Is the USA really a Democracy??
Feb 26, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 79
Quote:

Doesn't work. Whole lot of ********ism, bias/ignorance, corruption, etc

Every government doesn't work. In case you've forgotten, ours has lasted a pretty long time, and people tend to be pretty happy here. So compared to anything else that's been tried, it works pretty well.

(Generalizations are hurting my mind! Oh well)

Feb 26, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 79
i theory it is a democracy, following the definitions posted above. however, being a convicted felon takes your vote away; for whatever reason (race, war on drugs) whole segments of the population no longer have a vote. so in practice we are closer to a republic.

Feb 26, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #22 of 79
In reality no. The last election proved that. And the smokescreen was massive. Thousands of long time up to date registered Democrats DISAPPEARED from the rolls. Gee, who runs Florida, with the power to do that???? Big smoke screen was the ballot issue.

Money and power and the lucky few run the government. It is not government for and by the people. It is government by the rich and powerful for the rich and powerful...for companies. The population is to serve them. The saying is "Bread and Circus'".
Keep the people happy and fed, and power can be kept.

Enron for example. How the hell did they get away with it? Well, just like the old Savings and Loan fiasco. Rich and powerful in power, need money, clean out the public. Gosh, could this be another Republican government (now now, Democrats have other "problems").

But things could be worse. At least we had the rich and powerful in power when 9/11 hit. At least they will do something (because WTC was a money and power "base".

What a lovely country! Send billions overseas, and let millions of Americans die of inadequate health care.

No, I am not a Democrat. Just a 52 year old paranoid realist with eyes, ears, and a brain.

evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 12:08 AM Post #23 of 79
America is going to become the movies and books and endless streams of entertainment that our rotten little minds have been festering on for the past 80 years. We are going to become an unreal state of people whose emotions, morality, and technology are defined by the thrillseeking entertainers of this and past generations. We will not think or be anything but fun seekers, fun lovers, you only live oncers, the very definition of hedonistic pleasure seekers that defile the very meaning of human life.

All around me I see the problems we face being opposed directly, this just incites the oppositiont to try harder! It is rare and unpopular to see a problem solved at the very root of it's cause. It's unpopular because feeding kids in poor neighborhoods doesn't make headlines the way the shootout downtown would. Ever seen Al Pacino head up a cast dedicated to feeding poor kids? I see him in shootouts and gangbusts, I see him trying to thrill us all with nonsense. As an analogy to fighting fire with fire take a river and a dam. If you build a small dam and the river rises you can't just keep adding to the top of the dam, you have to build down as well as up! Without a solid foundation the dam will topple and the flood will destroy the nation.

I wouldn't trust my life to my neighbors thats for damn sure. Democracy?? In a nation filled with crack addicts and drug lords? Half the people in this city are alcoholics it seems, we've all got our own agenda, some of us want to save the environment, some of us want to destroy it for money. Democracy is LIE, the only time it happens is when family's vote to stay in or go out for pizza.

Feb 27, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #24 of 79
Quote:

A great example would be Van Buren before the Civil War broke out, all he wanted was to be re-elected.

Yup, Money + Power = US Government. Damn right, it's narcissism giving everyone else the finger.

ai0tron with his smiley face avatar reminds me of the "Loonies" from GTA2, lofl.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #25 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
Money and power and the lucky few run the government. It is not government for and by the people. It is government by the rich and powerful for the rich and powerful...for companies. The population is to serve them. The saying is "Bread and Circus'".

And it's been that way for over 200 years.
mad.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #26 of 79
It seems funny to me that no matter how many times the Florida vote gets recounted, it still turns out that Bush won and Gore lost. But some people just can't believe it. I guess facts don't matter anymore.
"The United States" is a representative republic. Your vote is only a suggestion. Your representative, at the electoral college is who decides who is going to be president. Not your vote.

Feb 27, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #27 of 79
At first, I always noticed the many problems the U.S. has...

Then I became politically conscious in my last vacation in India a few years ago.

Bwa! I'm sure happy to be in this country, problems or whatnot....

Feb 27, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #29 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
At first, I always noticed the many problems the U.S. has...

Then I became politically conscious in my last vacation in India a few years ago.

Bwa! I'm sure happy to be in this country, problems or whatnot....

You say that only because they want you too. You are a slave, we are all slaves. Society makes slaves. Governments are murderer's, the president is a slave driver. Slaves, me, you, the guy picking up our trash, the guy washing dishes, a boy delivering papers. Einstien, even the greatest thinker of our time was made a slave, they took his genius and made it a weapon to KILL. Governments are murderers, you know it, deep down, if youd stop being afraid you'd let it hit you, you would, but your scared and friends is on TV so **** it lets get drunk and have sex.

What do you wanna be a slave for? Are you like a horse doing tricks for a sugar cube? You have no choice, you cannot fend for yourself, you think the forest is dangerous, the city is a killer! There's only one way to live WORK, WORK, WORK. Work everyday your whole life and at the end die and get the **** out cuz social security is getting out of hand. Put your heart and soul into everything you do so everyone else will be so much happier, paint something beautiful and sell it at nothing so you can barely stay alive, then die and the rich get richer off your suffering. Watch the congress go to work half the time their actually in session, they get paid hundreds of thousands, but oh the burden they carry... Give themselves a pay raise, they are more important than us anyways, much more important. I am nothing, I am tripe, and scum, and I am worthless. There are 220 million slaves to take my place if I die, expendable, excess perhaps, a drain on society. Put me out of my misery, GIVE me a ****ing joint then tell me it's illegal so I can smoke it and feel like I'm free. HA, everyday in fear, everyday you could be fired, your life is going up in the smoke of industry and commerce, they don't burn oil they burn YOU. YOU ARE BURNING UP IN THEIR MACHINE, your ashes will pollute the earth.

Feb 27, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #30 of 79
kinda thread I KNOW I should stay away from.........but being me means I have no self control on certain things.

First of all,the right to bear arms guarantees a degree of democracy.When only those in charge have the means to defend/attack all that is left are the "do what I say or else " and the "yes sir,whatever you want" extremes,no matter the right or wrong.Not to mention stormtroopers grabbing you ass out of bed in the middle of the night for any real or perceived infraction.
Secondly,not too many other nations that have to build walls to keep folks out.
Not happy with those in charge !
WELL THEN FKN VOTE !
And don't give me no **** about FLA.Independant sources with an axe to grind have done the recount and it still comes up bush.Why the deafening silence ?
Because it was not the result desired so silence is better than "ooops,guess we gotta give the man his due"
Corruption ?
HOW **** WORKS ! GET OVER IT !
And better here than in some countries.
Any one here tries to tell me they don't give an inside track on a bid in in a position to do so to a family member or buddy,or does not throw a favour now and then (lunch maybe ?) for a "look the other way" if no one gets hurt just don't know how things work or is not being truthful.
In a perfect world no one takes long lunches or tries to coast on my jobs at my expense.
Is this not also corrupt ?
How about income taxes ?
NO ONE CHEATS ?
And no matter your political slant,and I am a conservative mostly,if you vote the party line straight up and down you are a fool.Voting is a priveledge and a right,but YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR DAMN HOMEWORK or you get what you get,and bitchin' won't change ****.
These people will tell you anything you want to hear to get your vote,but there is a history on all political animals there if you dig.
You vote with your brain and not your heart.
Warts and all,the alternative is much worse or I would move there,wherever "there" is

Users who are viewing this thread

Back