Is the USA really a Democracy??
Mar 2, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #61 of 79
Simplify it! Turn this into a yes/no poll.
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #62 of 79
COOLVIJ

Yes always interpret the things I say with a light heart (dont take offense) but this time i am serious. Intellectual slavery is SOCIETY. You cannot be trully free in a society of anykind. Your thoughts, your imagination, your dreams, your wildest most personal DREAMS are a direct result of your society... You may not be a slave PER SE but you are NOT, at all in total control of your mind. Your are programmed to behave, dress, drink, eat, sleep, go to work and be on time just like everyone else or within a certain comfort zone. INTELLECTUAL SLAVERY IS A FACT, you display your youthfull ignorance by pretending that your mind is your own property and not societies. You cannot, at anytime, create, with your mind, something that is not derived from that which you find around you, or in the very least derived from nature, or the physics that govern your own functioning.

Its funny, because the Human Mind exists on a totally different plane from reality, but it is also bound by reality, so it is that a person can concieve of total freedom, but NEVER really experience it in the context of the universe, and ESPECIALLY in the context of society. Whether in their minds or in their actions.

This is part of the duality of existence, you live with facts that restrict you but you try to fight them while accepting them just enough so that you can continue living, and thus live to fight that which you use to continue living. Sort of like biting the hand that feeds you, but its more like finding a hand that feeds you better.

And to coninue I mean in our own society, it's practically AGAINST the law to FEEL BAD. Evernotice that ****? I mean, your mother gets shot, but if you go on to long mourning her, YOUR MOTHER for gods sake, your ****ing sickly depressed and should be chemically revived. CHEMICALLY revived, as in you are given drugs which control your state of mind, which control your mind, which control you, which become you, and you lose your identity, and you are not you, you are some chemicaly induced body of happiness. WHY? Why chemically revive the sad and depressed, because first of all, as many people as their are in our modern society, WE HATE each other, so no one can get the emotional help they need, second of all, NEEDING emotional help is seen as WEAKNESS when IMO HUMAN LIFE IS DEFINED BY OUR HIGHER REASONING OF COMPLEX EMOTIONS. And sad people ARE NOT PRODUCTIVE. the meaning of the word capitalism probably has the word PRODUCTION in it somewhere... I love that a human being can be so saddened by loss that they would choose death over life. And because of that I love that people become that sad and then choose to live anyways.

Posted by Rickcr42

"you know eli,guys like you enjoy the lifestyle and then bitch about the means to attain it.

And we should turn Texas into a parking lot because of a couple of retards ?
And we should also allow a systematic destruction of our country by a poeple that has nothing better to do than blow **** up ? A global terrorist network with no goals other than our total destruction

Pathetic man.FKN pathetic.
Kinda like shooting your parents for giving you cable TV but you do not approve of their job
Get a life"

There are reasons why much of the world hates America. Much of it is jealousy IMO. But I will never say that killing people is the answer to killing. NEVER, no matter what you say about needing to defend the country. I WAS NOT SENT TO AMERICA, i was BORN HERE, I live and i will die here. That entitles me to the right to disagree with how things happen, your last statement is incredibly nearsighted IMO. If I were to appraoch that anology by boycotting everything that i did not agree with how it was attained, i would be eating rice and humice everyday, and I DONT WANT TO EAT RICE AND HUMICE EVERYDAY, i want to find A BETTER WAY TO GET STEAK on my table.

Mar 2, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #63 of 79
never one to condone killing,should never happen in a perfect world.
ANYONE ON THIS PLANET messes with my family and I will personally kill their ass dead.
And that is how nations view one another.
We are the only "mutt" nation on earth.The only place where after a couple of generations you could not claim one "heritage"
But go to another nation and you will find
Germans in Germany
Italians in Italy
Russians in Russia
Croats in Cratia
etc.
ALL with their own national pride.
With the diverse nature of our nation , you HAVE TO be right or the masses will not be behind you.
Seen it in the '70s
But piss us off and beware,and we are more often than not right.
How many nations on the planet win a war and do not occupy that nation ?
We make them trading partners

Mar 2, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #64 of 79
Quote:

Ok, so the war is supposed to be for peace? Oh, so now you can gain peace from death and destruction?

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

If the United States had stepped back and attempted to negotiate and tried to respect the very nations that helped the terrorists, we would simply be asking for more 9/11s - like we did after the '93 World Trade Center bombing, and USS Cole bombing.

