Is the USA really a Democracy??
Feb 27, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #31 of 79
ai0tron, I am sorry, but your post just makes me laugh. Yeah, there is so serious stuff wrong with our country, but at least you can do and say what you want. The very fact that you made that post without an intelligence agency coming in and locking you away with no trial forever is an argument in favor of our country. In that vein, I think we should take John Ashcroft and hang him from his balls from a lamppost like they did with Mussolini, but that is just me.
Anyway, coolvij is right. Go to a developing country, and you will change your attitudes pretty damn quickly. Having spent more than a year of my life in Russia makes me realize how much **** we take for granted. And Russia is a relatively industrialized and modernized nation....yet the governement has bought out every single TV station, the mafia has control over almost all the major companies, as well as the government, and they simply rob the public of hundreds of billions of dollars a year, spending it on mercedes, houses in Cyprus, France and the US, furs and jewelry. On top of that, there is no respect at all for the environment. It is so bad that the military has dumped spent nuclear reactors into the Sea of Japan. Try and see if the US public would let our government get away with any of those things happening. Somehow I do not think so.

Feb 27, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #32 of 79
'Cause then I'd go live in Italy, and live a simple worry-free peaceful happy life. Ordering stuff overnight delivery all the time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #33 of 79
Hate to burst your bubble, but as nice as Italy is, it is one of the most corrupt and screwed up governments in the Western world.....this would not change my decision, as (real) Italian women and (real) Italian food more than make up for any shortcomings.....

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #35 of 79
"The alternative is much worse" is a cop out. You could get stabbed in the eye and go blind and say well at least I wasn't shot in the eye. Just because you could get shot in the eye doesn't mean being stabbed in the eye is ok.

Our government buries atomic waste on our own land.

Is that safe? They choose the location by offering a bid then a state opts to let them bury it there. The environment is not priority #1. They set off nuclear bombs for decades out in the desert. WHY DO YOU THINK CANCER IS SO HIGH THESE DAYS??BUSH sold texas out to that **** when he was governor there.

You patriots are blind, but still, I love America, it's my home I want it to be better than it is.

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #37 of 79
Yes, of course it is in a totalitarian kind of way! Actually, we are a republic, not a democracy...just a technicality..."And to the republic, for which it stands"!
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #38 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
At first, I always noticed the many problems the U.S. has...

Then I became politically conscious in my last vacation in India a few years ago.

Bwa! I'm sure happy to be in this country, problems or whatnot....

India is a democracy!

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #39 of 79
I updated my post, but to further elaborate, I think Americans get in the habit of assuming we have it far better than the rest of the world, and on the whole I sincerely believe we do. But things could be SO much better. For everyone.

"Not happy with those in charge !
WELL THEN FKN VOTE ! "

What between Bush or Gore?? I think it's a question of whos corupption is going to hurt me least in the long run. Probably would have been Gore, Bush is just a pawn, and his old senile daddy is his only guidance.

"Corruption ?
HOW **** WORKS ! GET OVER IT !"

Pretend I just scammed you out of your life savings, still feel that way? Pretend i just scammed you out of the 500 bucks you were going to get your kid a new bike with. Still feel that way? Is that just how it works man?? We all get ****ed over, and in order to survive we **** over everyone else? Is that your view on life, people will **** each either over, its okay its been happening for a long time? People have been starvign in somalia for a long time, but thats ok, thats how it works, thats what they get for living in the damn desert right??

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #40 of 79
Quote:

ai0tron said...

What between Bush or Gore??

Those weren't the only two choices, you know. And tell me, what exactly are you doing to change this corrupt American government?

Feb 27, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #41 of 79
Im just saying stuff to people in hopes that someone who knows how will come up with something. I dont know what to do except try and point out the problem. If I knew I'd do it, but by the same token I don't even really know if I am right, I feel that I am, but **** I might throw it all out the window for nothing. I do know America isn't perfect, but that isnt saying much, however sitting idly by and doing nothing about it is wrong.

Also Rick, in regards to your statement about individuals pullign a fast one on you at work or something, thats something wholly within your ability to take care of. Fighting the government is like shooting mount everest with a bb gun.

And yeah bush or Gore, theres no way those other candidates were gonna win!!! Dont you remember the debate that Nader was banned from participating in??? HA HA HA, funny really, you only have the choice of which poison to die from. Kind of like being on death row, lethal injection, the chair, firing squad, you have all these CHOICES, but they dont mean anything because the end result is the same.

Feb 27, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #43 of 79
Again,if you don't like things then do your part to change them man !
Hell,run for office yourself,it is your right as an american citizen.
Too much ?
So pick a candidate you like and voluteer to help out.
Gore and Bush ?
EVER HEAR OF SOMETHING CALLED A PRIMARY ?
These guys just didn't fall out of the sky,they were CHOSEN to represent thier political prty by VOTES.Maybe not one man one vote but still votes.
as for corruption,it will NEVER go away.NEVER !
But there are degrees of and some are harmless.The extremes are something different and heads will/should roll.
At least here in the states you have a chance to HEAR about it.There are countries where you are just flat out screwed , no voice,no legal recourse.In fact,bitching will get your butt tossed in the pokey.
No perfect system until you find perfect people,and there are none

Feb 27, 2002 at 5:47 AM Post #44 of 79
If this government sucks, then why don't you move to the country that has a good government? If we could do so much better with our 300 millions, why isn't anyone else actually doing better?

It's hard to swallow these assertions: Quote:

The alternative is much worse" is a cop out. You could get stabbed in the eye and go blind and say well at least I wasn't shot in the eye.

when all around the world everyone is getting either shot or stabbed in the eye. There is little choice.

Could we do so much better in America? Okay, revolt. No one wants to revolt with you? Gee, that's funny -- must mean the rest of us don't mind living in this corrupt, evil society. It's probably because we know that this society isn't so bad in comparison.

People who see the world in absolute, rather than relative terms, need to open their eyes and look at the world. Study our government, rather than bitching about what you read in USA Today, and make realistic suggestions, and then maybe your point will come across better. And maybe, just maybe, you'll realize your point wasn't really that valid in the first place.

I'm still not sure what system you are advocating -- anarchy, most likely.

Feb 27, 2002 at 5:52 AM Post #45 of 79
Quote:

Also Rick, in regards to your statement about individuals pullign a fast one on you at work or something, thats something wholly within your ability to take care of.

Yeah,just friggin fire everybody and start all over.
I am sorry mrs. so and so,but you and the little ones are fkd , no food this week because your husband tried to beat me out of ten minutes .
Or I just happen to luck out (lower price) on some materials,so instead of trying to maybe make a good profit I should pass along the savings to the customer
And oh yeah,never mind the bid I took a beatin' on.All good
But I guess that is corrupt,looking out for my family and all

The debates ?
I seem to remember many candidates being shut out.Something to do with the rules.Nader,Buchanan,others.
If the people wanted Nader he would be pres,simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back