Is the Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 for me?
Oct 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

thinkpol

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for an amp that I can use both with speakers (passive) and headphones. The two phones I would like it to synergize well with are the LCD-2 and D7000. I don't need a ton of volume from the speakers, I live in a small apartment. The speakers will sit on stands on either side of my desk. The room is approx. 20ft x 15ft with 8ft ceilings.
I listen to headphones probably about 60% of the time and speakers the other 40%. Source would be the Essence Audio ST but would upgrade to the Isabellina DAC within a few months. I would like to use the speakers both for movies (via a ps3) and music (coming from a computer or iphone/imod, if I get an ALO dock or something).
I love my D7000s and they are my primary headphone right now.
I don't have speakers currently and would purchase them based on their synergy with the RWA Signature 30.2.
I don't see a headphone output on the Signature, how would I hook up headphones to it? Is there a battery life indicator on the front?

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 13
EHHA or B22.

Or actually going by reports the LEBEN might be a good fit for you.

I have heard the leben only on speaker rigs and they sounded great with a set of Merlin TSME

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 13
I might ask krmathis. He owns both the RWA 30.2 and the β22. Both are incredible amplifiers and capable of driving modest speaker loads. I would lean toward the β22 because you could customize it to exactly what you want it to do and look like. The β22 also supports a balanced configuration whereas the 30.2 is only stereo.

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 13
I'm not much of a DYI'er so I'd probably have to purchase one already made.  

I really like the power-less design because I have a problem with impure/inconsistent power/interference in my apt.  

How do I hook up headphones to the RWA signature? Is there an adapter that separates it into L/R?

What is this? http://pic5.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1285880886.jpg
Does it allow me to turn on and off charging via remote? (I'd cream myself if this were the case)
I was imagining the biggest drawback as being having to plug and unplug it every few nights.

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 13
I will be a bit short since it is late and overdue on bedtime.
Afaik the LCD-2 are demanding and hence you may benefit from the addition power of using a speaker amplifier (like the SIgnature 30.2), over a regular headphone amplifier. May not be so for the D7000 though. The Signature 30.2 does an excellent job driving speakers as well - at least if you match it u with a pair with relative high efficiency.
The β22 sure is a great option as well, but harder to get ahold of if you do not build one yourself.

You hook the headphone up to the speaker out taps, just like you would will full size speakers. An adaptor cable might be needed.

As for the picture, that show the battery charger and remote control for the Signature 30.2. The remove only allow you to turn the volume up and down, nothing more. Hence I believe the new ones come with a simpler remote than the one in the picture.
No battery indicator, but the charger circuit automatically turn on if the voltage drop below a set level - so it is just plug and play. Each time you turn the amplifier off it will re-charge the battery.

I will be back for further questions tomorrow. Night!
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 13
I am currently on the wait-list for the LCD-2, which is why I was asking about it as well :wink:.
I'm also interested in trying out the K1000s, especially if I do end up with the RWA Signature.

I've heard that the Omega speakers are great with Omega speakers. Which ones in particular? I'd like to keep it around $1000-$1500 (used) for a pair.
How often do Omegas pop up on Audiogon?

That's great to hear that it's "plug and play"! On the charger it loks as if there is a little screen (the part that plugs into the wall), does anything display on there)?

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 13
Hi Thinkpol,

The link to the charger you provided above (from audiogon) is the older model of the Signature 30.2.  The new version is the Signature 30.2 LFP-V Edition.
See:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/signature_302

and

http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/lfpv-edition

The Signature 30.2 works very well as a headphone amp for K1000s (which are very inefficient and require a lot of gain - which a home audio speaker amp provides), but
the Signature 30.2 is not really a headphone amp.  The Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition is a better choice:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/isabellina_hpa

I'm returning from the RMAF show as I type (wifi on the airplane
cool.gif
), and shared the room with Alex of Audeze and the Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition is a really
nice match with the LCD-2s (as well as the D-7000s).  I own the LCD-2s, and I suppose I can try making a custom adapter to allow the Sig 30.2 to power them. 

With the Sig 30.2, the negative speaker output terminals should not be connected together (they are not tied to a common GND). 

Another option is a custom Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition with speaker output stage (I could make a killer Class A stage in there that would give sweet 15 watts into 8-ohm, or
30 watts into 4-ohm.  With the LiFePO4 battery pack (and built-in tube stage between the Isabellina dac and speaker output stage) it would sound amazingly good!  And
with all the new LFP-V Editions, there is a switch on the back to allows you to charge and run at the same time for as long as you wish (for non-critical listening), or
just run on pure, high-current LiFePO4 battery power.

I am currently backlogged on orders (new LFP-V Edition products and upgrades) well into December, and my email box is flooded from RMAF.  The Absolute Sound
also wants to review the Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition - and the new phonostage is coming out soon (along with the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo, which I have been
getting ready for Apple certification), so I'm a little (I mean A LOT
wink.gif
) busy - but email or call me and we'll see what we can do.

Also - here is some LFP-V Edition feedback:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/437559/isabellina-hpa-owner-s-thread-and-impressions/345

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84680.0

As always, please let me know if you have any questions.

Finally - if you happen to be in the NYC area on November 20th, come visit me (and hopefully Alex of Audeze) at the NY Headfi meet:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/516571/official-new-york-area-meet-nov-20-white-plains-ny#post_6980237

It's going to be a smokin' good meet!

All the best,

Vinnie

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 13

Vinnie, how was RMAF?
if you can power spkrs with the Isabellina, will it also run akg K1000s, and if so how good a job does it do?
Quote:
I'm returning from the RMAF show as I type (wifi on the airplane
cool.gif
),
[snip]
Another option is a custom Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition with speaker output stage (I could make a killer Class A stage in there that would give sweet 15 watts into 8-ohm, or
30 watts into 4-ohm.  

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 13
Hi Dave,

RMAF was a great show this year!

Regarding your question, it powers the K1000s remarkably well (already tried it with my K1000s
cool.gif
)

Looks like I might have to make one special for the NY Headfi Meet next month!

Vinnie

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 13
i look forward to hearing your k1ks from both the sig 30 & the little izzy!
atsmile.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 13

sachu said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

EHHA or B22.

Or actually going by reports the LEBEN might be a good fit for you.

I have heard the leben only on speaker rigs and they sounded great with a set of Merlin TSME

Edited by sachu - 10/18/10 at 12:03pm

It saves me a lot time to look for the info, Thank for sharing these info, It's comprehensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back