This is not an ideological war, this is a basic war to destroy, yes destroy, our enemies and make sure that we can all sleep safely again. There are many instances when diplomacy works. However the plethora of meaningless peace documents from the PLO and our past reactions to terrorism show that in the Middle East, many do not respect peaceful diplomacy. In such a situation it is not only cowardly but also suicidal not to use force.

Ask Neville Chamberlain.

Great Britain and France constantly negotiated, and gave in to Hitler so that there may be peace in Europe. The policy of appeasement only succeeded in giving more power to Hitler. Even Hitler acknowledged that if France and England had taken a firm stance, backed with military might, against him when he had first marched into Rhineland(the demilitarized zone between France and Gernany after WW1) it, in his own words, "would have spelled collapse". They didn't and so they "fortfied his power, raising them to heights no German ruler of the past had ever enjoyed" (looked up The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich)

There is need for force. The armed forces do not exist solely to act as UN peacekeepers or to eat up the defence budget. The war on terrorism is focusing to destroy the foundations of terrorism, the governments that abet terrorism, along with the terrorists themselves.

I'm for it.

Quote:

Remember the Oklahoma City Bombing? I don't recall anybody declaring war on texas because of that act of terrorism from Timmothy McVay. He was given a trial (even though he still ended up dying from lethal injection).

Another difference is that the state government of Texas did not fund or encourage McVeigh. The people of Texas did not support McVeigh's actions. The governor of Texas was not buddies with the leader of McVeigh's militia. Texas's national guard did not consist of a large number of McVeigh's group. Attacking Texas would not have prevented another OKC bombing or considerably damaged McVeigh's militia.

Quote:

In my mind war in the biggest cowardist act that can happen.

Fending off ignorant sniping from both sides of the Atlantic, pushing through a sea of unfavorable international opinion and risking people(not missiles) in a potential media disaster that might suck public opinion away from the war anytime in order to preserve the safety of the US is not cowardly. I'd say it takes alot of political backbone.

Suddenly crashing unguarded airliners into buildings certainly is cowardly though, if that is what you meant. We aren't attacking terrorism, we are counterattacking it.

Mar 2, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #65 of 79
"ANYONE ON THIS PLANET messes with my family and I will personally kill their ass dead."

I feel that in me also, but still, i would have to ask why that person did what they did.

thats a good point abou tthe conquering, we could have conquered much of the world by now if we had wanted too. I cant even remember how many countries we have defeated in war in our history and then let them off the hook. But still, i dont think it was all our "generosity". I mean in soem instances we DID blow them the **** up, so who would want a blown up POS plot of land whos emajor natural resource was artillery fragments? Also history dictates that empires fall. Look at what happened to Great Britain, AND Rome before that. What happened to "The sun never sets on the English Empire." They even lost hong kong, man, empires fall, it's impossible to stop, you either kill everyone in your empire or wait for them to overthrow it and I think our leaders recognized that. Also, when you conquer a country what is it you want? The beautiful scenery?? Hell no, you want the economic WEALTH, and what better way to get that than to make them feel bad for making us blow them up then offer to help em rebuild so theyll trade with us and make us so rich we can piss in pots of gold.

Mar 2, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #66 of 79
And I agree with what sterlingy says in theory. No we cannot sit idly by while America is destroyed. But still, questioning our countries actions is a good thing to me. and there are many ways to reach an end. we didnt HAVE to blow them up. although i am relieved that they are gone... But hey wont be gone for long. Well just keep having to blow stuff up, its GOT to stop somewhere, and if any country has go tthe strength to stand up and take a few for the good of the human race its ours.

Mar 2, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #68 of 79
. Quote:

Yes always interpret the things I say with a light heart (dont take offense) but this time i am serious. Intellectual slavery is SOCIETY. You cannot be trully free in a society of anykind. Your thoughts, your imagination, your dreams, your wildest most personal DREAMS are a direct result of your society... You may not be a slave PER SE but you are NOT, at all in total control of your mind. Your are programmed to behave, dress, drink, eat, sleep, go to work and be on time just like everyone else or within a certain comfort zone. INTELLECTUAL SLAVERY IS A FACT, you display your youthfull ignorance by pretending that your mind is your own property and not societies. You cannot, at anytime, create, with your mind, something that is not derived from that which you find around you, or in the very least derived from nature, or the physics that govern your own functioning.

The human is a social animal. The only other option is to be born into a completely isolation. To an extent all the great discoveries and theories and art are building on what is around you. However if you look closely there *are* many parts and bits that are creatively twisted and manipulated to make a completely different thing. Many people do parrot the things they hear around them but they also build upon their unique memories and experiences.

