Is the HD800 overpriced?
Aug 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #391 of 685
Quote:
3. Sennheiser may not allow refunds or repairs that are related to the paint job - but other repairs are warranted.

Can't most of you people understand this clause.
How in all fairness could you expect any less?

Sometimes the level of comprehension on these forums is totally abyssmal.

If there are any problems with the ColorWare paint job, it would be a no-brainer to go back to ColorWare with the problem.
If a driver failed, send it back to a Sennheiser agent or Sennheiser themselves.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #392 of 685
The above quote may be correct, but that's from a forum discussion. Colorware gives the legal disclosure on their site:

This is an aftermarket customized electronic device. All hardware related warranty service is the sole responsibility of ColorWare Inc. The original manufacturer is under no obligation to repair or refund this product. ColorWare Inc. is not an authorized reseller of Apple Inc., Dyson Inc., or Bose Inc. products. ColorWare Inc. replaces all existing manufacturer warranty policies and procedures with a ColorWare Inc. warranty, the documentation for which is included with all products purchased from ColorWare Inc. The trademarks iPhone, iPad, iPod, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac mini, Apple, Bose, Quiet Comfort, and Air Multiplier are the registered trademarks of the respective companies.

But the text does say, "All hardware related warranty service is the sole responsibility of Colorware, Inc." and "The original manufacturer is under no obligation to repair or refund this product." Based on this disclosure, Sennheiser could legitimately refuse any refunds or returns. I don't believe they would, but they have the option.

The legalese would have been less confusing if they used something like following text:

"Colorware customizes the paint job on your headphones. Your HD800 has a limited two-year warranty for normal use, excluding abuse or customer damage, on the manufacturer's discretion. Colorware, Inc. only warrants HD800's paint job." 

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #393 of 685
The price on the HD800s is inflated but the retailer makes most of that money. They've sold 17,000 sets so the price isn't scaring people away. I'm curious as to how they will price their new electrostats.

...we get everything Cost +5% Max discount 50% on discount. I work at a older Magnolia, but we can still buy things. The 800 were about $700 on discount, which is sickening, they're almost marked up 120%.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #394 of 685
Quote:
I've had may pair since the first day they were available and have never had any problem with the paint job.  

Members reported here about the paint chipping problems since day 1, as well you can check on ebay for yourself and see how many used pairs are up on sale with this paint chipping problems. This is very interesting thread about the poor paint job on HD 800.http://www.head-fi.org/t/399951/sennheiser-hd800-spray-painted-plastic-and-the-new-acid-washed-jeans

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #395 of 685
I remember here on headfi a thread about a guy that claim that he saw the HD-800 for $750 in Bucharest, Romania. This thread was down less than a day... lol, I wonder why? (BTW, this was not a spam thread, or something of that nature).

I had always suspected the vendors get 100% of the HD-800 selling price, maybe the Romanian price suggest the Sennheiser vendors get more than 100% profit.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #397 of 685
Quote:

Members reported here about the paint chipping problems since day 1, as well you can check on ebay for yourself and see how many used pairs are up on sale with this paint chipping problems. This is very interesting thread about the poor paint job on HD 800.http://www.head-fi.org/t/399951/sennheiser-hd800-spray-painted-plastic-and-the-new-acid-washed-jeans

I am well aware of this thread and also the member who started it, who criticized many different headphones over several years without even owning a pair when doing so(Look at his current profile-headphone inventory-none).  IMO a troll of sorts but whatever.  

These reports have no bearing on my statement, just stating my experience with the HD800s over years.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #398 of 685
Quote:
I am well aware of this thread and also the member who started it, who criticized many different headphones over several years without even owning a pair when doing so(Look at his current profile-headphone inventory-none).  IMO a troll of sorts but whatever.  

These reports have no bearing on my statement, just stating my experience with the HD800s over years.

I'm glad your 800's paint are not chipping off, but you probably saw many photos, and read about cases of members with paint chipping problems. BTW, the HD-800 parts are made in China, right?

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #400 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, the HD-800 parts are made in China, right?

Parts or the headphone itself?  The HD650 is made in Ireland and the HD800 says made in Germany right on the headband.  

Not that being made in Germany means anything, look at Beyer, BMW, MB and Airbus.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #401 of 685
After using the HD800 for about 2 weeks, I most certainly think that at £1000 the price is too high. Look at that price one should be looking to buy a proper speaker setup. Don't be fooled into thinking that the angled/ring drivers are going to present the music in a more speaker like manner. The thing sounds just like a headphone no matter what. Regret buying these and spending so much money.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #402 of 685
Quote:
After using the HD800 for about 2 weeks, I most certainly think that at £1000 the price is too high. Look at that price one should be looking to buy a proper speaker setup. Don't be fooled into thinking that the angled/ring drivers are going to present the music in a more speaker like manner. The thing sounds just like a headphone no matter what. Regret buying these and spending so much money.

If you're buying a headphone, you're not getting stereo speakers; end of question. If you are disappointed, it's not anybody's fault but yours unfortunately 
confused_face.gif

The fact remains that the HD800's are the best bang for the buck flagship to many including me (comparing to some Stax or LCD3/TH900), for its ability to image and recreate an out of the head sound stage (include the HE-6 in terms of value). Spend your 1000£ on any other competitor, and expect to be equally disappointed. I figure headphones are simply not meant for you and that's very understandable.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #404 of 685
Quote:
If you think 1400 is bad, I have seen cans go for 3500 - 5000 that are really not better than the HD 800's. That's what I'd call over priced...

Like the Ultrasone edition 10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back