Is the schiit lyr suitable?
May 12, 2012 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HolyCheese

500+ Head-Fier
hello,

I've already posted this in another forum but since it was a little offtopic I will post it here too. 

I'm really interested in the lyr. But how does it perform with low impedance headphones? I'm planning to buy the audeze lcd2 but since I'm a student it'll take some time. I currently own the m50's and I'm interested in the he-400 to satisfy my needs. Since both are easy to drive. Is the lyr a good option? I like the way schiit gear looks and it fits with my pc. Streacom FC5OD silver. It'll make a nice stack. The schiit dac+amp on this pc.

Thanks!

May 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 14
While I don't have experience with the HE400 I think it would be okay even though it's easy to drive. Orthos can usually suck it up. Easy to drive dynamics on the other hand aren't a great pair with the Lyr, IMO. 

Quote:
hello,

I've already posted this in another forum but since it was a little offtopic I will post it here too. 

I'm really interested in the lyr. But how does it perform with low impedance headphones? I'm planning to buy the audeze lcd2 but since I'm a student it'll take some time. I currently own the m50's and I'm interested in the he-400 to satisfy my needs. Since both are easy to drive. Is the lyr a good option? I like the way schiit gear looks and it fits with my pc. Streacom FC5OD silver. It'll make a nice stack. The schiit dac+amp on this pc.

Thanks!

May 13, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for your reply!

So you're saying that it isn't the best combination. But it is possible? It won't damadge the headphone OR the amp?
I didn't buy the m50's for home use anyway because i'm going to buy the he-400 for that.
I've heard from a friend that the tubes might burn when used with low impedance headphones. Is that true?

Or do you suggest that I buy the HE-400 first and use it with my FiiO E10 and I upgrade to a schiit dac and amp later?

May 13, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 14
I've owned the he500 with the lyr and it was a very nice pairing. I have the he400 now, but not the lyr. I think it would also pair very well. But you wouldn't want to pair the lyr with the m50's.

Buy the he400 now and pair it with the e10. I had that combo for a few weeks actually and it wasn't bad on high gain. 
wink.gif

May 13, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 14
I use the Lyr with my 400s and the pair up is great. You can pretty much use the Lyr with any headphone, any impedence, just be carefull you don't crank up the volume too high and fry very sensitive cans. I currently use my Lyr with HF man 5LE , 400, Senn HD 600, Grado RS2 Hope that helps John

May 13, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 14
Allright thanks for you help!

And John that sure helps. A friend of mine offered me the Grado RS2 for a nice price. What is a better pair? the HE-400 or the RS2 with the lyr?
I mainly listen to Pink Floyd and Dire Straits. Well and everything else too but I looooove those bands.

May 14, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
hello,

Thanks!

schiit lyr is made specifically for low impendance cans.  so yes it would power them fine. just do some research and make sure you think the he-400 is what your looking for. 

May 14, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 14
You know what the problem is with hifiman? I can't listen to them anywhere in the Netherlands. So I have no idea if I will like them. Reviews do look promising.

What cans out there sound a bit like the he-400 or he-500?

May 14, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 14
Someone here posted a few days ago, the Lyr can have audible hum if there are grounding issues. Not sure if its was specific to the poster.

May 14, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #14 of 14
Hmmm... by grounded you mean your sockets have a ground pin? Thats what caused the problem for the OP. 
Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_(electricity)#Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back