Is the midrange of the DT 770 *really* that bad?
Jun 10, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp
Better mids but something not too harsh on the high end? I think you're describing the AKG 501.

perhaps, but I do need at least some low end for rock/metal music
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #32 of 46
The DT-770's are slowly becoming one of my all round favourite cans for general usage. If you took away all my headphones and said "keep one" it would be toss up between the etymotic 4S and the DT770's.

the DT-770's have great comfort, some isolation which is nice in non optimal listening enviroments, and a fun sound, if a bit bright and ressed in the mids.

If I want to listen to some music while I bang out some code or play a game or the world is going on around me or whatever, I reach for the DT-770's first. I listen to a metric ton of metal and other music on the things
smily_headphones1.gif

If I have the time/peace to do some critical listening, I may pick up something else however, so if you set aside time just for listening, in your place I probably wouldn'tpick up the DT-770's.

Edit: The 80ohm version is more than an ipod can drive properly, resulting in a loss of defination which makes them a bit less than portable alas.

Edit2: My DT-531's just turned up in the mail, like then, so I might be able to doa comparison in a bit if that would help at all.

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #33 of 46
Yeah, for just general "grab some cans and go" listening, I go for my KSC75's, if it's "set aside some time for listening" I grab the DT770's, and they just haven't been quite doing it for me lately b/c of the midrange (it's very odd for something to be bassy sounding, yet still somehow thin sounding). So the KSC75's have been more enjoyable for me overall.

Perhaps the DT880's or ER4S would be a better choice for more critical listening?

DT531's? Where'd you get those?

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #34 of 46
Yep, for rock and metal AKG 501 are almost useless
smily_headphones1.gif
. For "distorted", noisy sound I prefer AKG240 and my faithful portapros. Both are great with rock. I'm waiting a pair of "woody" darth beyers, so I hope I will give my opinion about them in the future. I expect a lot of these cans.
basshead.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
I've been thinking about picking up a pair of DT 770-80s. I've sold my analytical cans (Etys, HD 595) and have gravitated toward fun cans (DT 531, DT 440, K240S, MS-2). I was listening to my DT 440 today, and thought "Gee, it would be nice to have this sound but with more (and slammin') bass." However, I'm concerned about the infamous recessed midrange of the 770s. I would probably get the 80-ohm version since they're more easily driven and generally regarded to have slightly improved SQ over the older 250-ohm 770s. Still, is it going to be a problem for me since I love the midrange of the MS-2s and the K240S? I've read that the DT 531's midrange is considered to be recessed also, but I like the sound of the 531...would the midrange of the 770 be as prominent as the mids of the 531, or less so?

Thanks for any help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Bottom line, if you want a pair of powerful, kick you off your duff headphones, (and your not too picky about sound quality exe. mids) the beyerdynamic)))) DT 770/80s are a good investment.

junkie,

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Yeah, for just general "grab some cans and go" listening, I go for my KSC75's, if it's "set aside some time for listening" I grab the DT770's, and they just haven't been quite doing it for me lately b/c of the midrange (it's very odd for something to be bassy sounding, yet still somehow thin sounding). So the KSC75's have been more enjoyable for me overall.

Perhaps the DT880's or ER4S would be a better choice for more critical listening?

DT531's? Where'd you get those?

In reverse order:

Second hand.

I have not heard the DT-880, but it does seem more highly regarded than the 770 for critical listening. The Etymotics have a very cool (In that I think it's kinda neat) sound to me, it is detailed, revealing, blah blah blah, but they also show they are tiny drivers jammed in your ears. Unless portability/isolation was at a premium, in your shoes I'd get something else.

I don't like the Koss 75 (I have a set) for an on the go can unless the etymotics are not pratical for whatever reason (And damnit, if they are not practical, I am going to use em anyway). However, when they ety's defy being made practical, the koss are pretty ninja ;P

Background note: Most (90%+) of my listening is done in noisy enviroments, so I place a premium on isolation. All of the above is IMHO etc.

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #37 of 46
I almost never listen outside of my house, except for the occasional coffeehouse. So for portable, I basically mean being able to walk around the house freely and not have a system that needs to be plugged into the wall.

Isolation would be a big plus, but having to take them out to talk to someone, then re-insert, etc. may be bothersome in the long run.

