Is the midrange of the DT 770 *really* that bad?
Jun 9, 2005 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Imyourzero

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been thinking about picking up a pair of DT 770-80s. I've sold my analytical cans (Etys, HD 595) and have gravitated toward fun cans (DT 531, DT 440, K240S, MS-2). I was listening to my DT 440 today, and thought "Gee, it would be nice to have this sound but with more (and slammin') bass." However, I'm concerned about the infamous recessed midrange of the 770s. I would probably get the 80-ohm version since they're more easily driven and generally regarded to have slightly improved SQ over the older 250-ohm 770s. Still, is it going to be a problem for me since I love the midrange of the MS-2s and the K240S? I've read that the DT 531's midrange is considered to be recessed also, but I like the sound of the 531...would the midrange of the 770 be as prominent as the mids of the 531, or less so?

Thanks for any help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 46
dunno about comparing with other beyers, but compared to the MS-2, yes indeedy the mids will seem lacking. it's actually not because the mids are not there - it's more because the highs and bass are just so THERE lol. For instance, if you used an EQ to scoop out the highs and lows (heaven forbid) you'd find the mids lurking there, and they sound quite nice - not grado mids of course, but still very nice.

darth beyers level the playing field, tighten up that bass, adds some slam, stretches and smooths out those highs, and the mids finally get to peek out. it's still a beast, but amazingly i actually enjoyed Vivaldi's Four Seasons with them! so again, they aren't Grado Mids, but there ARE mids.

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 46
The DT770 spectrum works well for certain kinds of music, so it depends largely on what youre listening to. IMHO it makes vocals and solo instruments sound thin. Female vocals lack resonance and "body".

IMHO the MS2 IS a lot more flat across the spectrum. Note also that its the DT770 lower mids that are recessed (300-800Hz approx), upper mids shine through with authority. The DT770 takes well to mild EQ adjustments, so its very easy to get those recessed lower mid freq's to shine more. They dont quite reach MS2 levels in terms of presence and airy-ness, but its enjoyable none-the- less.

Garrett

Jun 9, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 46
For me, unaccompanied female vocals sound incredible on DT770's; one of my favorites in this regard.

I agree with the points made that the midrange isn't really the problem, it's the lows and highs, and that these are very music-dependant. The highs can even be tear-inducing with certain music.

If you are a person who describes their taste in music as leaning toward neutrality, these are not for you.

Jun 9, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 46
It's not that the mid's are so bad, it's that the 770's are pretty much the polar opposite of the MS-2's. The MS-2's really shine in the mid's, and while the bass is firm, it doesn't have amount that the 770's do. It's a similar situation on the high end. Where the 770's for the most part a have pleasing high end, the MS-2's can sometimes be a bit much. The mid's on the MS-2's are it's strength, while they are the weakness of the 770's.

- augustwest

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
It's not that the mid's are so bad, it's that the 770's are pretty much the polar opposite of the MS-2's. The MS-2's really shine in the mid's, and while the bass is firm, it doesn't have amount that the 770's do. It's a similar situation on the high end. Where the 770's for the most part a have pleasing high end, the MS-2's can sometimes be a bit much. The mid's on the MS-2's are it's strength, while they are the weakness of the 770's.

- augustwest

which is why they make for good complimentary cans.
smily_headphones1.gif
basshead.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
The DT770 spectrum works well for certain kinds of music, so it depends largely on what youre listening to. IMHO it makes vocals and solo instruments sound thin. Female vocals lack resonance and "body".

IMHO the MS2 IS a lot more flat across the spectrum. Note also that its the DT770 lower mids that are recessed (300-800Hz approx), upper mids shine through with authority. The DT770 takes well to mild EQ adjustments, so its very easy to get those recessed lower mid freq's to shine more. They dont quite reach MS2 levels in terms of presence and airy-ness, but its enjoyable none-the- less.

Garrett

I've been finding this week that the mids on the DT770/80 are becoming distracting to me because they seem so distant compared to the highs and the lows. I listened to Poison's "Native Tongue" album (w/ Richie Kotzen on guitar) last night on the DT770's, and thought "Richie's guitar tone doesn't sound near as fat as I remembered". Listening to them tonight on the Koss KSC-75's (1 night later, and no back-to-back listening, as I've learned that's a no-no), and things sound so much better.

Sure the bass isn't near as slammin', but I'm really getting into the tunes alot easier tonight, and that goes for almost all the stuff I've been listening to tonight (Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Iron Maiden, Yngwie Malmsteen, Marilyn Manson, King's X, Richie Kotzen, Megadeth). The KSC-75's are just more rockin' to me... guess it goes to show that bass isn't everything.

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Originally Posted by augustwest

- augustwest

which is why they make for good complimentary cans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Darth Beyers/Woody remedies this problem well. Highs are rolled off, which in contrast elevates the midrange. All the while, bass deepens.

So, Jahn ... gettin' a woody?

tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 46
Bah! You know those cans are turning you to the dark side as we speak!
basshead.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I've been finding this week that the mids on the DT770/80 are becoming distracting to me because they seem so distant compared to the highs and the lows. I listened to Poison's "Native Tongue" album (w/ Richie Kotzen on guitar) last night on the DT770's, and thought "Richie's guitar tone doesn't sound near as fat as I remembered". Listening to them tonight on the Koss KSC-75's (1 night later, and no back-to-back listening, as I've learned that's a no-no), and things sound so much better.

Sure the bass isn't near as slammin', but I'm really getting into the tunes alot easier tonight, and that goes for almost all the stuff I've been listening to tonight (Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Iron Maiden, Yngwie Malmsteen, Marilyn Manson, King's X, Richie Kotzen, Megadeth). The KSC-75's are just more rockin' to me... guess it goes to show that bass isn't everything.

Yeah... I agree... what the DT770-80 does to vocals, it also does to guitar tone. overdriven guitar tones have a lot of tube saturation and cabinet resonance below ~800Hz. The DT770 slightly recesses those freq's and hence guitars sound a little thin IMHO.

DT770 guitar tone is night and day compared to an SR225, Alessandro.. or even the KSC75 as you point out.

Im starting to develop preferences.... KSC75 for portable, e2c for isolation, DT770 for drums and DVD movies, MS2 for vocals and guitar.... note there is a lot of overlap though. DT770 despite its shortcomings is still quite incredible sounding, and the MS2 CAN do drum tones very well... just not to the head-throbbing impact of the DT770.

Theyre great cans though... despite its lower mid recession. They do so many other things well.

Garrett

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #14 of 46
What exactly are Darth Beyers? Sorry, but I hear it mentioned from time to time, yet I don't know what they are.

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
What exactly are Darth Beyers? Sorry, but I hear it mentioned from time to time, yet I don't know what they are.

http://www.headphile.com/page8.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back