Is the midrange of the DT 770 *really* that bad?
Jun 10, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #16 of 46
Thanks for the replies, guys. So, evidently the problem isn't that the 770 lacks mids...it's that the bass and treble overshadow the midrange?

I definitely like my mids, so I might not be as happy with the DT 770s if they were my ONLY set of cans but it sounds like they might be a nice compliment to my other ones. Besides, according to Garrett I could always play with the EQ in order to bring out the mids a bit. If I still find the mids lacking, I could always break out the MS-2.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried using the DT 770s with an amp that has bass boost such as the PPA or SuperMacro?
basshead.gif
Or would doing so be considered a death wish? Hehehe...

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #17 of 46
In short: yes.

Personally I think DT770 are just basshead's headphones and even the bass is not accurate and it's all over the place. Plus they don't go as deep as some other headphones. There's just so much bass (mid- and upper).

BTW, these comments apply both to the stock AND Darth Beyer modi versions (80 OHm). I have auditioned the first and own the latter.

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
So, evidently the problem isn't that the 770 lacks mids...it's that the bass and treble overshadow the midrange?

I found the DT770 Pro to be lacking any and all signs of a midrange. It was horrible. Overdone bass, sibilant and BRIGHT (and I'm a Grado guy...) highs, and NO mids. IMO they're fun to listen to in tracks with a lot of bass, like techno or something, but for anything else I can't stand the can... it's horrible.

I can guarantee you that if the DT770 Pro did not have the amount of bass that it does, nobody on the board would say any good words about it.

Edit: I see you're interested in the Darth Beyers. Forget my post then
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #19 of 46
darth beyers plugged into a supermacro v1 with bassboost switch on listening to propellerheads - YOW.

and that wasn't even a bloodwoodied beyer!

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supsup
I found the DT770 Pro to be lacking any and all signs of a midrange. It was horrible. Overdone bass, sibilant and BRIGHT (and I'm a Grado guy...) highs, and NO mids. IMO they're fun to listen to in tracks with a lot of bass, like techno or something, but for anything else I can't stand the can... it's horrible.

I can guarantee you that if the DT770 Pro did not have the amount of bass that it does, nobody on the board would say any good words about it.

Wow, those are some pretty strong words!
tongue.gif
Now you (and halcyon) really have me rethinking this. Perhaps that's a good thing, because I can't demo them before I buy unless someone sends me a pair for audition.

Quote:

Edit: I see you're interested in the Darth Beyers. Forget my post then
tongue.gif

No, I was really just asking about the DT 770-80s. This was my mistake--I thought "Darth Beyers" was the nickname that ALL DT 770s had earned, not just the Headphile modded 770s. I've edited my post to eliminate any confusion. Sorry about that!

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #21 of 46
Turn the Beyers up and the mids appear. I adjust for presence. If I listen at low volumes, I feel as though my ears are being sucked out, but turn the volume up and the pressure of sound (almost) seems to become more equal. I found this on DT150's as well. Change straight over to Grados afterwards and they make your ears bleed.

The bass and treble seem to look after themselves on Beyers!!

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:39 AM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Bah! You know those cans are turning you to the dark side as we speak!
basshead.gif

Boooooooooooommmmmmmmmm!!!!
basshead.gif

Dude.
evil_smiley.gif

BTW - I'll have to experiment more when my work load let's go of my life, but CIA's VHP-1 had very nicely textured mids with 770s when I last listened via Mac G5 iTunes 4.7 Lossless > Toslink > Overture DAC > Zu Pivot IC...etc. The Overture DAC significantly enhanced dynamics and energy to every amp I've used, and really opened up the VHP-1. Portaphile V2 sounded pretty good, too ... it's top is less stratospheric than the (delicious) SR-71, and the bottom is a tad less deep but tighter and punchier -- so it sounds smoother on top, tight at the bottom and pretty good in the middle ... but I'll to listen more carefully when I'm less fried.

Jun 10, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #23 of 46
Well, perhaps I should think this over and do some more research before jumping on the DT 770s. It's clear that they aren't for everyone.

