is the tempurpedic Mattress worth is hype/price?
Aug 3, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #16 of 38
Anybody want to recommend a better pillow than Tempurpedic? Mines starting to get less flexible as well, though it's still tons better than the old, regular down pillow I was using. Mind you, I sleep on my side, if that helps.

I tried the mattress briefly at a Brookstones, seemed a little too much of a good thing. I'd go w/ a SelectComfort (not outstanding, necessarily, but not bad, I've tried my parents' mattress) or maybe a different memory foam if anybody knows a better one.

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
if v-e mattresses are soo poor...how can they have 20 yr warranties?

Check the RMA policy. It's not cheap to ship a mattress on your dime.

Or lug it back to the store.

Plus, what level of loss of resilency is covered by the warranty?

All in all, from what I have heard, the lifetime and quality of the pillows is far less than the mattress.

Keep in mind the mattress is not 100% VE foam. It's only the top layer, there are a couple of layers of different kinds of foam underneath. Which is why you cannot flip the mattress upside down like you do with regular mattresses.

-Ed

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

How do the comfortaires rate in terms of firmness?

I have a queen sized Comfortaire (http://www.comfortaire.com/home.asp , and you can make them as firm as you want just by inflating, same as the Select Comfort. We went with Comfortaire because they were quite a bit less than the Select Comfort brand. They have a great warranty, and I know because I had to use it.

For some unknown reason, the heavy duty material that covers the air bladders developed a number of leaks. I sent off an email to Comfortaire on a Friday, and they responded that Saturday saying they were "extremely sorry for the inconvenience" and that a new set was on its way. I received them a few days later via UPS, threw the defective ones in the box, and mailed back to the company. The ones I have now are fine, and my brother's Comfortaire bed is about 5 years old, and he hasn't had any problems.

Just a side note: I do not work for Comfortaire, or know anyone who does. Just a happy customer.
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #19 of 38
When in doubt, sleep on a mattress that is too firm. I have back problems, and I sleep on an extra firm mattress sitting on top of a wooden platform. Your back will thank you if you sleep on a firm mattress.

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #20 of 38
Thanks, guys. I'm shopping for a mattress too, double size. Right now, I'm leaning toward the IKEA Sultan Hagalid ($349). I found a nice firm one at SleepCountry as well, a Serta Gibraltar ($540).

Aug 3, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #21 of 38
I've had a Select Comfort (aka Sleep Number) bed for about 7 years and love it. Other friends and family members have since bought one and everyone loves them.

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #22 of 38
They use "space foam" mattresses at a lot of hotels and I can't imagine they'd use them if they wore out as quickly as some are stating. I use them at home in my vacation house and on my RV and I love em'

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #23 of 38
Considering how much time is spent on a mattress, it is not worth it to skimp! I have considered the tempurpedic mattresses too since I have heard many good things about them. Question to the folks who have them: do you still use a box spring or are they placed directly on a hard surface? If they don't use a box spring I'd have to get a platform to put the mattress on.

Quote:

Anybody want to recommend a better pillow than Tempurpedic? Mines starting to get less flexible as well, though it's still tons better than the old, regular down pillow I was using. Mind you, I sleep on my side, if that helps.

I like down pillows but I could never get comfortable with them. That is, until I bought an 80x80 cm goose down pillow when I was in Germany. The huge size supports the noggin in just the right way for sleeping on my side. I recently replaced it with one from Ikea Germany (with the help of a friendly Head-Fier) and it is the best $50 I ever spent:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...roductId=10582

Aug 3, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #24 of 38
Wow alot of replys!

thanks guys/gals on the feedback, I will not be using a box spring cause the bed I bought is a platform bed (simple and simple).

I will be going around chicago to try out different mattress's to see what I like. the futon mattress I have now is so firm I love it, but in the past month I have been waking up with a real bad back pain and since I am 25 I better rethink my sleeping place now while I have a chance (before the pain or age grows).

In a month I will have the cash on me for the upgrade to the bed, I really want to put the money in the setup for audio but this one is for my sleep/back.

there is a tempurpedic store by my work so I will visit to see whats all the fuss is about.
I will also check out other mattress mentioned in this thread to, But I really dont want a adjustable firm setting thing I think, I will be there all night playing with it...
I like things simple and done rite the first time then I live with them for ever.,.....kind of like my headamps (options cloud my mind to easy..lol)

Aug 3, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

This thread could not have come at a better time for me. I was planning on buying my wife a new mattress set for our anniversary (don't worry that is what she wants) and I was leaning heavily towards a v-e type mattress from http://www.memoryfoamcanada.com/ they are rated the same as the 10" tempurpedic mattresses. but I don't want something that will compress after time. Our present mattress is only 5 years old and it sucks something serious. What about Latex?

I have a Latex mattress with a woolen cover. Latex will shape to your body so you need to flip the mattress regulairly. But once it has your body shape (Up to you if you think that's a good or bad thing) it will stay good for at least 6 yrs (that how long I've got mine.) The wool cover is really good. Wool will even the bodyweight or the bloodstream will be better when you lie on wool, something like that. So it's also good for preventing bedsores. And like edwood said, it breaths, good for summer and winter.

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
They use "space foam" mattresses at a lot of hotels and I can't imagine they'd use them if they wore out as quickly as some are stating. I use them at home in my vacation house and on my RV and I love em'

How long have you had your mattresses? The one I am thinking about getting has the VE top layer then all the other foam types in the middle, uber hard stuff for support etc. But if the VE gets really rigid over-time, my wife sure won't be pleased. If you have tempurpedic and have had it for a good while, then at least this demonstrates real world use for those of us who are looking at going that way. Comfortaire in Canada is very pricey, so is the Select Comfort, I can get a Canadian made tempurpedic (made by our space agency and plastics companies) for a good price, plus they are close by so it is appealing.

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I have a Latex mattress with a woolen cover. Latex will shape to your body so you need to flip the mattress regulairly. But once it has your body shape (Up to you if you think that's a good or bad thing) it will stay good for at least 6 yrs (that how long I've got mine.) The wool cover is really good. Wool will even the bodyweight or the bloodstream will be better when you lie on wool, something like that. So it's also good for preventing bedsores. And like edwood said, it breaths, good for summer and winter.

Hmm, that seems pretty interesting as well, I have more researeching and testing to do!

Aug 3, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin

This: http://catalog.com/organic/buckwheat/buckwheat.html

I have used it for about 4 months now and I could not be happier. If I could construct a mattress out of this stuff and use a V-E topper I would. Incredible stuff and this is the best on the market (of buckwheat I mean). There is a chiropractic and sleep clinic right near my work and they highly recommend buckwheat pillows.

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #29 of 38
I, too, have been considering a new bed recently. I've been looking at sleep number, the temperpedics, and heard about the naughtlius sleep systems which seem to similar to the sleep number beds.

Anyone have experience with the nuaghtilus?

I've heard nothing but good thing about the sleep numbers in my research.

Aug 4, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #30 of 38
I have a 2" memory foam topper on a Serta Jewell but tried the tempurpedic before that. Be sure to try from a local dealer instead of mail order and be sure to get the 30 money back guarantee. After 30-days, I hadn't slept any better so I returned it. For the premium price, I was not getting any premium sleep.

This is a very personal decision and with your back, you want to be sure it is the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back