is the tempurpedic Mattress worth is hype/price?
Aug 2, 2005 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

bhd812

Headphoneus Supremus
Well Since I am doing a upgrade to the room itself for audio (yes it started out for the speaker needs of carpet), I have gone on a personal redo of my whole Idea of my Bedroom in general!

the carpet is what started it all, I decided to get full carpet cause I have a ok speaker set and I am sick of throw rugs look!

then since I redoing the floor I came up with the Idea of painting my ceiling tiles white, but then that turned into a full ceiling tiles redo (the new ceiling is up and its sooooo white)

then I ordered a blueair air cleaner since its supposed to be better then the ionec breeze I had before (which now we get into a health side redo of the room).

before choosing the carpet,bed,dresser or even my listening chair I decided to go with a happy lite green for my carpet to keep the room lite and happy (its a basement).

then I picked out my bed and dresser today which will perfectly match the speakers to!..anyway

now here is where my quest for a new mattress begins..

a full size tempurpedic Mattress is around $1300.00
and I have no doubt I will bring this with me through out my journy past this room I am in now so in the long run this may be a good investment (esp a better sleep,back,etc)

my question to you all that may have tried or own or know someone who does...

is the tempurpedic Mattress worth is hype/price?

if it is then I will use my full futon mattress until I can save for the bad boy.

oh btw..I still havent even ordered the speakers that started this in the first place...should be later this week i am waiting on a very good dealer..anyway

answers? help? advice ABOUT THE TEMPURPEDIC MATTRESS?

thank you all in advance your always so helpful with stuff like this..really you all are!

Billy D

Aug 2, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 38
Dirty little secret of Visco-elastic "Memory" Foam, is that they can and will flatten out over time, and won't return to their original shape.

Tempurpedic brand is one of the densest (and expensive) available, but they often run into problems eventually.

Do a google search, there are a lot of complaints (along with praises).

Some people complain about being too hot because of the foam.

If you buy, be sure to get a money back guarantee.

Also, buy a larger size than you think you need. Get at least a Queen sized one if you sleep alone most of the time, and try not to sleep on the exact same place each night.

-Ed

Aug 2, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 38
Sleep number bed (select comfort) for me supplement with 2 inches of v-e foam topped with four inches of a feather topper. Check out QVC for details on the sleep number bed for best pricing.....just don't want to get up.....

I like the ability to select a firmness based on whether I have a back ache or pain on my side. Soft if I am having tenderness on my pressure points on my side and hard if I am having a back ache.

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 38
We've got a King size, top 'o the line Serta Pillow-top mattress & box springs. Cost $1200, and was worth every penny.
Best bed ever, totally comfy, it even got rid of my back pain.
I think we've had it for about 6 years ago and it's still like new.
biggrin.gif

TR

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Dirty little secret of Visco-elastic "Memory" Foam, is that they can and will flatten out over time, and won't return to their original shape.

Yep, you are right about that. I bought a Tempurpedic pillow 2 years ago for around $130, and now it is flat and hard as a rock. Also, if you like your room to be cold in the winter (<50F), it will be quite a bit firmer than usual. Just FYI IMO

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 38
Not to hijack, but I'm planning on buying a bed soon and I've heard a lot of people vouch for the sleep number beds. Which are really expensive (my ex recently got one that was nearly 3 grand). I don't have unlimited funds, but I could probably afford one of the middle of the road sleep number beds in a Queen size. I'm just curious whether people feel it's worth paying 2-3 times more for than say, a standard average Serta pillowtop mattress. That price difference would buy a lot of headphones (or a pair of really nice headphones). I'm probably willing to spend more on a bed than any other single piece of furniture I'll be filling my apartment with...I'll accept that they're good, I wanna know whether they're really THAT good.

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 38
Billy,do a search and find my thread about the Tempurpedic mattresses. I just got another for my apartment and I can't live without it.

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
....Also, if you like your room to be cold in the winter (<50F), it will be quite a bit firmer than usual. Just FYI IMO

I really enjoyed those photos you posted last week of your house under construction. This one really showcases your beautiful yard.

wink.gif

How long did it take before you were able to fall asleep while being bombarded by the sound of your own clattering teeth? Heck, water would be firmer at that temperature.

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 38
This thread could not have come at a better time for me. I was planning on buying my wife a new mattress set for our anniversary (don't worry that is what she wants) and I was leaning heavily towards a v-e type mattress from http://www.memoryfoamcanada.com/ they are rated the same as the 10" tempurpedic mattresses. but I don't want something that will compress after time. Our present mattress is only 5 years old and it sucks something serious. What about Latex?

Aug 3, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
I really enjoyed those photos you posted last week of your house under construction. This one really showcases your beautiful yard.

lol, I wish
tongue.gif
I love the cold weather, and my little farm of computers do to. Plus, the money I save in heating bills adds up!

Aug 3, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 38
I have the comfortaire mattress which is similar to the select comfort,
dual air bladders controllable with hand controls, VE foam and a
down pillow top. Love it. Also have a tempurpedic pillow. It is about
1.5 years old and has turned into a goo like rock. The dogs like to
sleep on it however. Pretty much all it is good for.

Aug 3, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore

How do the comfortaires rate in terms of firmness?

Aug 3, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore

LOL, same thing happened to our pillows too. Our dog loves them too. She likes to rip out the foam with her teeth, though. Makes a real mess when changing the pillow covers.

Oh, and the foam changes color to a nice and nasty dark yellow/orange. Must be the sweat and body/hair oils. Also hairs get embedded in the foam in weird ways.

Our current favorite bed is a strange hybrid I made. Back in my nomadic college days, I used a queen sized Aerobed, and used a Tempurpedic-type foam topper. I got the firmness of the air bed inflated rock hard, and the softness of the foam on top. It was perfect. And not to mention very portable.

However, the foam only lasted about a year until it flattened out.
The Aerobed was much longer lived.

I ended up getting a 100% Wool/Cotton (mostly wool) filled futon mattress with no innersprings or foam. Using it as a topper is much better on the Aerobed. Not only does it breathe better, it's much more comfortable in both the hot and cold weather.

It is rotated once a month, and let it air out (usually in the sunlight) once or twice a year.

I can't go back to foam or innerspring mattresses.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back