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

I almost never listen outside of my house, except for the occasional coffeehouse. So for portable, I basically mean being able to walk around the house freely and not have a system that needs to be plugged into the wall.

Isolation would be a big plus, but having to take them out to talk to someone, then re-insert, etc. may be bothersome in the long run.

appar111, for your home needs and music preferences, the Grado is the way to go. MS-1/SR225/MS-2i/SR325i, wherever your wallet falls in that range.

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #39 of 46
DT770s and Portaphile V2 are definitely a good match.

I just compared 770s mids with SR-71 and Portaphile V2 via Overture DAC > Silver Dragon IC > Zu Pivot 1/4-1/8 adaptor cable (Mac G5 Superdrive iTunes Lossless...).

On Diana Krall "Girl In The Other Room" and "Alison Krauss+Union Station Live" SR-71 has its usual beautiful, smooth, extended sound AND, unfortunately, the hollow/thin mids, very noticeable in voices and ambience/spatial sounds. The Portaphile V2, as I remembered, definitely gives tight and punchy bass which -- despite PV2 having slightly less top and bottom extension -- seems deeper with the added impact. The top is smoother (a tad less extended upward) ... and most significantly, with its more forward presentation the mids lose much of the hollow/thin quality, coming through with fuller body and closer, more intimate presentation. This combo is also a definite plus for the bassheads.

So, with P-V2 and DT770 you get bountiful bass, smooth top end, and fuller/closer (less hollow/recessed) mids.

I can't check the CIA VHP-1 today 'cause I forgot to bring the RCA-to-mini IC with me to work.

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #40 of 46
You know I'm going to have to check out that combo at the upcoming NYC meet now.
basshead.gif

Jun 10, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #41 of 46
Im with oink1 on this one.... DT770-250s with a custom headsave amp rock my world.... no complaints what-so-ever.
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif

*Disclaimer: I listen to just about everything but mostly trance/drumnbass/techno. On the guitar note, I think Opeth in all its death-metal glory rules through these phones.

Jun 10, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Well, perhaps I should think this over and do some more research before jumping on the DT 770s. It's clear that they aren't for everyone.

Yup, the DT770Pro/250 isn't for me, either. I don't know how you perceive the sonic balance of the DT531 - but I guess one could call it slightly bowl-shaped. In comparision to that, the DT770Pro/250 would be heavily bowl-shaped. Personally, I'd say it has utterly overpowering bass, severely recessed midrange and slightly sharp, sometimes even somewhat screechy highs.

Quote:

What about the DT 990? I've heard it's the open version of the DT 770. How does this affect the bass and mids, compared to the 770? I'm also sort of intrigued by the DT 250. It probably lacks the bass slam of the 770s but seems to be more balanced overall, as well as groovy.
smily_headphones1.gif

I perceive the DT990Pro/250 as a bit smoother overall - foremost, there's still just too much bass, but it's presented in a more relaxing, dampened way, and thus midrange seems a bit less drowned out. Not a bad phone at all (well, the DT770Pro/250 isn't exactly bad either, it just seems too severely imbalanced for my taste...), but I'd only recommend it to serious bassheads.

However, you might really like the DT250/250, if you enjoy the DT531. To me, the DT250/250 sounds very similarly balanced - midrange is a bit more prominent (but maybe also a tad nasal in comparision), though, as could be exspected from a closed construction with comparatively small driver enclosures. I like that thingy. It sounds pretty neutrally balanced, but still groovy to me. Isolation is light to moderate, and comfort seems quite good to me - might be less good for real big-heads and people with rather big ears, though...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Yup, the DT770Pro/250 isn't for me, either. I don't know how you perceive the sonic balance of the DT531 - but I guess one could call it slightly bowl-shaped. In comparision to that, the DT770Pro/250 would be heavily bowl-shaped. Personally, I'd say it has utterly overpowering bass, severely recessed midrange and slightly sharp, sometimes even somewhat screechy highs.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

I thought we were talking about the DT770-80, not the DT770-250? The 80 ohm version isn't "severly recessed" (although they are indeed recessed) and doesn't have screechy highs.

Jun 11, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

I thought we were talking about the DT770-80, not the DT770-250? The 80 ohm version isn't "severly recessed" (although they are indeed recessed) and doesn't have screechy highs.

IME the high's of the DT770-80 are very similar to those of the DT880's, especially with the recable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back