Is the HD800 overpriced?
Apr 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #406 of 685
No those are a pair of cans I dare not hate. I mean seriously, they spew luxury out of every orifice and the reviews on their sound have been spectacular. I don't have any off the top of my head, but when I see headphones that cost $5000 or more I can't help but roll my eyes. 

The JPS Abyss?

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #409 of 685
I have read quite a few less than spectacular reviews for the Edition 10
rolleyes.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #412 of 685
Skylab hates it as well, read the thread for a laugh...

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #414 of 685
It's only overpriced if you buy it with the stock cable. Double your investment with a crystal piccolino and you'll never look back
wink_face.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #415 of 685
Strictly compared to what is out there, I don't believe they are overpriced. I don't believe their performance is $1200 greater than the your average $300 headphone, but you are probably getting one of the best neutral and detailed TOTL headphones in production which you most likely will not need to upgrade. Also, one of the most popular, so is fairly easy to resell for 80-85 of the purchase price.

Stax wins the overpriced vote from me, though no doubt it is quality. But for HD800, you do not have to buy an electrostatic amp (which would only work for electrostatic headphones), resulting in a $10000+ rig. You do have to find something that works with HD800, but it will not be anywhere near $10000 (okay, it MIGHT be). Plus, whichever headphones you already have, said amp might also be used for that as well.

I am running mine out of a vintage amp that ran me $300 and it is very sexy. Money well spent, although I still frequently go to my Audio Technica AD2000x and IEM's as well.

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #416 of 685
Well they are a few pieces of metal / plastic / velour with some speaker drivers in them.....

So in that way yes they are overpriced.... But then so is every headphone over about £500.

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #417 of 685
No, they are not overpriced. Of all the audiophile products out there, it is rather ridiculous that you should think the HD800 to be overpriced.

What people forget is that these weren't designed by grabbing some off the shelf driver and housing them. They designed a ring radiator driver. The cost of a product is more than the cost of the materials.

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #420 of 685
Quote:
No, they are not overpriced. Of all the audiophile products out there, it is rather ridiculous that you should think the HD800 to be overpriced.

What people forget is that these weren't designed by grabbing some off the shelf driver and housing them. They designed a ring radiator driver. The cost of a product is more than the cost of the materials.

When they cost $1500 and make music sound dull and boring with a free treble spike, I'd say they are overpriced. But if you are rich and like your music served up in that manner, then they are worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back