Quote:

And to coninue I mean in our own society, it's practically AGAINST the law to FEEL BAD. Evernotice that ****? I mean, your mother gets shot, but if you go on to long mourning her, YOUR MOTHER for gods sake, your ****ing sickly depressed and should be chemically revived. CHEMICALLY revived, as in you are given drugs which control your state of mind, which control your mind, which control you, which become you, and you lose your identity, and you are not you, you are some chemicaly induced body of happiness. WE HATE each other, so no one can get the emotional help they need, second of all, NEEDING emotional help is seen as WEAKNESS when IMO HUMAN LIFE IS DEFINED BY OUR HIGHER REASONING OF COMPLEX EMOTIONS. And sad people ARE NOT PRODUCTIVE. the meaning of the word capitalism probably has the word PRODUCTION in it somewhere... I love that a human being can be so saddened by loss that they would choose death over life. And because of that I love that people become that sad and then choose to live anyways.

I thought that anti-depressants were voluntary for people who do think their depression is an mental disorder. Its not like it is a brave new world or anything where everyone takes it to feel better.

We do not hate each other.
I do not know you well enough to hate you or love you. But I do know that I have a caring, loving family outside of my computer monitor, and that God will look after me and I can run out and lay in the grass basking in the sun and everything will be beautiful. Everyone needs emotional help. I look for it in my family and at church and in nature.

Try reading Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse. It has something similar to what you are saying.

Mar 2, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #70 of 79
"We do not hate each other."

Listen I dont hate anyone. Period. But try riding the subway in NYC. Society is building towards that kind of social collapse. and i dont see my self as a "social" animal. I do see myself as soemone who needs to interact on some level with other humans, but that doesnt make me social in the truest sense of the word. I think ants are a "society" defined.

"I thought that anti-depressants were voluntary for people who do think their depression is an mental disorder. Its not like it is a brave new world or anything where everyone takes it to feel better. "

this is NOT true anymore. You do NOT need to be diagnosed with anykidn o disorder to take these extremely powerful drugs. In fact I remember some talk about making some weaker versions available over the counter.

Ok it is "voluntary" but still when you ar epressured by the views of society, and you no one like syou anymor ebecause you arent this bubbling fountain of pure joy, well how can you not take drugs?

Mar 2, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #71 of 79
War comes from hate, which is fired by greed and envy. War is weak and pathetic way to accomplish something. I look down on the stories (I cannot truely believe history, as I was never there) of the Native Americans being murdered and stripped of their land, however, crap happens, you've just got to learn to cope with it, and move on. I'm against invading countries, but if that's what it takes to protect innocent people from rotten souls, that's what I will support. It's the political ******** wars that I will never respect.

I do believe in defending ones family and land with their lives, and if it means taking anyones life whom threatens that, they have every right to.

Do I think that the US is a true democracy? No. Do I believe my vote counts? Hell no, my view is almost 99% against the majority, what the hell good would .00000...1% do, especially since hardly anyone else would feel the same way? I think most of the people who vote, don't even know what the hell they are voting on, they just get entangled in campaign charisma. I know I will get flamed for this, but it doesn't matter, it won't effect me in any way as this is how I feel, and I'm stubborn
biggrin.gif

But, my opinion is not legitamate, because I do not really believe in government, especially laws. Who's to say what's right or what's wrong, who done what, and who hadn't. If people would have the sense to leave each other alone, and try to live life to the fullest instead of constant bickering and half-stepping, there would be no need for a means of containment, society would run and tend itself. But the pandoras box issue pops up and that whole idea goes to the dumpster.
frown.gif
It's heartbreakingly sad, but what can you do, I try rid myself of any distractions, and live my life the way I want to live it.

I hate no one that I don't know personally. The only way to for someone to be truely hated by me is if they attack my family, or anyone else that I care about. They will become instantly hated by me, and if my loved ones were hurt in anyway, it could mean serious harm and even fatal repercussions for the offender.

Mar 2, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #72 of 79
The only society that would run and tend itself is a soceity where no one has to count on anyone else. And that is impossible according to the definition of a society.

Utopia is impossible, utopia is the result of mindlessness.

It's a never ending FIGHT. LIFE is a FIGHT, no matter how much you talk about just living life to its fullest, you always have to stand up now and then and put your back into something. And if you dont, you really havent lived life to the fullest no matter how many times you went on that sky diving trip with that hot blonde in tights.