What about the DT 990? I've heard it's the open version of the DT 770. How does this affect the bass and mids, compared to the 770? I'm also sort of intrigued by the DT 250. It probably lacks the bass slam of the 770s but seems to be more balanced overall, as well as groovy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Yeah... I agree... what the DT770-80 does to vocals, it also does to guitar tone. overdriven guitar tones have a lot of tube saturation and cabinet resonance below ~800Hz. The DT770 slightly recesses those freq's and hence guitars sound a little thin IMHO.

DT770 guitar tone is night and day compared to an SR225, Alessandro.. or even the KSC75 as you point out.

Im starting to develop preferences.... KSC75 for portable, e2c for isolation, DT770 for drums and DVD movies, MS2 for vocals and guitar.... note there is a lot of overlap though. DT770 despite its shortcomings is still quite incredible sounding, and the MS2 CAN do drum tones very well... just not to the head-throbbing impact of the DT770.

Theyre great cans though... despite its lower mid recession. They do so many other things well.

Garrett

Garrett-
I'm beginning to think that, at least for the stuff I listen to, it would be worth the sacrifice of the great low end of the DT770/80 to get something that sounds better with vocals and guitar. Listening to John Sykes "Bad Boy Live" from Japan on both cans has only pushed me further in this direction. The bad thing is that there are other cans I still want to try out (MS2i, HD600, DT880), and now I'm curious as to whether or not they would be any better than the DT770 for my types of music. The Pimeta + KSC75 combo is pretty darned enjoyable for rock and metal (Blue Murder just kills on that setup!)

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Garrett-
I'm beginning to think that, at least for the stuff I listen to, it would be worth the sacrifice of the great low end of the DT770/80 to get something that sounds better with vocals and guitar. Listening to John Sykes "Bad Boy Live" from Japan on both cans has only pushed me further in this direction. The bad thing is that there are other cans I still want to try out (MS2i, HD600, DT880), and now I'm curious as to whether or not they would be any better than the DT770 for my types of music. The Pimeta + KSC75 combo is pretty darned enjoyable for rock and metal (Blue Murder just kills on that setup!)

appar111, i don't know if you've done this already, but a cheap upgrade would be to get a 75 ohm adapter for your KSC75, especially since you have an amp already. at worst, you get a MS-2 or DT770 later, but still have a killer portable can.

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
Turn the Beyers up and the mids appear. I adjust for presence. If I listen at low volumes, I feel as though my ears are being sucked out, but turn the volume up and the pressure of sound (almost) seems to become more equal. I found this on DT150's as well. Change straight over to Grados afterwards and they make your ears bleed.

The bass and treble seem to look after themselves on Beyers!!

Yeah, the DT770's beg for you to crank them up - The sound seems to fill out more at higher volumes. Bad thing is that I've been trying not to blast my ears w/ the rock as much, and it's hard not to do that w/ the Beyers..

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

appar111, i don't know if you've done this already, but a cheap upgrade would be to get a 75 ohm adapter for your KSC75, especially since you have an amp already. at worst, you get a MS-2 or DT770 later, but still have a killer portable can.

I already have the DT770/80, but I'm seriously debating selling it now to get something like the MS2i or DT880.

So the 75 ohm adaptor really makes that big of a difference, huh? I've heard that it really smooths out the high end, making them take on a more of an HD580-ish sound.

Heck, it would definitely be the cheapest route for me. I've got my Pimeta up for sale, but I'm wondering if getting a Headroom Micro or SR-71 would really be much better than the Pimeta for me. One thing's for sure, if I sell the DT770, it would make it ALOT easier on me to get one of those amps!

Jun 10, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I already have the DT770/80, but I'm seriously debating selling it now to get something like the MS2i or DT880.

So the 75 ohm adaptor really makes that big of a difference, huh? I've heard that it really smooths out the high end, making them take on a more of an HD580-ish sound.

Oh yeah i forgot you have those DT770s!

Yep the 75 ohm adapter helps tighten things up - the KSC can get a bit boomy and scratchy. I dunno about making it sound like a Senn, because it still has impact!

Jun 10, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Oh yeah i forgot you have those DT770s!

Yep the 75 ohm adapter helps tighten things up - the KSC can get a bit boomy and scratchy. I dunno about making it sound like a Senn, because it still has impact!

Now that I've spent some time with the DT770's and know their strengths & weaknesses better, I won't feel as bad about selling them because I know better what my requirements are for the music I listen to 90% of the time,and I think something with better mids (but something not too harsh on the high end) is really what I need to look for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back