Is there a better portable amp/dac than the fiio e7 around that price point
Oct 4, 2011 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

touchmypenguin

New Head-Fier
My fiio e7 portable amp/dac stopped functioning yesterday after only a few months of use (will no longer power on, even after reset). Am i best purchasing another fiio e7 (amazons refunding me as they don't have stock) or is there a better portable amp/dac to go with my Denon ah-d2000 headphones.

I mostly use it with my pc with foobar and flac files, my tv's headphone output and my zen vision m mp3 player. It needs both a usb and 3.5mm input and at least one 3.5mm output.

Thanks in advance guys.

Oct 5, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
How about waiting for the new E10 which is due out very soon - possibly only days away? The iBasso DZero is also getting great reviews and is around $110

If your definition of 'days' is a number greater than 25, then you are bang on target:

This is the second preorder for the FiiO E10, purchases for this preorder 2 will ship early November, normal retail price when in stock is $84.50.

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/fiio-e10-usb-dac-amp-96k24bit-preorder-2-p-653.html

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I'll look into both, didn't realise there was a new model/replacement coming out, poss explains the stock issues. Cheers.

Note that E10 is NOT portable though (doesn't have a battery AFAIK).

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Note that E10 is NOT portable though (doesn't have a battery AFAIK).

Sweet Jesus - if Fiio's specs are to be believed, the E10 has to be connected via USB to work. OK, thats another one scratched off my list - things really are getting simpler.

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 8
I haven't seen all the specs but a lack of portability surely puts this well behind the E7. I won't be buying this amp for that reason and will wait for the E17 instead.

BTW Estreeter, once I solved some sound issues the HRT MSII/E9 combo which you recommended works exceptionally well with my files via Jriver MC16. Streaming music does have some digital artefacts as they don't run through JRiver (mores the pity).

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Interesting - I've heard varying reports on JRiver - the last set of unhappy campers claimed it was 'too buggy'. Chris Connaker over at Computer Audiophile is a huge fan - I may have to revisit the software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back