I love those stories about tthe guy with cancer and they ask him, what ssomething you alwasy wanted to do?? And hes like, "go sky diving" and they fly up into the blue sky with the bids and the clouds and throw him and his wheel chair out of a plane or something and what now he can finally die HAPPY, jesus christ in heaven thank you for letting this man COMPELTE his life to its ABSOLUTE FULLEST. What a *******ed **** statement LIVE LIFE TO ITS FULLEST IS. whoever said that first needs to be ****ing shot and killed for NOT living life to its fullest. Hell if you havent MURDERED someone you havent LIVED LIFE TO ITS FULLEST, unless of course, LIVING LIFE TO ITS FULLEST, is just the happy things!!!

Mar 2, 2002 at 5:29 AM Post #73 of 79
I used that phrase because peolple would recognize it, I meant that try to make good of every situation, instead of complaining or going about it negatively (destructive, foul attitude, etc).

Mar 2, 2002 at 2:05 PM Post #74 of 79
Quote:

Do I think that the US is a true democracy? No. Do I believe my vote counts? Hell no, my view is almost 99% against the majority, what the hell good would .00000...1% do, especially since hardly anyone else would feel the same way? I think most of the people who vote, don't even know what the hell they are voting on, they just get entangled in campaign charisma. I know I will get flamed for this, but it doesn't matter, it won't effect me in any way as this is how I feel, and I'm stubborn .

In theory, the reason the United States was made as a republic rather than an almost pure democracy was to delegate power down the chain and make people handle their problems on a local level where they can talk things out and make informed choices preventing mob rule.

As a result, the original Constitution only required Reps of the House to be elected and the method of chosing senators and electors was to be decided by the state legislatures. In some cases this didn't work out (southern aristocracy-slavery) and in most cases change was gradual, so they overhauled the system. But I think that those failures were reflections on the people themselves rather than the system. In a democratic government, if the people are ***ked up no one can save them. Personally, I'd like to see a bit more power come down to a managable level rather than the big brother government monoliths that rule over us now.

Quote:

It's a never ending FIGHT. LIFE is a FIGHT, no matter how much you talk about just living life to its fullest, you always have to stand up now and then and put your back into something. And if you dont, you really havent lived life to the fullest no matter how many times you went on that sky diving trip with that hot blonde in tights.

Sometimes I feel that my blood is flowing backwards and the ground is moving with pain or hate or sadness or joy or pleasure and realize that yes, I am ALIVE with my heart pounding to break through my ribs.
However, I don't axe a hag or jump out of airplanes. To always feel life at its damning fullest, with every second feeling like an eternity desecrates and makes too common those moments when I really feel life at my fullest. I've read countless accounts of war vets in which they go through all sort of ***t with the fear and furious concentration of combat, the adrenaline rushes getting weaker and weaker. I don't want to be like that. I want to mourn terribly and feel my heart ripping at the funeral of someone I love, and burst and gush with joy at a birth of a friend or family. In between I'd rather live a semi-intense life studying, listening to music, reading, working out, praying, and interacting with other people.
Life sometimes rushes around me suffocating me in a sea of feelings and I close my eyes and just PUSH against it, but most of the time it is me in a boat working forward in a winable but not easy fight, toward reachable but distant goals. Another thing is that I will live to fight another day, be free to explore other options and other futures. Thats how I feel. If I wanted to feel at my fullest all the time, I would go down the street and find a drug dealer.

Sometimes I don't even have to work at it. Sometimes I'm cooling down after a jog or getting up in a beautiful morning and I am ALIVE all over again. I get depressed, sad, lonely walking along a river with the sweat from my run dripping and everything, every single detail of what is around me, the old bridge silent cars couples walking hand in hand the empty benchs, I can FEEL these and I am lonely. And somedays I can hop out the door and the sun is bursting with radiance and the grass is a good green and the birds are chirping and I know that the girl I have a crush on will be at the bus stop, and I can feel these too and I am happy.

The people I am around got used to my heights and pits of my emotions. I don't have a problem with them. I've never seen prozac(?) in my life. I'm still in my teens though.

It takes years to make literary, musical, or artistic masterpieces. During that time it is practically impossible for anyone short of being a junkie to feel their fullest all the time. There are lulls in creativity and passages that do become stuck. They work at it, get warmed up, write in a fury of passion and get stuck again.
It's natural. The guy with cancer didn't jump out of the airplane twice, did he?

Mar 2, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #75 of 79
You don't vote=you don't count.Your political opinions mean nothing.You have left it to other people to make decisions for you.I'm sure there were people in Florida who thought their vote didn't count.How can someone say that their views are so skewed that their vote won't count.I can't remember seeing anything so ****ed up on a ballot as to turn my stomach.Vote against everybody but vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back