero/Zhaolu actually having a nicer headphone section than DAC1, if only it DIDN'T HAVE 3 ELECTROLYTIC COUPLING POINTS! I mean DAMN!).

I won't bother getting into portable DAC/Amp, my strong opinion on these is that they're not worth it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back