Is the Shure SRH840 for me?
Jun 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Looking for something closed, with fairly even frequency response, for night listening. Something not bright and not dark either. Have a chance to audition these tomorrow.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 17
That's what they offer.

It's probably not going to be as musical and responsive as your T1s, and I found them a bit bland for rock music.  Still, they are very sweet, gentle, accurate sounding headphones for the price.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 17
Yeah, I believe they're fairly balanced, leaning towards dark/warm.

Jun 16, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 17
I would HIGHLY suggest you give these cans a chance before saying they're uncomfortable. When I first received mine the clamping pressure was unbearable, now I can wear them for hours on end and not even realize they're on my head; just a matter of letting them "stretch out" a bit. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 840s are the jack of all trades, master of none. They do everything well, nothing outstanding, nothing poorly. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 840s are the jack of all trades, master of none. They do everything well, nothing outstanding, nothing poorly. 

Sounds good. Sometimes I just like to put the hi-fi thing away and focus on being moved by music, like I used be when listening to the radio as a youngster. It's just been my experience that any can with those type of pads (thin black plasticky covering material) has sucked. Again, I hope to be able to audition tomorrow.

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 17
I think you nailed by saying not too dark or bright.  The 840s are very neutral, a great balance of lows mids and highs, with a good kick factor.  They are not forward sounding, the soundstage is "meh" at best but it wasn't designed for that.  I couldn't game with it on Call of Duty, its not a pinpoint accurate set at all.  But you could judge where sounds came from in that general direction.  Thats the best way I can explain the stage on it.  Its definitely wide and not tall.

Overall, its one of the best sets you can buy.  Immensely uncomfortable though, unless you do my mod :)

Jun 17, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Overall, its one of the best sets you can buy.  Immensely uncomfortable though, unless you do my mod :)

+1
Great sound. Very good isolation, but heavy and killer on the top of my head.
You just might want to give the M50 a try. Not as neutral, but still very good.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 17
Listened to 'em today  Better than I'd thought they'd be. They sound balanced with a nice heft to the music, not like these "high end" cans that sound all too prim and proper. No big holographic soundstage which is a plus AFAIC. Presents proper uncluttered imaging with all the parts solidly placed. I didn't find them uncomfortable at all, for brand new cans.

After I pick them up on Monday, I'll return with some more impressions.

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 17
These are really nice. I am having a great time with the srh840. Response is really evenly balanced. Everything I play through them sounds unique, each a special recording. Some sound warm, some bright, some just right. Bass and treble are whatever is on the recording. These are the hallmarks of a balanced, uncolored and honest headphone. Soundstage is good enough, not flashy nor spectacular. But the real strong suit of the 840 is dynamics. Choruses jump out the way they should. It does not close up and compress when things get loud and heavy. They stay open and clear.

Bravo Shure!

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 17
Could not have said it better myself Beagle, these cans are really growing on me EACH time I put them on. I keep looking to "upgrade" but for the $140 I paid, I dont see how $500+ cans are going to outshine these by such a high cost-to-benefit margin. 

Jun 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 17
^ The shure 840 are just so well done, some 500$ headphones are on par with them or only slightly ahead, i can name a few actually in that range that don't really do it for me.  I dont find 300$ more than the 840s cost to merit just a little bit of clarity and a slightly wider stage.  I much prefer the 840 over the Sennheiser HD650, just going to show price doesnt really matter at all these days.

The 840s are awesome.  But they get a big fat F for failure on the design and comfort.  They are literally the worst design ever.  Wires sticking out for no reason, immensely heavy for no reason ( if you have seen my 840 mod thread, you'll know what I mean), bulky and HUGE gaps on the side of your head for no reason.  They are in my top 5 pick for worst design ever.

Shame though, because I enjoy them just as much as my JVChas700 which was only 30$ :D  and outperforms some 100-150$ headphones that are BIG name and popular around these parts.  But you didn't hear that from me, shh

*fades back into the shadows 

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #14 of 17
@OP: SRH840 is excellent indeed, but I believe you can do even better for around the same price or a little more. Check out Fischer Audio FA-003 and German Maestro GMP 8.300 D.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
^ The shure 840 are just so well done, some 500$ headphones are on par with them or only slightly ahead, i can name a few actually in that range that don't really do it for me.  I dont find 300$ more than the 840s cost to merit just a little bit of clarity and a slightly wider stage.  I much prefer the 840 over the Sennheiser HD650, just going to show price doesnt really matter at all these days.

The 840s are awesome.  But they get a big fat F for failure on the design and comfort.  They are literally the worst design ever.  Wires sticking out for no reason, immensely heavy for no reason ( if you have seen my 840 mod thread, you'll know what I mean), bulky and HUGE gaps on the side of your head for no reason.  They are in my top 5 pick for worst design ever.

Shame though, because I enjoy them just as much as my JVChas700 which was only 30$ :D  and outperforms some 100-150$ headphones that are BIG name and popular around these parts.  But you didn't hear that from me, shh

*fades back into the shadows 

I must have a deformed head, because I literally LOVE the way these feel on my skull. Pretty much everyone knocks their comfort, but I cant even tell Im wearing them after I slip into the music. I guess Im lucky they dont bother me as much so I can actually enjoy their euphonic sound rather than worrying about discomfort *cough* D5000 *cough*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back