Is the HD800 overpriced?
May 10, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #376 of 685
Quote:

If you disagree with me that often, then it's likely we don't actually disagree, but have different goals to begin with, and are looking for something very different in headphones. 
wink.gif

As I said, we often disagree, at least on goals
biggrin.gif

I haven't found stereophiles to be less interested in coloration than headphiles though, so you're interested in colorless sound in both categories.  A true rare gem you are! For what it's worth I enjoy my relatively colorless K702 and my O2 amp as much as any analytical junkie.  But I confess to enjoying some of my more colored equipment more. 

May 10, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #377 of 685
Afraid you're right. If you're a new HD800 user, your best option is to take advantage of the ColorWare offer to custom paint your new unit for free. I'm not sure if the paint will last much longer, but who can tell at this point?

You know, if you're gonna drop $1500 on some HD800s why not get them custom painted? The all carbon fiber black is drool worthy.

May 11, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #378 of 685
Quote:
Whatever, you could get a speaker rig that would beat it in every way for less money.

Really?

I have never yet found any loudspeaker that could better a pair of headphones at the same price or less - never!

To equal the quality of headphones, you normally have to pay about x10 the price to get loudspeakers of similar quality.

That's why I used headphones exclusively for several years before I could afford some decent loudspeakers.

May 11, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #379 of 685
Really?

I have never yet found any loudspeaker that could better a pair of headphones at the same price or less - never!

To equal the quality of headphones, you normally have to pay about x10 the price to get loudspeakers of similar quality.

That's why I used headphones exclusively for several years before I could afford some decent loudspeakers.

problem i see here is not enough research. speakers are far more complex situation than headphones. headphones are tools also as i see them but for most people it's about convenience with headphones. more to understand with speakers. it's not just about how much it cost or simple as just toeing them in. have to learn about room acoustics,speaker acoustics,speaker placement,corssovers,type of speaker driver,impedance vs. frequency range cause speakers are very complex in those situations, amp to be used, source, ect.

most common issue with speakers with people is they spend 100's or even 1000's of dollars and have no idea what they're getting into. they think they do but really don't and end up with a disappointing system. most basic issue i see with people is room acoustics and speaker placement which is very basic audio knowledge. never understand why amateur bedroom producers know of this but so called big time audiophiles don't. makes me wonder sometimes.

in my opinion speakers offer far more bang for buck but require much more research and understanding. overall depends on the person as well of course cause i can understand where some people just don't have the room for speakers.

May 11, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #380 of 685
Afraid you're right. If you're a new HD800 user, your best option is to take advantage of the ColorWare offer to custom paint your new unit for free. I'm not sure if the paint will last much longer, but who can tell at this point?

I was going to order a second pair for my gf, but the fine print reads

"The original manufacturer is under no obligation to repair or refund this product."

... scary.. :xf_eek:

May 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #381 of 685
Quote:
I was going to order a second pair for my gf, but the fine print reads

"The original manufacturer is under no obligation to repair or refund this product."

... scary..
redface.gif

Of course - having them painted will invalidate the guarantee - what did you expect?

May 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #382 of 685
Quote:

Of course - having them painted will invalidate the guarantee - what did you expect?

I don't know what to make of this guarantee. It could mean:

1. Sennheiser isn't obligated to repair or refund the product at all. 
2. Sennheiser isn't obligated to repair faults in the paint job.
3. Sennheiser may not allow refunds or repairs that are related to the paint job - but other repairs are warranted.

Until Senn tightens up its language, I don't know what to conclude. #2 and #3 are reasonable, but #1 is a deal-breaker.

May 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #383 of 685
Quote:

Really?

You must not be sensitive to resonances then.  Headphones as a whole are plagued by resonance problems that range from moderate to severe.  Check out Purrin's CSD measurement thread if you want some objective measurements to back this up.  The HD800 is pretty good as far as headphones go, but it has other issues.  My 900 dollar powered monitors sound better than the HD800 in every single way except possibly absolute resolution since the HD800 has it's driver so close to the ear and doesn't have to move as much air.  But that's only one of many aspects of sound reproduction that are important.  And my speakers come with an amp built in, and can sound great even from an ipod.  In terms of SQ and what you get for the money, it puts the HD800 to shame. 

May 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #384 of 685
Quote:
I don't know what to make of this guarantee. It could mean:

1. Sennheiser isn't obligated to repair or refund the product at all. 
2. Sennheiser isn't obligated to repair faults in the paint job.
3. Sennheiser may not allow refunds or repairs that are related to the paint job - but other repairs are warranted.

Until Senn tightens up its language, I don't know what to conclude. #2 and #3 are reasonable, but #1 is a deal-breaker.

It's nothing to do with Senn's language - it was the language of the painter as I understood it - he was underlining the fact that painting the headphones would invalidate the Sennheiser guarantee.

If the headphones go faulty after they have been painted, I think it unlikely that they would be fixed under guarantee.

May 14, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #386 of 685
Quote:
I've had may pair since the first day they were available and have never had any problem with the paint job.  

Nor me - I had the very first pair sold in the UK - April 2009.

May 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #387 of 685
It's nothing to do with Senn's language - it was the language of the painter as I understood it - he was underlining the fact that painting the headphones would invalidate the Sennheiser guarantee.

If the headphones go faulty after they have been painted, I think it unlikely that they would be fixed under guarantee.

Ya, it's complete turn off. Only reason I was thinking of getting the second pair from ColorWare is to defeat the bad factory painting job from Sennheiser.

So buying from ColorWare and headphone breaks then you are really screwed.

May 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #388 of 685
Quote:
Ya, it's complete turn off. Only reason I was thinking of getting the second pair from ColorWare is to defeat the bad factory painting job from Sennheiser.

No problem with the Sennheiser paint job on my pair ???

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #390 of 685
Quote:

Really?

Try some Adams in acoustics control room...out of curiosity, how old are you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back